The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 25, 2008, 03:39 PM   #1
Skans

Looking for info on "MAC d’Armes"....

My first pistol was a chrome 38 special snubnose 5 shot revolver. It appeared to be a copy of a S&W. I believe that it was made in Brazil, and it was a good quality revolver for a cheaper gun. Doing this from memory, the manufacture's name (the best I could tell) was "MAC d'Armes Brazil"

I sold the gun long ago (late 1980's). As best that I could tell, it must have been manufactured in the 1970's.

I hated to sell the little revolver and thought that If I could find the same one in good condition, I'd buy it. But, I can't find any gun fitting that description. I've searched for years, but nothing.

If anyone has any information on this company, please let me know. Thanks.
Old November 25, 2008, 06:43 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have no info on that company, but several small Brazilian arms makers have been take over by Taurus, and they do make a 5-shot snub in .38 Special. You might check their catalog for a similar model. Their quality is good (not as good as S&W, but less expensive) but I don't think they make anything nickel or chrome plated any more. Like other makers, they have long gone to stainless steel for rust prevention.

Jim
Old November 25, 2008, 08:59 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

If it was a snub, it would have to have been imported before 1968.
Old December 9, 2008, 07:04 PM   #4
Skans

Quote:
If it was a snub, it would have to have been imported before 1968.
I never heard of that before. I suppose it could have been that old. I bought it around 1979. It wasn't new, could have easily been a little over 10 years old. Nice looking little pistol. Looks just like a rossi snub nose .38, but nickel plated.
Old December 9, 2008, 09:01 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

2" barreled revolvers were not importable under GCA '68.
Old December 9, 2008, 09:43 PM   #6
SDC

Those markings don't ring any bells for me, but the "manufacture d'armes...." part sounds typically French; are you sure it was made in Brazil?
Old December 11, 2008, 03:36 PM   #7
Skans

Quote:
Those markings don't ring any bells for me, but the "manufacture d'armes...." part sounds typically French; are you sure it was made in Brazil?
Man, it's been a long time since I've had that little pistol! I'm trying to recall - but, yes, I believe it said something like: MAC De Arms De Brazil" I'm assuming that if it was French, it would have said Made in France - definitely nothing about it being made in France on it.

When I had the gun, I really just thought of it as a good quality knock off of a S&W .38 snubnose. It was a pretty gun - nickle plated and nicely finished. Small grips made it hard to shoot. Now, I sort of want it back again....but I can't find any information whatsoever on the manufacturer. With out that, I don't even know what to search for!!