The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 3, 2008, 01:34 PM   #26
davlandrum

Glad you enjoyed it!

My wife hates it when I go solo, since it is big public land. I try and mitigate her fears by printing out a map of the area I am going, marking where I think the truck will be, making imprints of my boot soles (step on a piece of aluminum foil on the carpet, makes a nice print if they have to go look for you). I also carry enough stuff to handle most situations with me at all times.

She grew up in the City, so the whole concept is way out of her comfort zone, but she puts up with it.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old January 3, 2008, 04:01 PM   #27
Buzzcook

I'm glad you had fun.
How many acres is your lease and what kind of terrain?

Getting to know the lay of the land will give you a real advantage over your buddies.

Take the wife along a few times.
Old January 10, 2008, 02:32 AM   #28
106RR

Solitude

I took a very memorable solo trip to the Sinkyone Wilderness on the North Coast of California. This was spring camping, not hunting but the same precautions apply. Cali has a few more drug dealers and growers than most places so I had to bring self defense gear. I had a great time! I wish you well in this endeavor. The late Townsend Whelan said "A man is not competent until he can stalk alone and armed in the wilderness"
Old January 11, 2008, 03:30 PM   #29
grymster2007

Sounds like it worked out well for you SkySlash, but I think it worthwhile to keep the thread alive.

I don’t hunt, but I’ve been camping alone a few times. I call it “getting aboriginal with my bad self”! It is a lot of fun and this thread reminds me I’m over due.

I think Art is right; it’s not so much the physical things you bring, but knowledge, skills and abilities that ensure survival and beyond. Reading up on survival is an excellent start, but practice brings invaluable experience. On our annual “Man Camp” trip, where there are anywhere from 2 to 10 guys, I sometimes build a shelter out back of my tent, just to have the experience. Sometimes I’ll practice building a fire with no matches, or make a stick compass or I’ll condense potable water from a pile of wet leaves. I get some crap from the guys, but it’s all good-natured and the experience builds confidence. When one is confident in their knowledge, skills and abilities, surviving will most likely be easy and thriving will be what makes the experience incomparable to any other.

Yep… highly recommend it!
Old January 11, 2008, 04:02 PM   #30
davlandrum

Funny story (in hind sight). When I was just starting to hunt, I ended up in Eastern Oregon where we were going to bowhunt by myself due to everyone else having work commitments.

I got in later than I had hoped, so just rolled out a sleeping pad and sleeping bag under my jeep, had some supper and went to bed. Of course, I was keyed up, so was having a hard time sleeping.

I heard something walking around, gave a shout and it ran off. I actually got up and drank a couple of beers to work up a good full bladder and proceeded to mark my campground...

Made me feel better, not sure if it did any good......

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old January 11, 2008, 05:16 PM   #31
Bailey Boat

Hunting and camping alone will tell you more about yourself that you may want to know. I do this quite a bit and learn something new every time I go.

I don't do the "can of beans" routine, I fix myself a full meal just as I would if I were at home, sometimes better because my wife doesn't share my appreciation for finer things like black eyed peas, turnip greens and Hominy. To me it's about the "me" time, I'll talk to myself, my dearly departed Lab, to the squirrels, well, you get the idea. So your never really "alone"......

Whatever you do heed the precautions mentioned above concerning safety but remember that your there to enjoy yourself and have an "experience" that you can't enjoy if other people are present......