The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 24, 2012, 08:52 AM   #1
janieoakley

New FS M&P9 vs Hornady bullets problem

Hubby just bought me my first new M&P FS 9mm last Saturday at the gun show in town. Took it right to the back yard range with a bunch of WWB, Federals and PMC's target rounds. They all shot great with absolutely no problems. I'm even a better shot with it!!!! Love it However, today I decided that I wanted to shoot my personal defense rounds just to be sure that if shooting for defense there would be no problems. WELL, first bullet out of the gun shot great, went to pull the trigger again and nothing was there! Dropped the magazine and it looked like the bullet was not seated in the barrel and the slide was back about 1/4". Cleared that one, reloaded, shot again and it did that every other bullet throughout that magazine. I could actually feel the guns slide not properly seating. First thought, let's try another magazine. I loaded a new one with the Hornady's and same thing. Sometimes it would be every 3rd or 4th bullet, but my gun doesn't seem to like Hornady's!! I finished my day with four more magazines of WWB's and other target rounds without a glitch. Anyone have any ideas for me. Now I'm scared to keep the Hornady's in my gun for self defense. I'll keep it loaded with the WWB's for now.
Old October 24, 2012, 09:06 AM   #2
janieoakley

I forgot to mention: Weight was 124gr. Some were the red tipped critical defense and others were without the red tip. I'm very concerned about this
Old October 24, 2012, 10:30 AM   #3
TunnelRat

1. I'm not a Hornady fan to begin with.
2. Have you tried a different self defense ammo? There are countless out there. Speer Gold Dots are usually pretty easy to find. Federal HST, Winchester Ranger T, etc. If you still have issues might be a sign of a gun problem. Some guns don't like certain ammo, though from my experience my M&Ps in 9 and 45 have fed just about anything (but again I never tried Hornady).
Maintain situational awareness
Old October 24, 2012, 10:47 AM   #4
sigcurious

I am unsure of how similar/different the FS and C models are in regards to the dimensions and tolerances involved in feeding. However FWIW, I have run the critical defense through mine C with no issues. Definitely try other brands as TunnelRat suggested.
Old October 24, 2012, 12:01 PM   #5
janieoakley

Thanks Guys, going to get some Speer Gold Dots today. Can't take a chance on my life depending on it. If I was in a critical defense situation I probably wouldn't remember how to clear my jam!!! Hey I'm just a girl
Old October 24, 2012, 12:22 PM   #6
RamItOne

Hornady tap 147gr runs fine in my M&P
Old October 24, 2012, 12:28 PM   #7
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Quote:
Hey I'm just a girl
Erika is "just a girl"

Range time with Cory and Erika
Old October 24, 2012, 12:53 PM   #8
TunnelRat

Quote:
Erika is "just a girl"
Indeed she is...and while I enjoy looking at her a part of me kind of wonders about guys that post videos of their gfs in booty shorts shooting firearms. She's a capable shooter in her own right and that should be enough to warrant views, the "interesting" attire really isn't needed.

Being a girl is no hindrance to proper weapon manipulation. Training to handle malfunctions is always a good idea. Feces occurs.
Maintain situational awareness
Old October 24, 2012, 12:58 PM   #9
Rifleman1952

Speer is, IMHO, the number one self-defense ammo manufacturer. I also like Hornady ammo a lot, and it has worked well in every handgun I have ever owned except one (Kahr CW-45). Corbon and Winchester also make great personal defense ammo. I usually carry either Speer or Hornady, but mostly Speer now, because of their "Short Barrel" line, which is engineered specifically for smaller CCW type weapons.

Part of the fun in getting a new gun, is experimenting to find out which ammo works best in it: How it chambers, the amount of recoil, accuracy, etc. You want to feel comfortable and confident in the ammo you select. Below are two pretty good Youtube field test videos of some Speer 115gr 9mm & 124gr 9mm +P, using denim and ballistics gel.

Speer 115 gr 9mm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2s82...feature=relmfu

Speer 124 gr 9 mm+P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdXfD...feature=relmfu

Last edited by Rifleman1952; October 24, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old October 26, 2012, 02:13 AM   #10
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Tunnel rat,

Erika and Corey are firearm instructors in Indiana.

ETA: She dresses like the other girls I know dress in hot weather out in the Midwest. In colder weather she wears appropriate clothing.
Old October 26, 2012, 03:19 AM   #11
LockedBreech

My two cents? Stick with ATK manufacture for defense ammo. So Speer Gold Dot and Federal HST. Excellent, proven designs with superb quality control. Hornady has some innovative designs but even just in the last year I've seen reports of their pistol rounds being low on powder, having loose primers, having improperly seated bullets, etc.

No idea why, as their rifle cartridges are outstanding.

I do Gold Dot and HST. Remington Golden Saber in guns that tend to be finicky like my LCP or a 1911. I think a Speer Gold Dot 124 +p or a Federal HST 147 would go well with the M&P.
Old October 26, 2012, 04:35 AM   #12
warningshot

I think the OP is right on money. She did her part. I have my own ideas on this M&P and fancy dancy ammo. And this women is living my concearns about being the best, the smallest, cheapest, consumer focus driven meeting, lowest bidder consumer nonsense that has no place in SD equipment selection.

For her sake I hope S&W and Hornady get this right. Get it right for her, and for you and me next time.

The tag team of Mr. Walther PPK and Mr. Beretta 34 along with hardware store .380 & 32 FMJs didn't let any street creep I knew about get away with too much because they didn't work well together. I suppose they call this progress.
Old October 26, 2012, 10:47 AM   #13
MrApathy

did you check your bullets to see if they were hitting rifling in the barrel before seating all the way?

Hornady XTP's have a sharp truncated edge to them and when seated too long can hit rifling and stop the slide short of full battery though it is possible to force the bullet in but doing so can raise pressure when fired. its a problem for guns with tight chambers ie steyr and cz
A repeat of history, That's how it goes
Old October 26, 2012, 01:00 PM   #14
Webleymkv

This is why any combination of gun and ammunition should be thoroughly tested before it's relied upon for self-defense. I, personally, will not trust any semi-automatic handgun/ammunition combination until I've fired at least 50 rounds of said ammunition without a malfunction, and if finances and availability allow 100-200 rounds is even better.
Old October 26, 2012, 11:18 PM   #15
RC20

Quote:
Part of the fun in getting a new gun, is experimenting to find out which ammo works best in it: How it chambers, the amount of recoil, accuracy, etc. You want to feel comfortable and confident in the ammo you select. Below are two pretty good Youtube field test videos of some Speer 115gr 9mm & 124gr 9mm +P, using denim and ballistics gel.
I don't think its part of the fun, I do think its absolute critical (and noting we are talking SD ammunition so its not a range gun).

I am partial to Golden Saber. You get 5 rounds more a box, and while the Sig seems to be non denominational as to what it will shoot, the GS are by far the most accurate (tried a number of hand load combination of powder and bullets and the GS just shoots better).

I won't claim GS is better than anything out there, it seems to be as good or close to as good as the others and I figure at that point the rest is up to me if it comes to it. No maker seems to have any real world advantage (over gel and phone books) in actual shootings. One day one is lauded because it did well, the next day it fails miserably. Fact is pistols rounds of any caliber are marginal and it does not take much to push one off its capability.

As for accurate, while its not something you would know in a gun fight, they are all accurate enough, but there is a confidence factor in knowing a round is going where you aim it to a T.