The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 11, 2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Falcon642

Who makes the best shooting gloves?

My dad is looking for a pair of shooting gloves to reduce recoil so arthritis doesn't keep him from shooting his beloved Smith and Wesson .357.

This is one area of shooting where I don't have any suggestions for him and could use some help.

Thanks guys.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:13 PM   #2
1 old 0311-1

P.A.S.T.
Old November 11, 2012, 07:15 PM   #3
Creeper

Quite a few brands out there, most are just weight lifting and motorcycle gloves with different logos. For years, PAST was the numero uno of shooting gloves, now you don't see them too much anymore.
A really neat, patented new glove is called "Pro-Aim". They have a gel palm, and a polymer brace in the wrist heal area that braces the hand.
I've recommended these to a couple of people with hand and wrist issues and they absolutely love them.

Old November 12, 2012, 03:36 PM   #4
BigJimP

I have arthritis too .....and 2 things....

1. using the chemical hand warmers -helps a lot /( put one in each pocket).

2. Shooting gloves are too bulky - especially if they have padding ( bicycle gloves, etc ) ....so instead I use Foot Joy golf rain gloves - they sell them in pairs, velcro closures, high tech fibre....they hold up / and you can still pick up a dime. They will give him a little bit of cushion ...and he can still feel the gun - and the trigger - and be able to reload, etc easily.

http://www.tgw.com/customer/category...9-001b2166c62d

Here's one source..../ but all the golf super stores should carry them. Golf Winter gloves are thicker ...and too thick, in my opinion.
Old November 12, 2012, 03:46 PM   #5
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I bought a $10 pair of Craftsman mechanic gloves and love them.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old November 12, 2012, 06:17 PM   #6
rep1954

When I use gloves I use thin leather gloves made for gardening. The thin goats skin are my favorites.
Old November 14, 2012, 04:54 PM   #7
Inazone

I've tried a few different gloves, and although they're certainly not very warm, Ansell work gloves (specifically the Projex line) have been my favorites. I bought some Fox Tactical insulated shooting gloves, but the warmth of Thinsulate means sacrificing some flexibility. The only gloves that were just plain disappointing were some Ironclad "high dexterity cold weather" gloves; they just aren't flexible enough for any kind of shooting in my experience.
Old November 14, 2012, 07:48 PM   #8
Captains1911

Mechanix Wear gloves work great for me, although they don't really absorb recoil, they help with grip and provide some warmth in colder weather. You can get them at Walmart, Target, and automotive stores.
Old November 14, 2012, 08:11 PM   #9
kcub

http://singleactions.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=9088

Many good suggestions here. I am most intrigued by the Geier gloves but haven't located a convenient source yet.
Old November 14, 2012, 08:16 PM   #10
buckhorn_cortez

GripSwell makes extremely nice shooting gloves in several different styles. You need to call them with the measurements for your hands for them to size the glove for you.

I purchased a pair for my wife. I have a pair of PAST recoil gloves and the GripSwell gloves are far nicer in design and about 2x the quality.
Old November 20, 2012, 08:25 PM   #11
StrangeBird1911

polypro glove liners

I keep a pair of polypro glove liners in my car. They are soft and thin and inexpensive. Nice when the car is really cold in the morning.

At the range, I wore them while setting up targets. Forgot I had them on and fired a few mags from my 1911 and my G17. Warm hands are probably steadier hands. These are OK with temps in the 50s, but not heavy enough for colder climes.
Old November 21, 2012, 02:39 AM   #12
bonefamily

I picked up a pair of the standard Mechanix Wear gloves and they fit nicely snug. Since, I have seen on their web site that they make specific gloves for shooting - their Tactical line. Haven't tried them though. The standard Mechanix (Fast Fit) works ok for me.
Old November 21, 2012, 02:47 AM   #13
Redhawk5.5+P+

Some wrist support might help also. my brother use magnetic wrist bands, not sure of brand.
Old November 21, 2012, 11:03 AM   #14
Rainbow Demon

German surplus grey leather Luftwaffe gloves are my favorite.
After getting a new pair very dirty I cleaned them with Balistol (which is great for cleaning and disinfecting leather), rinsed with water, then rubbed in neatsfoot oil while still damp. I then wore them for awhile to let the still moist leather conform to my hands as the leather dried from body heat.
Everything (tools, knives, handguns, rifles, etc) seems to fit my hand better when wearing these. Also a very durable finish.
Old November 22, 2012, 12:00 AM   #15
marv

WalMart bike dept has some decent padded palm fingerless gloves. And the price is right.
Old November 22, 2012, 06:11 AM   #16
kcub

Seems like batting gloves or golf gloves ought to work ok as they have a velcro wrist lock.

I have a pair of Cabela's shooting gloves and don't recommend them. Too bulky and poor fit. Too tight even 1 size too large. I can't stand wearing them for more than a cylinder of .454. I even tried on a 2xl and they seemed even tighter than the xl!

I'm looking for something better and haven't found it.
Old November 22, 2012, 08:38 PM   #17
johnbt

"Smith and Wesson .357"

My father shot his Python until he was 82. He shot wadcutters.

When that got to be too much, he used a sand bag and a S&W 647 .17 HMR, a k-frame with an 8.375" barrel.

John
Old November 24, 2012, 07:03 AM   #18
kcub

I went to McBride's In Austin yesterday. They had many gloves to try on. Sometimes the old brick-and-mortar store just works better. Gloves are one. Shotguns are another.

They had a half dozen or so to try on and I learned one thing. Nobody sizes consistently. I settled on some Filson deerskins that were expensive but will fulfill many uses.
Old November 24, 2012, 04:39 PM   #19
bbqbob51

I got these on Ebay

These work for me, not too much padding and allows me to manipulate the gun. I followed their ordering instructions and they fit just snug enough without feeling too tight.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MILITARY-SHO...item1c1f097f1a
Old December 17, 2012, 08:05 PM   #20
edfrompa

Go to a motorcycle store. Get riding gloves, they have the fingers cut out. and the palms are gel padded. Very comfortable gloves to shoot with.
Old December 18, 2012, 03:05 AM   #21
AndyWest

I like the Mechanix Original pair I bought recently. Not overly bulky but also not stretchy so you want to fit them before buying. Lowe's carries them. Great for tinkering or cleaning so you don't get bit and don't leave finger oil/sweat.

[Edit]

Quote:
After getting a new pair very dirty I cleaned them with Balistol
And is it just me or is Ballistol the most magic thing ever? I recently cleaned my stovetop element drip pans with it. From nasty to near-mirror finish.
Old December 19, 2012, 12:42 PM   #22
yangos

i shoot my .357 and .44mag like they are going out of style, all i have ever worn was a single racquetball glove and a wrist band. you cab buy the glove one to a pack, which makes all the sense in the world,from any sporting goods store, and the wrist band from walgreens. if he has arthritis in the fingers I dont know of any glove that will help there. good luck.
Old December 22, 2012, 07:46 AM   #23
UtopiaTexasG19

+1 on the Foot Joy Golf Rain Gloves.