The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 18, 2002, 06:08 PM   #1
gflip

S&W Model 41 problem

I recently purchased a 7.5" S&W Model 41. It's certainly broken in after 1400 rounds. I thoroughly clean and lube after every 100 rounds.
Problem: the gun handles high-velocity rounds perfectly. With standard or "target" ammo, after 40 or 50 rounds it starts having problems. The symptoms are of underpowered ammo: stovepipes, failure to strip a round off the mag. The gun should be able to handle standard ammo, right? The only defect I've noticed is a couple slight rough spots on the inside of the slide.

Any ideas are welcomed!
Thanks
Old September 18, 2002, 10:19 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

If it functions for 40-50 rounds OK, then the problem is most likely a buildup of powder fouling or bullet lube in the action, especially around and under the extractor, and in the extractor slot in the barrel. A Model 41 is closely fitted, but it should go several hundred rounds without a problem.

How many kinds of target ammo have you tried? There is a tendency to label every cheap store brand of ammo as "target" ammo, even if it won't shoot for beans.

If you want to use "target" ammo, buy the good stuff (RWS, Ely, Federal) and pay the piper. Otherwise, if the gun shoots with the High Speed ammo, use it. That is not a plinking gun for use with cheap ammo; it deserves the best.

BTW, mine shoots superbly with Remington "golden bullet" high speed.

Jim
Old September 18, 2002, 10:20 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Wolff sells softer recoil springs that might let it cycle better with the standard speed stuff.
www.gunsprings.com
Old September 19, 2002, 10:06 AM   #4
gflip

RE: Model 41 problems

I've tried Winchester std velocity, Federal Gold Match and Remmington Target. The Winchester and Federal seem fairly clean.
Old September 19, 2002, 11:23 AM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would stick with the cleanest that gives the best results on paper. Cleaning is important with those guns, but I have had mine get plenty dirty and still function. You might try a lighter spring, but I would switch it back out if shooting high speed ammo.

Jim
Old September 20, 2002, 06:15 AM   #6
Khornet

My 41

Has distinct preferences about standard-velocity ammo, and when it doesn't like ammo it shows the same malfunctions you describe. Just shop around. Mine is definitely more tolerant since it got lighter springs from Wulff, and I never use hi-speeds in it anyway.

Such sweet pistols!
Old September 20, 2002, 04:31 PM   #7
VictorLouis

Gun's not intended for use with HV loads, AFAIK. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it will fall apart with them. I would also try a lighter recoil spring from Wolff's.
Old September 20, 2002, 04:36 PM   #8
gflip

S&W 41

I called S&W and they insist I send it in.
Old September 20, 2002, 05:13 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, VictorLouis,

It has been a while since I read the papers that came with the gun, but I don't recall any warnings about not using high speed ammo, and mine does very well with it.

Jim
Old September 20, 2002, 05:21 PM   #10
gflip

I read the manual last weekend and it just says to use 22 Long Rifle, nothing more. No cautions or recommendation.
Old September 21, 2002, 06:36 AM   #11
slickpuppy

As JK mentioned, the lube and powder fouling will get ya on the low velocity stuff. I shoot a lot of Eley and the lube they use is pretty messy. From my Ransom Rest testing I found at 100 rounds any .22 cartridge causes the accuracy to fall off and use that as a good cleaning point for the gun.

A few years back I did some extensive testing with a wide variety of .22 ammo and went so far as to measure rim thickness, weight, and OAL. The ammo with the least variance by brands and their respective varieties were Eley and - surprise, surprise - CCI.

For low cost fodder in my 41 I use CCI. Over the years it has given me the least problems in all my .22s. As for high velocity rounds in a 41 I do shoot CCI Mini Mags on occasion, but, generally stick to the lower velocity rounds.

Nothing but Eley Tenex goes through the Walther and Hammerli though.
Old September 24, 2002, 11:13 AM   #12
VictorLouis

I've seen it posted more than once that the factory tests them with CCI Std. My owners manul pictures the 70s-80s version of the gun with the rear sight from their revolvers. I'm going to give it a look and see. In any case, if hi-vel is the usual diet, I would up-spring it with an extra power unit from Wolff's.