The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 26, 2008, 09:42 AM   #1
pfch1977

Which trigger should I use?

4.5lb? 5.5lb? NY trigger? or should I just put the Glock down and go back to the 6lb DAK or to the ole revolver that takes a bowling ball to pull the trigger?

I just shoot at paper, clay and other things that dont move. Whats the advantage of the heavy and lighter trigger setups?
Old September 26, 2008, 09:49 AM   #2
Sparks2112

My Glock 21SF has the smoothest 7.5 lb trigger I've ever felt. I threw the Ghost 5.0 LB trigger connector in it, and with the way it's sprung, comes up at a very clean 7.5 lbs. I could have sworn it was 4, but, anyway.

Lighter trigger is better for target shooting. Heavier trigger is percieved as better for defense / carry so that a scum bucke.... errr .... lawyer can't say you accidentally shot someone. I don't think it's actually better since I've yet to accidentally shoot someone, but, why cause potential trouble for yourself...
J.M. Johnston
Old September 27, 2008, 03:27 PM   #3
David Armstrong

The NY-1 trigger has ben my favorite for a carry gun. Good pull and fast reset. FWIW, the NY-1 was also the recommended set-up by the instructors at my first 3 Glock Armorer courses and when I went through the Glock Instructor course.

Last edited by David Armstrong; September 27, 2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old September 27, 2008, 03:44 PM   #4
Hondo11

If you're just cutting paper, then go with whatever you want/like best. A lot of competition guys use LIGHT triggers...2#...sometimes less. I have an STI for cutting paper that has one of the finest trigger jobs I have ever had- 2.75-3 pounds, and so smooth and crisp that it feels more like 1#.

If I'm carrying a Glock, I just use the factory trigger or a 3.5# connector. I usually carry a 1911, and I go with a 3.5#. I simply shoot more accurately with a lighter trigger and not hitting anyone but the bad guy is always a plus. To me, accuracy is paramount- even above pre-gaming the lawyers- because if you're pulling the trigger, you REALLY need to be hitting what your intending to hit and not anyone else...for YOUR safety as well as everyone else's.

Just my opinion...they vary greatly.
Old September 28, 2008, 02:37 PM   #5
pfch1977

Will a sacrifice accuracy? My experience is that the less accurate shot.
Old September 28, 2008, 02:49 PM   #6
Brit

The one that comes in the box!

For at least the past year, the new G19s, that I have tested, right out of the box, a 5lb trigger that is so smooth, but crisp, seems lighter than the 5lbs they weigh in at, even the two I have bought, clean as glass.

The great advantage of the factory standard, 2k (5lb) in a G19, my favorite glock, if you go to places you can not transport a personally owned pistol, using a borrowed weapon, no problem at all, it feels the same as your left behind Gun.

Shooting many rounds with the factory standard, 5 lbs trigger leaves your brain/finger in a position of no surprises, at home or away from home.

The shots fired are the same, the reset the same, your life might be on the line, or you might be shooting an IDPA match for instance, with a borrowed
Glock 19, you should always use an identical trigger.

Quite possibly the different differences in trigger weights are overrated as a place to attack you in a law suite, the same in your shocking Dumb Dumb rounds (Hollow Points) being deployed against the poor under privileged criminal who tried to stab you! But it is a good idea, using the same trigger always.
Old September 28, 2008, 06:26 PM   #7
Keltyke

My main carry piece is a Steyr M40-A1, a large .40 cal. semi. The trigger pull is about 5.5 pounds and feels really good. I also carry a Taurus 85UL with light Wolff springs at around 5.5 pounds in DA. My wife has a Colt Defender that has a 4.5 pound (I think) pull that's almost a little light for SA, but DOES feel REALLY nice. Along with pull pressure, I think how smooth and snappy the trigger feels has a LOT to do with it.
Old September 29, 2008, 12:59 PM   #8
David Armstrong

Quote:
Will a harder pull sacrifice accuracy? My experience is that the harder pull does lend to a less accurate shot.
No. A bad pull will cause accuracy trouble. Most DA revolvers have/had trigger pulls in excess of 12 pounds, but if it is smooth there isn't any trouble.
Old September 29, 2008, 04:05 PM   #9
Hondo11

The heavier the trigger, the more your finger is involved. The more your finger is involved (the harder it has to work), the higher the probability for human error/interference. (Read "the muzzle moves when your finger is pulling against the trigger). Pretty simple stuff.

That's not to say that you can't shoot well, or well enough, with a heavy trigger. It's really up to the shooter. Someone who's used to a heavy trigger might shoot worse with a lighter one. When you introduce the human factor into the equation, anything's possible. But absent the human component, the lighter/crisper, the more inherent accuracy.
Old September 29, 2008, 05:33 PM   #10
easyG

While certainly don't believe that "Glock perfection" nonsense, I do believe that Glocks work best when they are un-modified.

In other words....leave you Glock stock and it will not let you down!
Old September 29, 2008, 06:14 PM   #11
Edward429451

Whats wrong with a factory trigger? It's just a matter of getting used to it. Accuracy only suffers if you do not apply proper marksmanship fundamentals.

When I first got my G21 I thought it had the craziest trigger ever. I soon got used to it and love that short reset. Buy more ammo with the money you'd have spent on the fancy trigger. Sleep better knowing that no cheese eater can rake you over the coals for an aftermarket.

Remember that 1/2" groups are impressive on the range, but not needed for SD. If you can shoot 6" groups with your Glock at 7 yds, man, thats headshots and the stuff legends are made of.
Old September 30, 2008, 06:19 PM   #12
Night Watch
Registration in progress

In any event a nice Lone Wolf 4.5# connector won't do any harm and might actually improve the way you feel about your Glock's trigger. With a Glock, repetitive fire takes place from the trigger's reset position. You can't compare a Glock't trigger, in any of its various manifestations, with a SIG's DAK trigger - It's just not an apples for apples comparison.

If you're just goof 'in with these pistols it hardly matters what you play with. One's as good as another. I've used my Glocks to shot against plenty of SIG's; it's the gunman, not the pistol or trigger.

There need to be other considerations before you are able to make any definitive decision between using a Glock, or a SIG. If range time is all you're interested in I suspect you'll be happier with the much prettier (and usually more expensive) SIG pistol. For when things get down and dirty I trust my life to the Glock pistol I carry everyday. Among other things, it's got an LWD 4.5# connector, complete polish job, heavier FP and trigger return springs, a fixed LWD trigger stop, and Wolff steel guide rod.

It cost me over $1,300.00 dollars to build; I'm thoroughly practiced with it; and, I have never regretted not buying that SIG 220 I was also looking at. Best of all? I can keep it up and running from my workbench without ever, again, talking to those idiots at Smyrna; and, that's exactly the way I intend to keep things - too.