The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 26, 2008, 11:23 PM   #1
Inspector3711

Is some .223 brass bad?

I picked up about 50 .223 cases at the range today. they are mixed headstamps. Are there headstamps I should stay away from due to poor brass quality? I did see some that appeared to have a Russian symbol on them so I threw them back.
Old April 27, 2008, 12:24 AM   #2
totalloser

"Bad" cases;

1. Steel cases. Magnets sort them out

2. Berdan primed cases. Look down center to see if there are two holes or one. Two is not readily reloadable.

3. Military brass. Some need a "decrimp" identified by a ring recessed around the primer, or stake marks (they look like from a punch).

I personally think nickel plated kinda suck, but I pick them up and reroll them. Military brass is reported to have a smaller case capacity, but I load nearly exclusively military brass in .223 (5.56) and it is pretty close. 7.62 nato is NOT close. 20 to 25% difference in case capacity.
Old April 27, 2008, 03:46 AM   #3
Tim R

L/C brass is good crimp and all. You can swage or cut the crimp out and it only has to be done once. Stay away from Federal.

Same story with 308 brass. If you use GI brass, you might have to reduce 2 grs. on the powder.
Old April 27, 2008, 08:22 AM   #4
Alleykat

Ditto, 110%, on what Tim said. Problem I have with Federal brass is that it's so soft that the primer pockets get loose after one reload. I love LC brass! Just got in 1000 pcs from Scharch. It's already roll-sized, trimmed, and the primer pocket's been swaged.
Old April 27, 2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Inspector3711

Alleycat... You mean you got 1000 pieces from Scorch (you typed "scarch")? I better talk to him if thats the case... Didn't know he was into .223 brass.
Old April 27, 2008, 11:27 AM   #6
rrp

bad 223 brass

Many years ago I got some used range brass with mixed head stamps. There was one headstamp with H1 on them that had a smaller than normal flash hole and would raise he-- with my depriming pins. I threw all this in the scrap bucket. That is the only time I had a problem with surplus brass. I've reloaded and shot thousands of surplus since without any trouble. Good luck and good shooting.
Old April 27, 2008, 12:08 PM   #7
Alleykat

Quote:
Alleycat... You mean you got 1000 pieces from Scorch (you typed "scarch")? I better talk to him if thats the case... Didn't know he was into .223 brass.
I typed "Scharch", the same company I've been buying .223 brass from for years and the same company that supplies Midway with their once-fired brass.
Old April 27, 2008, 01:34 PM   #8
Inspector3711

Okay... Scorch, as you probably know, is another member here. He's been helping me out from time to time and lives about 25 miles south of me. I may have him do some work on the .25-06 next winter. If he had .223 brass I was going to pounce on it! Thanks for the info, I'll look them up! I have mostly LC (I already knew LC was great brass) so for now I'm probably okay.. Do you know if S&B brass is worth reloading? I've got a dozen cases or so with their headstamp.
Old April 27, 2008, 08:15 PM   #9
crowbeaner

I like Lake City brass myself. I'm in the process of reworking 600 30/06 cases I just bought for a nickel apiece. Can't beat the quality at any price. I don't shoot much 223, but I have NO qualms about shooting the 308 stuff either.
Old April 28, 2008, 01:49 AM   #10
Paul B.

I'm trying to remember the headstamp, but it was either TW or WCC in the 1970s that was not very good. I threw it all into the scrap brass bucket.
I've never had a problem with any LC brass though. This is all .223 brass I talking about. I have 30-06 brass marked WCC and TW from WW-2 that is just great.
Paul B.
Old April 28, 2008, 08:16 AM   #11
Falcore

Federal A/E brass should never be use to reload.
For more info check out the AR15 forum.
Old April 28, 2008, 11:55 AM   #12
Alleykat

S&B brass is fine, but I really prefer the LC brass for my .223 reloading. There might be less expensive sources than Scharch's for 100% processed .223 brass. If anybody has any links, I'd appreciate 'em!