The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 7, 2012, 08:18 PM   #26
shortwave

Yes, you're right Nnobby45,

Just a shame. Can remember when I was a kid, being taught in school to be proud our nations capital, look up to our lawmakers in Washington. Watching things come out of Washington(speech's,parades,etc) as a kid I was always proud and always wanted to go there.

Today, knowing how corrupt things are, it's really hard/almost impossible to try and instill the same values in my kids/grandkids.
Old March 7, 2012, 08:26 PM   #27
Derekc294

It's great that the people who dictate the laws have law enforcement details and are allowed CCW permits but Joe Citizen has to be a fish in a barrel.
Old March 7, 2012, 11:37 PM   #28
Nnobby45

Quote:
It's great that the people who dictate the laws have law enforcement details and are allowed CCW permits but Joe Citizen has to be a fish in a barrel.
Just to be sure we make the right distinction.

We're talking about the deputy mayor of the city and the rest of the local D.C. Government.

Yes, they, along with the city council, dictate local laws.

Not to be confused with the Federal elected lawmakers who reside in Washington D.C. and whose laws affect us at the National level. The Federal eletists are a different (more dangerous) animal.
Old March 7, 2012, 11:56 PM   #29
lawnboy

It has been my experience that even in conservative state the seat of government (the capitol) is usually the least conservative place in the state.

Golding said that "man produces evil like a bee produces honey". I'd like to add that government produces liberalism like a bee produces honey.

With regard to gun rights, you never have to ask who supports them. The liberals who do are the exception. The conservatives who don't are too.

This is all to be expected from politicians in THE seat of government.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old March 8, 2012, 09:40 AM   #30
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L. Griffiths
Quote:
“It is much better, in my opinion, to be scared, to be frightened, and even if you have to be, to be injured, but to walk away and survive. You’ll heal, and you can replace whatever was taken away.”
Or, in other words, "If rape is inevitable, lay back and enjoy it!" . . . .
This is a very apt comparison.
Old March 9, 2012, 06:55 PM   #31
Nnobby45

Quote:
“It is much better, in my opinion, to be scared, to be frightened, and even if you have to be, to be injured, but to walk away and survive. You’ll heal, and you can replace whatever was taken away.”
Right, we all know how easy it is to replace a friend, loved one, or our own life.

As for being scared and frightened, I agree. Who wouldn't be scared when you don't have the means to fight back, and you hear the words "get down on the floor and I won't hurt you." ?

Sure are a lot of us 2nd Amend. radicals whose definition of having something to say about whether we live or die isn't begging for our lives at gun point.