The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 12, 2000, 06:36 PM   #1
Vampire Gerbil

Hiya!
I'm in Nevada. I went to The Gun Store in Las Vegas and one of the things I asked about was how to go about purchasing a full auto. In a nutshell, they told me to give them the money and they'd take it from there.
I was informed that SMGs start at $5,000 (with all the paperwork) and I have a real problem handing that kinda money over to a store, then waiting 4-6 months until the paperwork is completed.
Is this something I just have to deal with?
Can I find SMGs from other, legal sources?
Would I be able to apply first, then shop for the weapon?
Thanks in advance!
VG
Old June 12, 2000, 08:52 PM   #2
M16

You have to buy the gun first and then proceed with the transfer. Most shops ask for a certain amount of money up front before they look due to the fact that a lot of people want to buy one but back out or don't have the money. If you are serious check out www.subguns.com and go the the NFA Add Board. You can also check some of the online gun brokers. You can find machine guns from anywhere around $1000 to $100,000 range. If you know what king of machine gun you are looking for and what price you have in mind to pay for one post back and I will see if I can steer you in the right direction.
Old June 12, 2000, 10:45 PM   #3
Mulio Rex

also http://www.urban-armory.com

They usually have an EXTENSIVE selection.

------------------
Big Guns again
No speakee well
But plain.
--H.C
Old June 13, 2000, 12:28 AM   #4
Vampire Gerbil

Thanks for the tips guys.
I can understand a store asking for a deposit, but laying down a minimum of 5 grand seems a bit excessive considering the wait involved. Then again, if they offered interest... heh heh....
I was hoping to buy something for about 5,000. The Gun Store informs me that I can get a brand new UZI for that price and I'd probably be happy with that, but if I can get more bang for my buck (pardon the pun, I couldn't help it) I'd obviously be willing to get something better.
The H&K MP5 is, I am told, in escess of 10 grand. I'd have to sell my Harley for that and I can't see myself being happy doing that. I'll check those links you posted and get a better idea of what's available.
Thanks again,
VG
Old June 13, 2000, 01:18 AM   #5
EW

VG,
Give Machine Gun Kelly's Gun Vault a call, from someone on another board, he seems highly recommend them. http://www.machinegunkellys.com/
Best luck!!
Old June 13, 2000, 11:43 AM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you buy from out of state, you generally have to go through a dealer in your state. (There are exceptions if the gun is a C&R.) If you find a seller in your state, and state law allows, you can bypass the dealer. Of course, you still need to do the paperwork (Form 4) and pay the tax.

I see no reason for any dealer to demand full payment, especially without even determining if what you want is available.

Jim
Old June 13, 2000, 03:40 PM   #7
tankertom

5K is high for an Uzi, at that you are getting into M16 country.

Machine Gun Kelly's has a good rep. You might want to check at a gun show for the January (I think) issue of Small Arms Review. It had a guide to class 3 dealers in Las Vegas.

Generally you can find guns on boards such as www.subguns.com or www.sturmgewehr.com and then have the gun transferred to a local dealer who then transfers it to you.

TT