The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 12, 2008, 10:09 PM   #1
BIGR

Electronic Game Caller

Looking to buy one of the electronic game callers that uses a remote, mainly for predators and crows. Whats a good brand and whats the pros and cons to them?
Old January 13, 2008, 03:47 PM   #2
FrontSight

They were very expensive last I checked. If you already have an ipod, a cd player, or any other mp3 player then you can build you own for a lot less (won't be remote, tho, but will be with wires from you all the way to the speaker).

Send me a PM and I will hook you up with instructions, or if you prefer then I've been thinking about assembling and selling them, actually; let me know what works better for you.
Old January 13, 2008, 10:27 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've done okay with a cheap "baby boom box" cassette player, the kind with detachable speakers. Just use one speaker and some 50' or so of wire.

At night, just set it next to the truck. Ol' Wily doesn't seem to care.
Old January 14, 2008, 08:06 PM   #4
shepherddogs

I too am interested in a game caller. Johnny Stewart has one called the Preymaster 4. It looks like the original PM only with wireless remote control. I'm interested in coyote hunting. A few months ago I heard them howling in the woods across the street from my house. It amazes me that they are apparently living right around me but I have never seen one. I did see one about 3 miles from here crossing the road. My dogs start acting stangely and I figure thats when they're nearby.
Old January 17, 2008, 08:08 AM   #5
USNairman

Yeah I will second the idea of building your own. You can build one that is remote if you use a Nady wireless microphone system. You can build a very nice e-caller that is remote controlled and will allow you to download your own sounds for around $150 and will be on par as the $400 fox pro's.

Go to predatormasters.com and check out the ecaller section and you will find all the info you could ever want.
Old January 17, 2008, 12:27 PM   #6
fivepaknh

I've had 3 and still have two of them.

I have a Foxpro 532B that holds 32 calls and has a remote range of about 100 yards. You can change the sound on it with an adapter from Foxpro that cost about $40. It's about the size of one of those 6V flashlights and looks a lot like a flashlight. Cost was $450 for a refurbished unit.

I just bought a Foxpro Scorpion for $500. It holds 200 calls and has a remote range, line of sight, about 400 yards. You can change sounds easily on the Scorpion via a cable connected to your pc. The caller comes with the cable. It has the best remote of all the callers on the market. It has a light up display and the volume on each call can be pre-set. The caller can fit in the back pocket of a pair of jeans. A tight fit, but it will fit. I like to travel light and this was a key feature.

I just sold a Minaska Big Country Bandit that I paid $550 for. It held 100 calls and was the easiest to change sounds on. The sounds are stored on a compact flash card. The caller is made from a Pelican case which makes swapping sound cards very easy to do in the field. The caller worked fine, but was kind of large. It has greater volume than my other two callers, but for the New Hampshire woods I don't need that much volume.

There are cheap callers that go for under $100 that from I hear work fine. Most people use a hand call to bring them close, then use the inexpensive electronic caller (low volume) to seal the deal.

They all work great for calling in critters. It just depends on what you're willing to spend and what features are important to you. You can learn a lot more about the callers available on the market at Predator Masters Forums. The site is almost exclusively about coyote calling.
Old January 19, 2008, 02:42 PM   #7
BIGR

Thanks for all the info guys. I use to use a boom box for the crow hunting that I did a few years ago. Heck I guess I am getting slack. Bout time to educate some crows and cotytes near the house here. I hate to send much over $300 for a caller though, but it might take a decent one to get oh wiley coyote. Got to do something the suckers are about to carry us off.

I have some thick woods nearby but also have the option of some open fields. Just trying to figure out which location to hunt from. Don't know which direction they will come from.