The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 29, 2006, 01:08 PM   #1
Wildalaska

Training While Sick

Sitting here with snot dribbling out my nose, hacking cough, 102 degree plus fever, feeling like a dead duck, of course with my sawed off under the desk makes me think of the fact that during my entire life, I have NEVER seriously shot while sick..

Now since we prepare for all eventualities, should I stagger to the range and pop a few off. Is it inmportant to train while you are under the weather.

Anyone else do this?

WildofcoursethereisthesafetyissueAlaska
Old August 29, 2006, 01:24 PM   #2
DeathRodent

IMHO stay home and get well, don't go and spread it ta the range

If something occurs this is when your mental training kicks in
Old August 29, 2006, 01:25 PM   #3
calvinike

Wild,
Unless you can get a guarantee from the bad guys or the game shot of a lifetime, that they will not appear when you are ill, I would say yes. Get well soon.
Old August 29, 2006, 01:46 PM   #4
Samurai

dry fire at home. Don't go out spreading your germs around.

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old August 29, 2006, 01:51 PM   #5
springmom

stay home

I'm with the others. Practice dry firing. Play house ninja. Clear the rooms of your house over and over. Just keep your germs to yourself. AND TAKE IT EASY. Chicken soup is a good thing. Otherwise, you'll be laying in the hospital trying to figure out how to be tactical in a hospital gown (talk about open carry....!)

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old August 29, 2006, 01:55 PM   #6
threegun

I have shot sick, a PPC match. I shot my average just as I do every time. You will shoot the same sick as you do well unless running and gunning is required. Fever tends to make the desire to move disappear, makes me feel weak. I still performed the same on the PPC course given its lack of running and such. I would stay home and get wildsnifflingsneezingcoughingachingstuffyheadfeveralaska better before hitting the range again.
Old August 29, 2006, 02:17 PM   #7
meanoldman

You sure get sick alot. Maybe you're not drinking enough alcohol to kill the germs.

Get well soon. Don't worry about shooting when sick. The adreneline will overcome the fever and you can sling the snot on the bodies.

David
Old August 29, 2006, 02:18 PM   #8
VirgilCaine

Dry fire at the TV, and eat plenty of polish penicillin (chicken soup).

Practice tactical or combat reloading. Take a nap and dream about it.

Does vomit clean off of pistols the same as cosmoline?

VirgilyougotsomekindofcrazyalaskanfluorwhatCaine
Old August 29, 2006, 02:42 PM   #9
spacemanspiff

Quote:
Maybe you're not drinking enough alcohol to kill the germs.
The alcohol can only kill the germs from kissing so many random barbabes.

i keeeed, i keeeeeeed!!!!
Old August 29, 2006, 02:55 PM   #10
OuTcAsT

They may be on to something WA, you may have too much blood in your alcohol stream

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old August 29, 2006, 03:03 PM   #11
Blackwater OPS

Quote:
The adreneline will overcome the fever
Said before I could, It's the best drug on the planet, cures everything from head colds to a missing kidney. (for a minute or two anyways)
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old August 29, 2006, 03:48 PM   #12
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

The old adage,” Practice makes perfect.” is not quite right. It should be, “Perfect practice makes perfect.” IMO having being sick (especially with a fever) may only help you train in a poor fashion. As others have said, good, repetitive training will kick in during stress.

Denny
Old August 29, 2006, 04:31 PM   #13
Trip20

What better to cheer you up than shooting guns?

Don't train, just go shoot and have fun. Or, go home and guilt SWMBO into caring for your every whim (if that's possible!).

All kidding aside, I can't imagine having ear plugs stuffed into my plugged up ears, and dealing with muffled bangs while having a flu headache/fever-type thing going on. Yuk - no thanks.

I'd rather go home, lay on the couch, and huff Hoppes #9 while watching old westerns.
Old August 29, 2006, 05:11 PM   #14
skeeter1

Get yourself one of these:

http://www.do-alltraps.com/shootinggallery.php

You can set it up in your garage, basement, backyard, wherever, and practice with your .22. No one will be around to notice your runny nose, and you won't be sharing your viruses with the others at the range.
Old August 29, 2006, 10:21 PM   #15
JohnKSa
Staff

Dunno...

If you think it might impair your concentration, maybe it's not such a good idea to mess with guns.
Old August 30, 2006, 09:30 AM   #16
threegun

Quote:
You can set it up in your garage, basement, backyard, wherever, and practice with your .22. No one will be around to notice your runny nose, and you won't be sharing your viruses with the others at the range.
Careful for the lead fumes shooting indoors.
Old August 30, 2006, 09:37 AM   #17
Glenn E. Meyer

Not really being sick but injured. A few years ago, I broke my wrist, ribs and badly sprained my ankle. It turns out that I was scheduled to take an Advanced Tactical course from Karl Rehn at KRtraining. By the time the course came around, I had my arm in a cast that just covered my forearm. The course focused on injured shooter drills by happy circumstance. Since my dominant arm was out of action, I took the course with my nondominant hand and it was a quite useful learning experience.

It certainly convinced me NOT to carry unchambered.

As far a being ill - if I thought that I was a risk to others and the practice would be degraded, I would pass. I did pass on an AR course as I was flu'ed out. Bummer - no need to engage in tactical puking. Some folks at work with the same bug ended in the hospital. I was bummed as I had all the gear packed.
Old August 30, 2006, 10:33 AM   #18
Lurper

Wild,
J. Michael Plaxco told me decades ago that a good shooter wil go out and shoot even if he doesn't feel like it or feel well. I'm guessing that you are not a competitive shooter, but it still applies. In Oct. 1985, I was involved in an auto accident. I busted my femur (had a steel rod since then) and fractured my acetabulum (sp?). Some of the doctors said I may not walk again, blah, blah, blah. Two weeks after being relased from a 5 week hospital stay, I was shooting my first match - on crutches. A week later, my next one - with a cane. That year I went on to win the state championship and on.

Shooting while you are sick/injured is good therapy. It forces you to concentrate on what your are doing, not your affliction. When you are done, you will be tired and that will also help you get the necessary rest to speed your recovery. Just try not to spread your germs around if you have something that is contagious.
Old August 30, 2006, 10:38 AM   #19
springmom

I'd disagree with Lurper on this one. There's a difference between "playing through pain", which is what Lurper did, and doing something that can both impede recovery (activity when sick) and spread your illness to others. Living with a chronic illness, I have to make this determination more often than I'd like...if my arthritis is just hurting, well, it's going to hurt regardless of what I do. However, if I'm flaring (sick) with it, which is systemic, the better choice is to take it easy and by doing so hurry my recovery.

Springmom

home on the web:

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old September 1, 2006, 07:33 AM   #20
odessastraight

AAHCACHOOOOOO! .Sneeze or .32?

Well, make sure you've got your lightweight .32 with you...easier to hold up in your degraded, sick condition. Also, you might consider shooting in the rain, because the target and cardboard backing would be good and wet and make it easier for the little .32 bullets to at least make a dimple (probably still wouldn't punch a hole).

OK, get well soon, too.
Old September 1, 2006, 08:59 AM   #21
springmom

checkup!

So, Wild, are you feeling better? Did you shoot with your flu or stay home with your chicken soup? Inquiring minds want to know....

Springmom

home on the web:

Old September 1, 2006, 03:51 PM   #22
skeeter1

Quote:
Careful for the lead fumes shooting indoors.
My fault. I should have mentioned that my garage has an exhaust fan in it. The previous owner's sons were into rebuilding and repainting cars, hence the fan. For me, at least, I don't think lead dust will be a problem.
Old September 1, 2006, 04:14 PM   #23
bclark1

i'd count on adrenaline to make my flu leave me be for a couple hours if i ever got in a bad situation. rest up and feel better!
Old September 1, 2006, 07:58 PM   #24
Dr_2_B

Well, Alaska, I"m a believer in O'Brien's Law. Ever heard of O'Brien's law? O'Brien says Murphy was an optimist. I say bundle up in clothes that impede your movement, go out to shoot at dusk, run at a full sprint for 100 yards, then fall down and do a roll about a dozen times on the ground picking up some mud in your eyes and get soaked enough for a good chill. Then shoot the target until it begs for mercy. Hopefully you'll have to perform a stoppage drill in the process.

There's a reason the Navy Seals train in hypothermia conditions in sand and mud and crap. When the poop hits the fan, it has an amazing way of happening at the most inopportune times.

Then get back to us. I'll be reading your play-by-play from the comfort of my easy-chair with a cup of hot coffee to warm me as I peruse your recounting of the event.
Old September 1, 2006, 08:22 PM   #25
Wildalaska

Dude I can barely blow my nose

WildgettingweakerAlaska