The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 30, 2006, 09:15 PM   #1
pvtmcd

shooting in the rain

Do you ever go shooting in the rain?
Old August 30, 2006, 09:27 PM   #2
springmom

No, because the range where we go uses paper targets. In much of a rain, they wouldn't last long enough for me to blow them to bits

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old August 30, 2006, 09:49 PM   #3
Maser

Never have and never will.
Old August 30, 2006, 10:04 PM   #4
silicon wolverine

I havent ever gone target shooting but when i was younger i often hunted jack rabbits and cotton tails in teh rain because they would hide out in tree rows around the farm and were easy to spot. I used my rem 870 marine magnum. I never have used a regular firarm in the rain cause i always figured the raindrops would throw my shot off anyway.

SW
Old August 30, 2006, 10:10 PM   #5
Lurper

I have shot hundreds of matches in the rain. When you schedule a big match, you can't cancel just because of the weather. Why do you ask?
Old August 30, 2006, 10:19 PM   #6
threefivesevenmag

Yes

I shoot matches in the rain as well. It really helps you learn about your shooting abilities. It's much more difficult to stay focused and on target. Shooting steel and cardboard targets...the rain doesn't mess with them at all. Also, it can help show how well your magazines work even dirty (after being dropped in the mud and possibly only whiped with a shirt).
Old August 30, 2006, 10:21 PM   #7
tony pasley

I shoot rain,sleet,snow,sunshine,cold hot. I practice no matter what the weather because I never know when it would be needed. Years ago I carried often in the rain.
Old August 30, 2006, 10:38 PM   #8
pvtmcd

Quote:
Why do you ask?
Because I think that some people avoid shooting in the rain.
I do not know if I will ever need to shoot in bad weather.
I think I might prefer to shoot in the rain.
Maybe I just like to be out in the rain.
Old August 30, 2006, 11:39 PM   #9
mete

I shot a handgun metallic silhouette match where it rained so hard that at one point you couldn't see the 200 yd target !!!
Old August 31, 2006, 06:47 AM   #10
ddskehan

I shoot in any weather condition except subzero and 95+ degrees.
Old August 31, 2006, 07:13 AM   #11
stevelyn

Out here in Aleutian Hell if you don't shoot in the rain you won't be doing much shooting.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old August 31, 2006, 07:26 AM   #12
fairview mick

Shooting in the rain

When I was shooing trap, at the Grand American in Vandalia, Ohio, I remember it rained three years in a row. I shot about five or six hundred targets each of those years in the rain. As a previous poster said "They don't cancel a big match because of the weather". The only thing that really bothered me was my Hi- Dollar early Brownings would lose their blueing when handled in the rain.
Mickey
Old August 31, 2006, 08:05 AM   #13
Jack Malloy

Even though I am one of those people who obsesses over rust, yes, I have shot in the rain....
I have shot my blue Browning High Power in the rain before (I just took it apart and cleaned and oiled it immediatly) and when I first bought a Stainless Steel wheelgun, I used that as an excuse to shoot in the rain!
Old August 31, 2006, 08:29 AM   #14
Trip20

No. I can wait a day or two until it clears up.
Old August 31, 2006, 08:39 AM   #15
AK103K

I guess it depends on what you want to do. I shoot in all weather conditions, then again, I work outside all year round too, so its really not anything different.

One thing you do need to consider with shooting though, there are many variables due to weather conditions. If you only shoot in fair, nice weather, you will never know how your gun/ammo will react in different weather or climate. Heat and cold will affect ammo and different light affects your sights.

When shooting in the rain, it usually takes the first round to clear the water out of them though
Old August 31, 2006, 10:02 AM   #16
ISP2605

I shot a 3 day rifle match where it poured for the entire 3 days. Straight down, hard, cold rain. Everything was flooded. The pits were just about knee deep in water. Miserable time, but now it's one of the matches I remember the most and we still talk about it. Before every shot we would blow the water out of the peep sights and hope the peep didn't fill with water again while you were trying to squeeze off the shot.
Old August 31, 2006, 10:22 AM   #17
gb_in_ga

I have shot quite a bit in the rain, in the past. Being former military -- well, let's just say that we were training for war, and wars go on no matter the weather, so we trained in whatever the weather was at the time. And I've hunted in weather that was truly atrocious.

But for now, I'm limited to shooting indoors. And that means that I go shooting whether it is raining or not -- it doesn't matter!
Old August 31, 2006, 12:18 PM   #18
oldbillthundercheif

Sure!

The best time to hit the range is during inclement weather. Nobody else ever does, so I have the range to myself for maximum usage. You can't do the "fight to cover" drill with other shooters stationary on a hot line and that's one of my favorites...

Pick up some nice foul-weather gear and keep the walnut and blue at home.
Old August 31, 2006, 12:23 PM   #19
Eghad

Was at a CAS match and it started raining, we kept shooting.

NRA Life Member
Old August 31, 2006, 12:47 PM   #20
TexanAmerican

Quote: Tony Pasley
Quote:
I shoot rain,sleet,snow,sunshine,cold hot. I practice no matter what the weather because I never know when it would be needed. Years ago I carried often in the rain.
I totally agree with Tony Pasley. It depends on why you have a firearm. I shoot in rain, sleet, 103 deg days, at night, during dust storms, with strong hand and weak hand. Anything that challenges your body will challenge your abillity to shoot. I grew up in West Texas target shooting my .22 at just about everything in the cotton patch. Every thing from dirt clods to rattle snakes to jack rabbits (there were actually an epidemic number ruining cotton in those days-damn near extinct today). Though I still love to "target shoot" I mainly carry a pistol to willfully, knowingly and intentionally shoot anyone or anything that poses serious bodily injury or death for me. Just as with the return of Jesus Christ we don't know the hour or the day that some mother, mugger or thief may assault us; much less what the weather conditions will be. It behooves anyone who claims to have a firearm for "protection" to be confident and competent with it regardless the circumstances. If all you wish to do is target shoot I personally prefer an in door range with air conditioning and heating.
Old August 31, 2006, 01:04 PM   #21
CrustyFN

Yes, I go to the indoor range when it rains.
Rusty
Old August 31, 2006, 03:02 PM   #22

We shoot rain, shine, wind, hail, snow, heat, cold, whatever the only thing that slows shooting down is lightning. Lightning has the right of way, everything else is a minor inconvenience.
Old August 31, 2006, 04:01 PM   #23
HCfan

Sure. Do it all the time. In some places, if you don't shoot in the rain, you don't get to shoot.

Also, when it rains most of the wimps go to the indoor ranges and there is no room to shoot or you are limited in time.

All you have to do is ensure that you clean your firearms afterward really well. It doesn't hurt them or you to be out in a little bit of water.

Used to shoot in the cowboy shoots (forgot the name, it's been ages) and we would shoot no matter the weather. Now that was fun .
Old August 31, 2006, 08:06 PM   #24
kymasabe

I've intentionally gone and shot in the rain because I wanted to know the effects of shooting in the rain. Easy answer...you get wet.
Accuracy is still good enough to hunt with. I'm curious though...do snipers wait until it stops raining or do they shoot? Anyone ex-military who can ACCURATELY answer that?
Old August 31, 2006, 08:29 PM   #25
ISP2605

Quote:
do snipers wait until it stops raining or do they shoot? Anyone ex-military who can ACCURATELY answer that?
The war doesn't stop just because it's raining.
Use to call hard all day rain "Infantry weather". The rain covers sound while moving. And besides, if you ain't miserable you ain't fighting.