The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 7, 2014, 02:31 PM   #1
exnodak

GI 30-06 Brass

I have a fairly large quantity (est. 500-600 cases) of once- fired US GI 30-06 brass. I can't use it all, so I would like to sell it.
It is quite a bit of work to prep GI brass, but I enjoy doing it, and I have the time. Methinks it would be worth more $ if it was fully prepped - sized, decapped. primer pockets reamed and trued, trimmed and chamfered, washed, and tumbled to a good shine.
I think brass like this might appeal to Garand shooters who just want to load and shoot.
I am interested in your thoughts and opinions on me undertaking this project.
Responses please?
Old May 7, 2014, 03:18 PM   #2
Clark

At the March 22 gunshow I bought 30-06 brass [$40 for 8.5 pounds] and it turned out to have swaged primer pockets. I had somehow lost my large primer pocket tools for the Dillion. Those two parts for the Super Swage cost me $46. What a hassle processing that brass!

And when I neck it down to 270, 6.5-06, and 25-06 it has run out.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old May 7, 2014, 03:40 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

You can look up the prices on line for prepped brass to get an idea of the value. Usually around twice what once-fired regular brass is. I found some for .308 that was fetching $0.34 per case.

If you intend to try to sell the brass on this forum, please read the sticky at the top about what you have to do before you qualify to put things for sale here.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 7, 2014, 06:26 PM   #4
rg1

I don't buy prepped brass period. I want to do the sizing myself plus I can't tell if it is truly once fired unless it's untouched. Some people do want prepped brass though. I don't think it'd be worth your time for whatever increase in price you'd get?
Old May 7, 2014, 07:40 PM   #5
jepp2

Quote:
It is quite a bit of work to prep GI brass, but I enjoy doing it, and I have the time. Methinks it would be worth more $ if it was fully prepped - sized, decapped. primer pockets reamed and trued, trimmed and chamfered, washed, and tumbled to a good shine.
I wouldn't pay the extra for your effort. I want to size my brass to my desired cartridge headspace and I want my primer pockets swaged not reamed. But I am sure others will pay more for your extra effort. Your call.
Old May 7, 2014, 08:53 PM   #6
firewrench044

I will take it
message sent
Old May 7, 2014, 10:52 PM   #7
chiefr

I too would rather prep brass myself. An acquaintance picked up some prepped 5.56 brass at a gun show and a large number of the primer pockets had so much crimp removed that the primers were loose when seated and some backed out in his action at the range.
Old May 7, 2014, 11:41 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

I would rather prep the brass myself.

Unless I'm dealing with a well-established retailer with easy means for correcting a problem with my purchase, I don't want to take the chance of having the brass show up with screwed up mouths, over-swaged or over-reamed primer pockets, or any of the other potential problems.

I prefer military brass in its raw, unadulterated form.