The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 11, 2012, 09:57 PM   #1
BPRenegade

I got this rifle....

I recently inherited a TC renegade, ( not the ability to spell) and i'm guessing it was made in the 70's or 80's. Not long after its birth, It was quickly and neatly rebarreled with a Green mountain barrels 1:26(?) long range hunter conical barrel.
Along with a new barrel, it was fitted with a bullet proof williams reciever peep sight. its a handsome, hefty rifle, a screamin shooter, and a killing machine! but i'm hesitant to realy pack it round just yet.... god forbid a rifle should ever be dropped.
JUST HOW TOUGH IS THIS THING?!
If anyone has any thing helpfull i'm much appreciative-
Thanks

Last edited by BPRenegade; August 11, 2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old August 12, 2012, 05:07 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

BP

I am not a long arm shooter but there are plenty of them here who will have something of substance to say.

I just want to welcome you to the forum.

Happy shooting.
Old August 12, 2012, 08:21 AM   #3
Beagle333

The Renegade is a nice rifle. I have one with a .56 smoothbore barrel and a .50 rifled barrel. It is a great shooter and parts are available if you should ever figure out how to tear one up. So use it and enjoy!
Old August 12, 2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Pahoo

Beagle333 + 1

Quote:
JUST HOW TOUGH IS THIS THING?!
Plenty tough and really not sure what your concerns are. I believe the last time I looked at the specs, it's rated for a max load of 120grn. You better be hanging on. ....

There is a group of "Buckskinners" that I know, who take a week off and set up a deer camp. Currently, most are using Renegades in .54. Might also add that I have never had to repair one. Unless you are a Bull of the Woods, the Renegade will provide great performance. ....

Trust and;
Be Safe !!!
Old August 12, 2012, 10:40 AM   #5
PetahW

Inheriting a gun gives mixed freelings - sorrow at one's loss & elation at one's gain.
Please accept our consolations & congratulations.

The GM conical bbl should be marked (1:28) with the twist - is it a .50, a .54, or a .58 ?

Either way, Renegades have thick, 1" (across-the-flats) bbls, that are plenty hefty for "magnum" charges (as already noted).

The load will depend more upon what the shooter's shoulder can withstand, than the rifle, IMHO - as they're hell for stout.

I use FFFg Holy Black in my .54, and to tell the truth, like it better than my CF metallic rifles.

I prefer a Renegade for hunting, since they don't have heavy/shiney brass fittings like Hawkens, etc.

Last edited by PetahW; August 12, 2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old August 12, 2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
I prefer a Renegade for hunting, since they don't have heavy/shiney brass fittings like Hawkens.
Realistic Hawken's don't.
Old August 12, 2012, 07:53 PM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Hello and good day. BPRenegade Nice to have a another T/C guy here.

I like the bling on my Hawken's. I just let it get tarnished some before heading out into the woods with it. But being it's brass has lost its shine over the years. "It still looks pretty in the gun rack!!"_ As far as dropping your Renegade. Depends on how and what it makes contact with. Like any other long gun it can be damaged. Since you said this rifle is equipped with a G/M 1-28 quicky twist. Do you have its original factory barrel? Again its nice to have you here.
Old August 13, 2012, 10:03 PM   #8
BPRenegade

oops...

I suppose i may have phrased that wrong. i should have said "was given" in stead of "inherited". Still I dearly appreciate your up front respect.
Also, being a VERYnew member, i would like to add that all of you thus far are outstandingly polite, friendly and good natured all around. I browsed through the modern arms section and found how many arm chair commandos, tactical timmy's, and gung ho blow hards there are over there. i am very happy to be among reall world, good folks.
To answer a previous question, no the barrel is not stamped with the twist rate. However, it is a .50 and i've had good luck with a stash of R.E.A.L. conicals i found in the barn... shoots like a house on fire . I've not shot much of any unreall distance, but aint scared to crank my powder on up to 110 grns........ YEEHAW is the only word that comes to mind. I've shot some big mean, ugly, nasty rounds in my short life so far, but i'm impressed and in love at the same time.
Once again thanks to all you kind gentlemen and we'll be in touch-

BPRenegade--
Old August 14, 2012, 10:22 AM   #9
Pahoo

Again, Welcome !!!

Quote:
arm chair commandos, tactical timmy's, and gung ho blow hards there are over there.
Hope you don't mind me using these terms, in the future. ....
I also think that you will find your twist to be 1:48" but you can measure this yourself at some point. Some Renegades but not most, came with double set triggers. If your does, it's a plus. ....

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!
Old August 14, 2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Just to be helpful Pahoo. I hope you don't mind.
The OP said the barrel on this rifle was replaced with a aftermarket one. This rifle is now Sporting one of those newfangled G/Mtn LRH Barrels. I believe comes standard with a quicky twist of (1-28.) I've asked earlier if this OP still had its original barrel? But He hasn't answered my question. (No big deal that He hasn't.)___ I just wrote this thread to enlighten you a little is all. As I didn't have anything else better to do today.~~~ So far. ._ _->The benefit of doing so ->it's a twofer!!_ I get a point added to my over all score also.__ _lol
Old August 14, 2012, 12:52 PM   #11
Pahoo

It's always in the details !!!

Quote:
To answer a previous question, no the barrel is not stamped with the twist rate.
Sorry I missed the replacement barrel on the OP and only caught his last post. Thanks for the correction. ....
If he is getting good performance with the R.E.A.L. conicals, it must be a fast twist. I'd measure it, just for my own satisfaction !!! ..

Be Safe !!!
Old August 14, 2012, 02:03 PM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Pahoo Said: I'd measure it, just for my own satisfaction !!! ..
Pahoo that's a Good suggestion Sir.__ BPRenegade: I got one of these quickie twists in stainless for my own T/C smoke pole. To date I haven't found it any better shoot'in than my factory 1- 48 is. Although I haven't tried Lee Real Bullets yet either.
Old August 14, 2012, 02:14 PM   #13
Hawg

1:48 handles Lee REALS and Maxi Balls ok. Not too shabby with PRB's.
Old August 14, 2012, 05:38 PM   #14
BPRenegade

YES! it does have a glorious double setter- always been a set trigger fan.
and when i stick a light in there it appears to make only one turn , with a 28 inch barrel, and never realized how many friggin grooves its got but it must be due to the diameter of this thunderus bore i haven't dealt much with in the past.... and to correct myself once more, i have yet to slap this thing on a bench, but i haven't yet missed a rabbit at 50 yrds&change.

Tags
black powder rifle , tc renegade