The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 3, 2000, 04:12 PM   #1
damage

Im considering getting into reloading but I really don't know where to start does anyone have any suggestions for equipment? and what is the entire process

I plan to reload 9mm ammo

thanks

[This message has been edited by damage (edited October 03, 2000).]
Old October 3, 2000, 06:27 PM   #2
Bud Helms

Any gunshops nearby, where you could get a reloading manual? If not, order one through Midway. That's where you start. Hornady or Lyman are good to start.
Old October 3, 2000, 06:40 PM   #3
solo

If 9mm is all you will load I suggest you look at Dillon Presses, more specifically the 550 or 650. Although I don't have any experience with progressive presses, I know that they can pump out 400-500 rounds per hour. If you are like me and reload for a variety of rifle and pistol calibers and occasionaly shoot, go with a single stage press such as the RCBS Rockchunker.
Old October 3, 2000, 06:42 PM   #4
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

Get yourself a set of manuals. Hornady's second edition and Speer #13 are good. Lymans make a good manual for newbies. You can never have too many manuals.

As for a press, a single stage Rock Chucker is a good press for beginners and experiences loaders. If you want to spend a bit extra, get a Dillon 550B. You won't be disappointed.

Do a search on newbie in this forum and you'll find a wealth of information.

------------------
Son
1911 Addiction
"The tree of liberty will grow only when watered by the blood of tyrants."
Old October 3, 2000, 07:56 PM   #5
trlmech

Damage, If you would like an online overview of the reloading process go to www.rcbs.com and click on reloading guide. They give a step by step guide and glossary. A poster to this board named Clark put up the most extensive list of reloading websites I've seen not to long ago, run a search and find it.
Old October 4, 2000, 01:14 AM   #6
El Rojo

Hey Damage. I just jumped into reloading about a year ago this month. I went sort of the high end route and got a Dillon RL 550B. I recommend the same. The press is a little expensive, but you can cut costs by buying dies from a different company, a tumble and all of the other accessories that dillon charges an arm and a leg for, you can get out of the Midway catalog. That is what I did. I reload .40, .45, .308, .30-06, and .30 carbine on my Dillon and even some 10mm (I don't even own a 10mm, I loaded it up for some profit). In my opinion there is nothing better than Dillon. You will not be disappointed. As many others say on this website, look around for a good deal on a used Dillon, you won't find one because they are not sold used, no one wants to get rid of em.
Old October 4, 2000, 09:37 AM   #7
9x45

your best bet for a beginner is the Dillion Square Deal. It is set from the factory, and auto indexing(550 is a manual indexer), and sells for about $250, including dies.
Old October 4, 2000, 10:19 AM   #8
Mikul

The Dillon Square Deal B is certainly the best deal. The only reason to consider upgrading to the 550B is if you plan to reload rifle cartridges. Many people use single stage presses from a variety of vendors, and the main advantage there is even greater precision. The Dillon progressives are great, but if you're incredibly anal, the single stage might be more your style. Of course, the Dillon progessives can be use like a single stage press.

I just began by reloading 9mm about 3 months ago. Here is a thread that I started just before I bought my setup. http://www.thefiringline.com/NonCGI/...ML/001266.html

BTW, the bench came out fine and weighs more than I do.

The process on my 550B is:
1) Tumble Brass (to clean the gunk out of it. Careful washing with soapy water and vinegar should be enough, but tumbling makes for pretty cartridges and makes them easier to inspect for defects).

THE FOLLOWING ARE DONE WITH THE 550B
2) Deprime/Prime/Size (remove the old primer, put in the new, and shrink the brass diameter back down to normal size. I usually take a quick look at the brass to look for damage before putting it in the press)
3) Add powder/Bell mouth (put powder into the brass, and open the neck of the brass enough to set the bullet in)
4) Seat the bullet (Stuff the bullet in the brass)
5) Crimp (get rid of the bell added two steps ago)

THAT'S IT FOR THE PRESS

6) Inspect each round to be sure that each one has a primer, and run 1 out of every 10 rounds into my case gauge to be sure the size is okay.

7) Make the appropriate notes in my log book.

That's pretty much it aside from setting up the dies and calibrating the powder measure, but that doesn't necessarily have to be done every session.