The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 16, 2002, 04:50 PM   #1
Fatelvis

AA2520 in M1A?

Does anyone here use AA2520 for thier M1A or 30-06 Garand? If so, did you find it more accurate than IMR4895, IMR4064, etc.? How `bout a couple Pet Loads? Thanx guys-
Old October 16, 2002, 05:18 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

AA2520 is, like all ball powders, quite temperature sensitive. I use it in my .308 quite a bit. It's main virture is price from what i can tell. Since I bought my last # a few years ago, I have switched to milsurplus powders that burn in the same range, and are cheaper (WC846).
Old October 16, 2002, 05:28 PM   #3
Fatelvis

Thanks Poodle, (cool name, by the way!) Is WC846 ball powder? I didnt know that ball powder is temp sensitive. What is the most stable powder that you know of?
Old October 17, 2002, 02:19 PM   #4
Poodleshooter

Yup. 846 is non-cannister grade Hodgdon Ball(C)2. It gives me some nutty pressure variations from winter to summer. I load mostly in the summer to avoid pressure issues. All ball powders are temperature sensitive (something to do with nitroglycerine content, and probably surface area,IIRC). In general, tubular (stick) grained powders are the least temperature sensitive, with the newer hodgdon powders such as Benchmark and Varget being the least sensitive of all powders for reloaders.