The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 19, 2015, 11:45 AM   #26
kilimanjaro

Skizzums, there will be no national ban. The individual National Forests can close all or major part of the Forest by local Order, following a public input process. A total closure of a Forest is also not going to happen, but restricted areas will increase and enlarge.
Old August 19, 2015, 02:08 PM   #27
thallub

The news media is not the problem. The problem is slob shooters who make "trigger trash" and then refuse to clean up same.
Old August 19, 2015, 03:16 PM   #28
rickyrick

The media is running an anti-gun campaign. However, there is a problem with trigger trash. Unfortunately, those that do it, could give a rats-behind about it. There are rules in place for shooting in national forests. They're already breaking all those rules. They won't care about any more rules

Gun ownership is the new smoker. They will lump everyone together in one group.

If a slob trashes the forest, it's like each member of this forum has done it.
All gun owners (according to the media) are bumbling rednecks. The only people that should be allowed to own guns are trained military and police.

Wiping out private gun ownership is the final goal; it may take a generation or three to get it done, but it's what they want.

I'm rambling, but like I said, the culprits don't care.
Old August 19, 2015, 03:23 PM   #29
leadcounsel

Quote:
The media is running an anti-gun campaign.
Yes indeed. And we all suffer from the moronic selfish actions of some... turn on the news or social media and you see us bombarded with XYZ gun scandals.

If gun owners would just stop being selfish dolts...
Old August 19, 2015, 03:31 PM   #30
Tom68

Double Naught Spy,

I'm afraid you have misinterpreted my OP somewhat. I do not pretend to believe that there is another side that would justify shooting up national treasures: there is no such justification. The other side of the story, however, might begin with at least be some sort of recognition that there does indeed exist a great deal of shooters (represented by those whom have commented on this very thread) who despise and condemn this type of irresponsible and illegal behavior, and that we strongly dislike being associated with those types of folks. But, to do so would diminish the yellow journalism approach that the NYT editorial board takes with virtually any story remotely associated with the 2A, so I would not expect the Times to include any information remotely favorable towards anyone involved in shooting sports.

As for blaming the perps, perhaps I could have condemned them more strongly than I did, but I was hoping my 2nd and 4th paragraphs would cover that. Moreover, at the risk of repeating myself, I simply intended to initiate a discussion in which I hoped that someone would have a fresh idea on how the responsible shooting community could help reduce the negative, irresponsible, and/or illegal activities of those who share our interests but not our commitment to laws and responsible behavior.

Like so many who have commented thus far, I am very concerned that the actions of the minority are going to spoil a whole lot for the rest of us.
Old August 19, 2015, 05:22 PM   #31
olddav

Why are we worrying about what the writer thinks? Our actions are not the issue.. Do every thing right all the time and it won't mater, people will make up stories to support their agenda.
Any one remember the rape allegation in Rolling Stone magazine that they later admited was fabricated. How about a CBS news anchor fabricating documents aegarding George Bush military record.