The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: If you cast your own bullets, how old are you?
18 - 30 years old 1 1.75%
31- 40 years old 6 10.53%
41-50 years old 5 8.77%
50+ years old 45 78.95%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 10, 2015, 08:06 AM   #1
stubbicatt

Age of folks who cast their own bullets

I had wondered about the demographic of people who "pour their own" cast slugs? As with other hobbies in which I have an interest, I often wonder if the folks who cast their own bullets represent an older demographic.

The future of any such activity depends on attracting younger people.
Old August 10, 2015, 08:32 AM   #2
condor bravo

I voted, having been doing that for more than 40 years.
Old August 10, 2015, 08:45 AM   #3
jmorris

Not sure how accurate you poll will be. When I was 18 I didn't post in reloading forums, not that the Internet existed back then but I was doing other things with my time.

I fit in an older group now but did cast when I was younger.
Old August 10, 2015, 09:24 AM   #4
dahermit

I think you will find that it is biased toward older people. I stated in the sixties when I was in my twenties (now am 72). But, consider that back then lead was way more plentiful and available than it is today so I was motivated by the economic factor. People in those days would give me lead after hearing I was a bullet caster. There were high-quality printing alloys available then also which became even more available as photo based printing took over the printing industry from lead type based printing. In short, the hey-day of casting is over and I am sure that younger hand loaders will not be attracted to it like we were because of the lead supply rapidly disappearing.
Old August 10, 2015, 09:54 AM   #5
Gunplummer

I don't know about that. Extinct cartridges are always being brought back to popularity, (Gran' Dads guns) but the jacketed bullets rarely come back with them.
Old August 10, 2015, 09:57 AM   #6
condor bravo

Yes per the above, the availability (lack of) of scrap, cheap lead is a major determining factor for taking up bullet casting. Gone are the days when you could get a bucket full of wheel weights for $5. I was fortunate enough later to have access to spent bullet lead and acquired tons at no cost. Now, combined with the cost of good casting equipment, bullet casting is becomming pretty much of a lost art.
Old August 10, 2015, 12:23 PM   #7
Pathfinder45

I started at 21. Over 50 now. Lost art? So, are we relegating the art to a cult status, now?
Old August 12, 2015, 02:11 PM   #8
skizzums

I lied on the poll, I thought I was still 30 for a second. So take that 1 18-30 and put it slot number 2
Old August 13, 2015, 06:07 AM   #9
stubbicatt

Yeah, Skizzums, I liked your youtube video on casting. I don't do things exactly as you do, but it was pretty comprehensive and enjoyable viewing.
Old August 13, 2015, 08:35 AM   #10
erikk

Been doing it since the 50's but as was said, lead/linotype/wheelweights are becoming harder to come by. I have a large dirt mound that I shoot into and from time to time reclaim the spent bullets and re cast them so a never ending supply :-))
Old August 13, 2015, 11:14 AM   #11
mikld

I'm in my 60s now but started in my 40s. But cast sinkers and jigs in my teens...

I kinda think this poll will just indicate the age of those that participate in a forum poll...

Last edited by mikld; August 13, 2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old August 14, 2015, 04:51 PM   #12
Crankylove

I don't do it on my own, but have helped my father and brother cast when I get the chance.

Dads been doing it since the early-mid 80's, my brother for the last 7-8 years.

I was born in '79, looks like most casters are a weeee bit older than I.
Old August 15, 2015, 01:32 AM   #13
Paul B.

I've been casting bullets since 1954 and I'll be 77 in5 more days. Started to feed a ,38 Spl. I received for my 16th birthday and to feed a 30-30 and 30-06 as well. Took a few deer with those cast bullets. I still have enough lead to keep me going for as long as I live, Still have two full buckets of wheel weight and two full buckets of linotype plus a 100 pound piece of sheet lead. Just have to find the time to render them into ingots and then bullets.
Paul B.

Last edited by Paul B.; August 15, 2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old August 15, 2015, 08:43 AM   #14
m&p45acp10+1

I have been casting my own for around 5 years now. I am a young 38 for a few more months anyway.
Old August 17, 2015, 04:51 AM   #15
Mike / Tx

Well I never really had a huge reason to cast until I got my 454. It only took a month or so of looking things over to purchase the molds and get on with it. I now cast for everything I have in handgun and have a few molds for my rifles but haven't gotten to them yet.

I'm in the last category, but got started late as mentioned. I shot jacketed in everything and really never had a reason to switch over. When the 454 came along however there were so few bullet choices, and those that were available were costly, I took the leap. Even after purchasing my lead bulk over the net, I am still far and away ahead in the game.
Old August 17, 2015, 08:08 AM   #16
Hunter Customs

I voted, I'm 50+ and then some.

However I just started casting a year ago, just goes to show folks you can teach an old dog new tricks.
Old August 17, 2015, 11:16 AM   #17
WVMountaineer

I'm not sure if what you call mine is bullets but, I have cast'ed and do cast. I will say this. It is definitely an art and one that requires a pot thermostat to do well. I'm sure the older I get, the more I will cast as my time opens up and it is no longer waging against family and job responsibilities. God Bless
Old August 17, 2015, 12:59 PM   #18
Pond, James Pond

After recovering from the realisation and shock of selecting an age group that has 50 in it, I opted to 41-50 simply because I am determined to get into casting in this next decade of life!!

Is that allowed?
Old August 17, 2015, 11:31 PM   #19
Scorch

Bullet casting seems to be common among a few groups:
* BPCR and vintage rifle shooters, who are often faced with rifles with odd bore sizes
* Competitive pistol shooters, to whom the sheer cost of bullets becomes a limiting factor in practice
* Survivalists/primitivists, who want to know how to do all this stuff.
* Low-budget shooters, who can save a few pennies per round and so spend dozens of hours perfecting their art.

At one time or another, I have been in each of these groups. Now I don't shoot enough to justify the time spent warming up my melting pot.