The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 6, 1999, 10:34 AM   #1
flatlander

I traded for a Winchester M94 Centennial rifle with a 26" half octagon barrel, primarily because I'd heard that Badger Barrels had supplied the barrels, and thought that this would be a good rifle to use in working with cast bullets. So far I've used RCBS 30-180FN and Lyman 311041 bullets with either H414 or H4895; the Lyman has out-shot the RCBS to this point. Has anyone done any work with one of these rifles in 30-30?
Old July 7, 1999, 12:18 PM   #2
Paul B.

Flatlander. See my answer to your post in the other forum that you posted this question. I have had good results with the Lyman bullet, duplicating factory loads. I haven't tried the RCBS bullet yet. They cast out at 188 gr. in my alloy. Should be able to duplicate .303 Savage spec with that one.
(190 gr. bullet at 1950 fps.) So far my shooting has been done with 20" barreled carbines. Just got a 26" Canadian Centenial. Will have to see how that one works out when I get a peep sight for it. BTW. Try W-748. It works pretty good for me.
Paul B.
Old July 8, 1999, 12:09 AM   #3
flatlander

PaulB. Thanks for the replies. The little bit of work I've done on this was with bullets cast of WW+2% tin. Used LBT lube. Loads were in the 1750fps range, if memory serves. I had all my load data on my old computer, and haven't transfered it at this point. I need to work with some other powders, but all my time has been dedicated to loading and practicing with my AR for across the course High Power matches. Maybe later this fall, when the last match is done, I can find the time to play with this rifle. I really wanted to find a good M94 carbine to work with, but when this Centennial came along, I thought maybe a Badger Barrel would be a natural for cast bullets - several of my friends shoot BPCRS and use Badger barrels - they shoot real well.