The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 1, 2012, 12:06 PM   #26
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Long story short, the store clerk gets probation with no jail time.
I have a very hard time considering that a "good shoot," regardless of what the law might allow.
Old March 1, 2012, 01:17 PM   #27
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Ok, here's a "good shooting" for you.
I realize you used quotes and that the purpose was to challenge the notion that Travis County is more liberal in its prosecutions than other counties; but convicted of murder and sentenced to 8 years probation is a long way from a good outcome. It was a lot better than he might have ended up with to be sure; but I bet he wishes he'd let the guy with the beer go about now.
Old March 2, 2012, 05:55 PM   #28
TexasFats

One thing to remember about Travis County in particular is that, regardless of the facts of the case, you are likely to be charged if the DA can find a technicality. Much less so in WilCo.

The joke is that, shoot somebody in self-defense in Travis County and you will go to jail. Shoot somebody in self-defense in Williamson County and the responding LEO's will critique your pattern of hits on the bad guy to determine if you need more practice time on the range.

In the Yazdi case, I'm betting that the facts don't completely fit the state law as far as being justifiable. Therefore, he was indicted.

In Travis County, even cops get hung out to dry. If they aren't indicted, then they still get crucified in the paper and their careers ruined. Plus, if they shoot a minority person, then the charges of racism will fly fast and furious. That is just fact. I've lived in Travis Co. since 1996 and have seen it repeatedly.

Sauron lives, and his orc minions are on the march.
Old March 2, 2012, 09:00 PM   #29
MLeake

You think the facts might not completely fit the requirements for SD?

I don't think they remotely fit the requirements.

When the guy was hiding under the car, they didn't fit.

When the guy ran away, they really didn't fit.

Yazdi was not defending himself from a threat, initially. He was not defending against property loss, ultimately. He had not witnessed a crime, just strange activity.

To justify shooting over strange activity, he'd need to prove he reasonably felt threatened by it.

The guy belongs in prison.

The county is irrelevant.