The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 9, 2007, 11:12 AM   #1
dflan

Ruger Mark III Target

All,

This is my first actual post on the forums, though I have been lurking for some time.

I have recently purchased a new Ruger Mark III Hunter, target edition. I am having a problem with it as I can't seem to get it to operate semi-auto. Specifically, after firing, the slide doesn’t cycle in a new round. In fact, the slide doesn’t move at all.

I can manually cycle a round, and it fires no problem. Taking it apart shows no problems or damage, and it seems to operate just fine. Putting it back together is a real pain, but I knew that when I got it. It is perfectly clean and well lubricated.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!

David
Old November 9, 2007, 01:34 PM   #2
Scorch

What kind of ammo are you shooting? My Ruger Government Target Model likes standard velocity ammo, but my original Ruger Target model only cycles with high-velocity ammo.
Old November 9, 2007, 10:52 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

There is no slide on the Ruger Mk III, there is a bolt that works inside the tubular receiver. Are you saying that when you fire the gun, the bolt does not move back at all, and the next round simply stays in the magazine?

And are you saying then that if you operate the bolt manually, it comes back OK and when released will close under spring pressure and pick up a round, then it will fire?

I am having a hard time thinking of anything that could cause the above to happen, so I think maybe I don't understand the problem.

Jim
Old November 10, 2007, 12:49 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

I've never had a Mk III, but I have a I and a II. Like Jim, I have no clue how this could occur? I've heard complaints about the new loaded chamber indicator in the MkIII causing magazine feed problems. Are you sure the bolt isn't coming back then simply failing to pick up the next round? If what you described is correct, the empty casing would still be in the chamber. If it is ejecting, then the bolt is just being faster than your eye.

Ruger will fix either problem at no cost to you. But until I get a chance to take apart a Mark III and look at the differences, I can't say whether the chamber indicator could be responsible for your problem or not? I would call Ruger and describe the problem before doing anything else. They are bound to have run into it before.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 11, 2007, 07:47 PM   #5
Neophyte1

GunTalk

dflan: Sir; I'm not really sure I can help. Lets try this for my vocabulary.
Load the unit "rack the slide" pull the slide back and release to strip the magazine for the next round.
remove the safety point it down range and pull the trigger. Bang. gun doesn't eject spent shell and reload for the next round. You can pull the slide back empty is removed; and release the slide to cause the unit to return to battery:
am I close?
Maybe a better solution; Go to Gun Talk forum and ask a 'gentleman' called the "Bullseye" he is the 'man' when it comes to MK11's & Mk111's
repost here or cut to the chase with 'Bullseye" tell him the neophyte recommended this action.

By the standards of most
Old November 11, 2007, 08:49 PM   #6
Pahoo

I have owned MK-I, II's and I now have a MK-III, Hunter. Have never had any kind of a problem with either. I really have to question the ammo that you are using. I have had problems with bulk pack ammo and Thunderbolts, but never with any other. Try a box of CCI minimags or Winchester Super-X. If it still does not cycle, send it back to Ruger and they will fix it in short order. Sure wish I could look at this happening just to learn more about these. By any chance, have you taken this gun apart??
Old November 11, 2007, 09:53 PM   #7
flowmaster

I have the Mark III and have been able to reproduce this problem once when i loaded CB caps for my 4 year old. There was not enough in the round to cycle the slide and chamber the next. Other than that i cant imagine your slide remaining stationary after a shot from standard 22 ammo. I hope this helps. A test you can do is hold your palm flat behind the slide when firing one handed and see if you can feel the slide come back.
Old November 11, 2007, 10:48 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think everyone is pretty well confused by now. We need to wait until dflan gives us more information.

Jim
Old November 12, 2007, 01:15 PM   #9
Neophyte1

lost

Jim; you nailed this one.

By the standards of most