The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 9, 2009, 11:52 AM   #1
Jack.Ruby

case guage

anyone know of a good case gauge for the 9mm Luger?
new to reloading and would like to spot check rounds in it.
I like the Lyman style.

any comments...?
Old December 9, 2009, 12:07 PM   #2
rwilson452

The best case gauge you can get is the barrel out of your gun.
Old December 9, 2009, 12:23 PM   #3
hank_scorpio

Midway has a few to choose from.
Old December 9, 2009, 12:24 PM   #4
amathis

+1 to rwilson

Unless you are trying to return the case to factory specs you don't need one. All you need is your chamber. If it doesn't fit, something has to be fixed.
Old December 9, 2009, 12:24 PM   #5
Doodlebugger45

To be honest, I didn't know anything about case length gauges when I started reloading. Never even heard of them. What I did was use a round of good factory ammo and compared my stuff with that. I would peer very closely at them sitting side by side to make sure my brass was the same length. Then when I was seating and crimping the bullets, I would put the factory round in the press and adjust the die down until it made contact with the factory round and set the crimping and seating that way. Then I would load my own first round and again compare them side by side to make sure they were exactly the same and make small adjustments if they weren't the same. It worked just fine for me, although I realize that revolvers aren't quite as fussy as autoloaders.
Old December 9, 2009, 12:59 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

To answer your question, yes. Midway has the L.E. Wilson gauge on clearance for $17. They are the step kind, with the ends of the case having to fall within the steps at each end of the gauge to meed SAAMI specs and be compatible with all SAAMI compliant chambers. If you are setting up a shared loading tool and don't know what gun will shoot the ammo, as many clubs and LE armory's have, then this could be useful. For the individual, the chamber drop-in usually makes the most sense unless you have several guns the same caliber that will share the ammunition. I think that's likely why these are on clearance. They are good quality, but probably don't sell all that well.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 9, 2009, 01:16 PM   #7
Tex S

I don't understand the point of a case gauge. Keep in mind I have never owned one, or even held one to see how they work, but I have made alot of good ammo without using one. Won't a good pair of calipers work just as well?
Old December 9, 2009, 02:42 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Dropping cases of unknown origin into one of those is a way to quick sort. It checks both length and diameter simultaneously. You can run into the problem, especially with brass put through automatic weapons, that they will sometimes not resize back enough to fit all chambers, and the gauge makes it quick to cull those after cleaning and sizing them for the first time. If you are just loading for your own weapon, though, it's a luxury convenience item. You can check length with the calipers the first time you size the brass, then just use your barrel and a bullet (shouldn't slip into the mouth) to judge width. Once they've been successfully loaded and fired in your gun, there is no longer any question about them sizing down small enough. Then you can keep an eye on length by random sampling with the caliper here and there.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 9, 2009, 04:18 PM   #9
BigJimP

I use a case gague all the time / I buy mine from Dillon.

I pick up a lot of brass at indoor ranges (stuff comes out of Glock police guns, rental guns, etc ..) / and the last check I do, as I box rounds up - is run them thru a case gage. If they drop in and out easily - then they get boxed up. If they don't - I look for a crack that I missed in my initial inspection or a burr on the case edge or something / pull the bullet and reclaim components and toss the case.

To me, using a case gague, is an important last step in ensuring you have quality ammo that will feed in your gun reliably 100% of the time. I don't want to wonder about feeding issues - in a match ....
Old December 9, 2009, 09:52 PM   #10
bignz

+1 on Dillon
Old December 10, 2009, 02:13 AM   #11
tom234

+2 Dillon, they're less expensive than those at Midway.
Old December 10, 2009, 08:10 PM   #12
langenc

Have always used RCBS dies but recently did one and got Hornady 308.

I loaded w/out case guage and none of it would chamber. Brass was FL sized (I thought). I unloaded and resized and had to adj die very tight. Sometimes the expander can come out VERY tight and I think that stretches the neck. I always use a case gauge and will always use RCBS from now on.
Old December 10, 2009, 09:47 PM   #13
happycamper

I am fairly new to reloading but it was suggested to me to get a case gauge. I started off with 9mm.
After I found a load I liked, I load some whenever I have time until I have 1000 or so loaded up.
Then I'll take them into the house and check every one of them in the case gauge while watching TV or something with the family. I usually find a dozen or so that won't drop all the way in.
The ones that pass the test are then put into the "ready to shoot" cans and I know they will chamber when needed.
Sure I could use the chamber of a barrel. The inexpensive case gauge is just a lot more convenient to take into the house and check every round with.
This is just my .02 cents.
Old December 10, 2009, 10:15 PM   #14
barhob

hey jack.ruby,

USE the barrel or chamber of the gun you are loading for on any straight wall case.
a case length guage is just that, to check the max length and/or width of a loaded round or sized case. a guage can be different than your gun.
.001 over can jam a round.

when you seat a bullet in a used case, and the brass has been worked before, the brass may be soft.

seating the bullet, especially with jacket bullet can and does bell out the bottom near the case head on some cheap brass.

your round will then not chamber properly and stick in the chamber.