The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 3, 2007, 07:27 PM   #1
awpk03s

Surefire Executive Defender & Airplanes

Anyone ever transport one of these on an airplane - in checked luggage?

Am traveling internationally, and would like to take this with me, but not have TSA or other authorities steal it from my baggage...

??
Old March 3, 2007, 08:38 PM   #2
ab8mi

I have carried several differnt small flashlights on aircraft lately without any questions, usually my small maglight and another similar size LED light and both usually in my carry on.

Wayne
Old March 3, 2007, 08:43 PM   #3
HappyGunner

Sharp edges

If they see the sharp edges it's gonna send up a red flag IMHO.
Old March 3, 2007, 08:46 PM   #4
awpk03s

I just checked the TSA website, and according to that, I can carry a sword, nunchucks, ninja stars, knives, brass knuckles, etc. as long as they're in my checked bag. I think perhaps I was paranoid for nothing - a flashlight, sharp edges or no, in my checked luggage, shouldn't be a problem...
Old March 3, 2007, 08:52 PM   #5
HappyGunner

I agree

As long as you don't try hauling it past the inspection point and thet see it.
Old March 4, 2007, 01:35 AM   #6
Andrew LB

Chances are the luggage bandits at the airport will pocket that nice little piece of hardware. I organize my check in bags in a way that i'll know if they've been gone through by someone and in the 20 or so flights i've had since 9/11, my check in bag has been opened and looked through. Bastards even took my two Cohiba Cuban cigars I was bringing back with me from Cancun!
Old March 4, 2007, 03:47 AM   #7
BillCA

I've not had a problem passing my surefire flashlight through the x-ray scanner in carry-on luggage. I just put it in the "ticket holder" pocket of the carry-on in case they wanted to look at it. Nuttin' said about it.

I did learn that before flying next time, I'm buying a pair of loafers and a velcro belt!

Andrew - did they pick it open or just pry it open?

I will say this for TSA, however. In St. Louis they had to screen an elderly gentleman who was probably in his late 80's-early 90's. He was brought up in a wheelchair wearing a ballcap that read U.S.S. North Carolina BB-55 by (I'm guessing) his grand-daughter in her 40's. They treated him with the utmost respect and dignity while doing their job and he seemed amused by it all.
Old March 4, 2007, 04:48 AM   #8
Andrew LB

^^^ They cut off the zip ties i had on the zippers and went through the bags. Even when i didn't zip tie them together they'd go through them anyways.
Old March 5, 2007, 09:19 AM   #9
xrmattaz

I've carried my Surefire Executive Defender in my carry on bag on several flights, even to Jamaica....never even questioned.
Old March 5, 2007, 10:36 AM   #10
TACHop&Pop

I've taken everything from combat folders to collapsible batons(ASP)in my checked luggage. I used to fly all the time and was gone 9 months of the year living in hotels when I worked for a Government Contractor. I had no problems with people stealing stuff or TSA refusing anything in my checked luggage. Though everytime I had the ASP in my luggage it was searched.
Old March 5, 2007, 03:16 PM   #11
punkkin

I've taken my e2e on the last 3 flights and never had a problem...it doesn't have the sharp edges though.
Old March 5, 2007, 04:50 PM   #12
stephen426

I've taken my Lumamax L2 and a Mini Mag light on board... no questions asked. The L2 does have a scalloped front but not quite like your E2D. I think the "crenallated" edges are a marketing gimmick. The back end of a Mini Maglight will do the same amount of impact damage if not more. The little edges will only aid in creating superficial wounds (make the bad guy bleed). If you are worried about getting it taken away, go with one of Surefire's non-crenallated lights. I would also recommend you look into their dual output LED lights since the power output is very high and the battery lasts a decent amount of time. The L2 is a little long, but I am very happy with it.
Old March 19, 2007, 01:00 AM   #13
tiburondriver47

As already stated it'll be fine. Small flashlights are not a problem, many crew members are required to carry flashlights with them. Anything over a 3 cell though and youd be pushing your luck
Old March 19, 2007, 01:03 AM   #14
AZGunLover

I had a Surefire E2D and a large folding knife in my checked luggage when I went to Bora Bora for my honeymoon and had no trouble at all even though it was an international flight.