The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 8, 2010, 02:30 PM   #1
jheitertusa

870 forend problem

I bought a Remington brand Mossy Oak stock and forend for my 870 Express Magnum (12 gauge, 2.75" or 3" shells). The gun is about 6 years old. I am having problems getting the forend nut off the front, and am about to just buy the tool made for this purpose. The bigger problem is that on the bottom of the tube assembly, the slot that aligns it with the forend is very narrow, and the groove on the old forend is as well. The replacement has a very wide groove that doesn't look like it will fit the forend assembly, even if I can get the old one seperated.

The new forend and stock are Remington factory, and marked as being for the Remington 870 12 gauge. Am I missing something?

Last edited by jheitertusa; October 8, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old October 10, 2010, 06:35 PM   #2
doctori

expirence

I just replaced my mossy oak with a black fore end and stock. The replacement was remington brand. I use some bent nosed pliers and got the nut off. I refused to pay $50 for a tool that I will only use once unless it is a last resort. It was a little difficult at first to get the nut loose but it came off rather easier. You could try some liquid wrench but I did not have to use it. The only problem that I did have was trying to get the stock bolt aligned with the screw hole on the receiver but that was easy also. I am not mechanically inclined but this was easier than I thought.

Good luck you will be able to get it off
Old October 10, 2010, 08:43 PM   #3
publius

To get the nut off I cut a nail that would drop in making contact with both recesses. Grap the middle of the pin you made out of the nail with pliers and turn the nut.
Old October 11, 2010, 02:53 AM   #4
nimbleVagrant

I just made the tool with a piece of 1/8" steel and a 3/8 craftsman socket. I slotted the socket and mig welded in the steel then ground it down to fit the nut. Most problems can be solved with some scrap steel and welder.
Old October 11, 2010, 10:54 AM   #5
EdInk

Just take it to your local shop and see if they'll let you use their tool for a minute.