The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 20, 2008, 07:50 PM   #1
mattamuskeet

6mm Remington or greased lightning?

In searching for flat shooting hunting loads for the 6mm, I handloaded and then chronographed several yesterday. I bought some 90 grain Swift SciroccoII bullets. I didn't have data specific to that bullet but over 51 grains of 7828, it averaged 3370 fps(2270 fpe)!! It was starting to show some initial signs of excessive pressure at that level so I may shoot for 3250-3300 fps for that bullet. I also have some 55 grain nosler bullets. On the back of the H380 can, it lists a max load of 53 grains of powder for that bullet. With 50 grains the velocity was 3956 fps! I think my 6mm turned into a 240 weatherby or something!

I am trying to branch out from the 100 grain loads I always loaded at 3100 fps to new horizons; does anyone out there load for the 6mm and want to share data?
Old April 21, 2008, 07:28 PM   #2
Shoney

I have a custom built 6mmRem built on an FN action 26" barrel. This is my coyote load.
WARNING!!!!! THIS LOAD EXCEEDS PUBLISHED MAXIMUM LOADS!
Reloader 22 - - 95 Nosler Ballistic Tip - - 5 shot groups - - OAL 2.91
grains - - Velocity fps - group size inches
48.0 - - - - 3239 - - - - 0.452
49.0 - - - - 3323 - - - - 0.257
50.0 - - - - 3410 - - - - 0.439
51.0 - - - - 3464 - - - - 0.368
52.0 - - - - 3513 - - - - 0.143
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 22, 2008, 07:17 AM   #3
Full-choke

I don't have any data yet as I don't have my barrel and my reloading bench isn't up yet. I am getting ready to build some loads for the 75-85 grain range, maybe even some a little heavier or lighter depending on what the barrel can do. I will try and post things when I finally get up and going. The barrel should be in this week or next and I'm hoping to start reloading this weekend. So fingers crossed I should be up and going here in the next two weeks or so.

F-C
Old April 23, 2008, 07:41 PM   #4
mattamuskeet

Thanks for the info>>>I always wanted to try some RL22 or RL19, but I have always used IMR powders.
Old April 24, 2008, 05:04 PM   #5
Ozzieman

52.0 - - - - 3513 - - - - 0.143

WOW!
Never got that kind of group size out of my Ruger 6mm,, and doubt I ever will. Now if you tell me that was any thing more than 100 yards,,,,,,, I’m going cry!

I have pushed some 60’s up past 3200 but just couldn’t get great grouping.
I have one suggestion, if you’re getting that kind of accuracy, you should try some of the Barnes bullets.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/product...rmint-grenade/
Old April 24, 2008, 07:09 PM   #6
mattamuskeet

I got some RL22 today...with the Swift SciroccoII 90 gr and 48 gr of powder, I got 3130 fps. I am going to try 49 grains tomorrow...no pressure signs of any kind with 48 gr. I am not sure what my OAL is, but I set them out as far as I could and still feed through the magazine of my Remington. I may be a little limited with the short action because they are only a little longer than factory ammo...

I want to get 3300 without excessive pressure...

Last edited by mattamuskeet; April 24, 2008 at 07:12 PM. Reason: added last line
Old April 25, 2008, 11:57 AM   #7
Shoney

mattamuskeet
You need to read up on load development.

I load 5 cartridges at starting weight, then increase the charge by 0.5 grains until I am at max. I shoot each same 5 cartridge load at one target, then making sure the barrel is cool I shoot the next 5 cartridges. I record load data, chrono readings, pressure signs, and group sizes on each target.

After analysis of the data, I will tweak the load by 0.2 to 0.3 grains, again in 5 shot groups. Once I arrive at my most accurate load, I adjust the OAL for best accuracy.

If you are going over max, do so with extreme care and using safety precautions. I only go over max in 0.2 grain increments and stop when the case gets sticky (hard to open the bolt, not stuck) upon extraction.

Good Shooting!!!!!!!!!!!!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 25, 2008, 12:06 PM   #8
jimbob86

"If you are going over max, do so with extreme care and using safety precautions. I never go over max in 0.2 grain increments and stop when the case gets sticky (not stuck) upon extraction."

If you are going over max, be VERY careful. A max load might be just this side of safe TODAY, but may blow the case on a day when the powder temp is higher....... when walking on eggs, it is best not to HOP, froggy.
Old April 25, 2008, 12:12 PM   #9
Shoney

To clarify things, I always use a 25X competitons scope for load development on my rifles, then switch to the scope the rifle will wear permanently. Sometimes this is a real hastle, as two sets of mounts are often required. However, the added magnification yields greater accuracy, and is worth it.