The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 3, 2010, 12:48 PM   #1
mike1224

zoli shotguns

i am buying a zoli shotgun here locally and am wondering where i can find out more about the gun. I can not seem to find a model number or choke sizes on the gun. It is an over and under, has a silver reciever with etched pheasants and ducks. and comes with two sets of barrels. one set measures 29.5 inches and the other is shorter, have nott measured. Was told by sellers that it can be hunted with as i want an all aroung gun to hunt from quail to turkey.
comparably priced guns [used] seem to be 289 models, but they have black receivers and little if any etching or engraving. Any help?
Old August 3, 2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Doyle

What brand of Zoli? There are two distintive brands that carry the Zoli name. One is Anthonio Zoli, the other is Angelo Zoli (sometimes just marked A. Zoli on the frame). Angelo Zoli is no longer in business. Antonio zoli is still in business and sells some pretty high-end shotguns. They also used to make a mid-grade over/under that was sold by Sears (I've got one).
Old August 3, 2010, 02:02 PM   #3
mike1224

Doyle thanks for the answer. I really do not know. I was looking for a hunting gun and i liked the looks and feel of this one. I know they make some very high end guns, but i just want to know where to look for more data on this gun
Old August 3, 2010, 02:19 PM   #4
oneounceload

Besides the markings immediately visible, what, if anything, is marked on the barrels on the area that goes inside the receiver. If no interchangeable choke tubes, then there should be some form of star markings on the barrels in that area
Old September 7, 2010, 08:14 PM   #5
mikey2

Zoli Sliver Snipe 20 gauge

Any information on a Zoli Silver Snipe, 20 gauge, with the drawn bow under the trigger guard, 5 choke tubes, 28 inch barrels, and a brown canvas case for the gun when broken down? The price is $600 and the gun is speaking to me, for which I have no use because I have 4 others of similiar design. Over all condition would rate a "Very Good to Excellant" rating on most gun sites. Any advise on this gun?
Old September 8, 2010, 07:07 AM   #6
Doyle

That drawn bow indicates it is an Antonio Zoli. I paid $500 for an old (fixed choke) 20ga with Sears markings. I think that $600 would be a decent price for the one you are looking at.
Old September 8, 2010, 09:04 AM   #7
oneounceload

I just posted this on another thread asking about Zoli:

HTH

[QUOTE]This from another forum's older thread, but it might help on the Zoli question:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=48780

Quote:
:
the 25th Edition of the Blue Book does list a Silver Snipe under Angelo Z. However, I don't see one listed under Antonio Z. There is a Golden Snipe under Antonio.
Quote:
:
According to the BB, the Angelo Z Silver Snipe was discontinued in 1987, and the bank didn't take over until 1989.
Quote:
:
Hey Guys- Antonio Zoli has been in business since the mid-1800's and now has a permanent presence in North America. Our website is www.zoli.it. Parts and service for all current models including Z Gun, Dakota,Verona, Sig SA3 and Ritmos can be found at Cole Gunsmithing (207-833-5027). Parts are not available for most models from the 50's,60's and 70's. Gunter Pfrommer (540-484-5555) will make parts for these models if you are patient.
I know little of the Angelo Zoli guns except for what I have learned while in Italy, where they were considered to be low cost production guns.The guns had many problems and caused the company to fail.
Antonio Zoli srl manufactured guns for Ambercrombie and Fitch, Holland and Holland, Beretta,Sig, Kreighoff,etc. as well their own models.
Paolo Zoli, grandson of Antonio Zoli, now runs the company with Zoli family members as well as many generations of Zoli gunsmiths.The new models reflect his desire to produce high quality guns to compete with the best on the market.Steve
Old September 8, 2010, 12:10 PM   #8
Doyle

I don't know about being a Silver Snipe, but if it has the drawn bow it is definately an Antonio Zoli. That trademark is still in use today.
Old July 16, 2012, 01:59 AM   #9
A.zoli

A.zoli

I have the same problem. I own the Same gun that you seem to be describing. It's has a silver plated side with pheasants on one side and ducks on the other. It had a gold plated trigger. The one barrel has 3 stars on it and the other has 4 and I can't seem to find a single thing out about it. I can't even find any
Pictures on it. If anyone could help me out it'd be greatly appreciated
Old July 16, 2012, 06:55 PM   #10
SHR970

The Beretta codes; also commonly used by other Italian shotgun makers.

*= Full choke
**= Improved Modified
***=Modified
****=Improved Cylinder
*****=Cylinder
Old October 22, 2012, 04:05 PM   #11
Mayor Al

Hey Guys, maybe you can steer me to a source of identification help for my newly acquired Antonio Zoli 12 Magnum O/U Shotgun. Ser # 77124,
Case-hardened receiver with engraving.
vent rib,
26 inch barrels,
labeled "Made for American Imports, San francisco CAlifornia"
Various proof marks,
Name- Antonio Zoli imprinted near the trigger guard area.
DOUBLE (2) TRIGGERS.

I need to know the model name/label to get an understanding of the value of this auction-bought gun. It came in a beautiful custom suitcase designed to hold a breakdown gun in the three basic pieces...all velvet padded. Case from Belleville, Wisconsin.

If you know anything about this model gun, please share your information. If you have a source for research, share it and I will do a followup contact. I am hoping to find a source like Ruger has to trace serial numbers for production information and dates.

Here it is

Old October 22, 2012, 06:17 PM   #12
Lock Stock

Hi Guys,

If any of you are looking for info on Zoli shotguns in the American market, here's a LINK to their website, where you can download the full catalogue with gun specs, details on barrel markings, chokes etc.

Not sure we have the same guns in Europe as you guys do in the US, I've certainly not come across 'Silver Snipe' over here (unless they're a 20g?)

I personally shoot a Zoli Sport Z-Extra 12g, 32-inch, multi-choke (external):

and Zoli Kronos Sport, 12g, 29.5-inch, multi-choke:

There's also a ton of info on buying and selling Zolis in the US at this LINK

As you will probably know, they do Sporting guns, Trap guns, and game guns.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Bren.
Old October 22, 2012, 06:58 PM   #13
jaguarxk120

A. Zoli here's some info., I hope this will help you out.

On the bottom of the barrels there is a flat spot, stamped there is the proof marks and in a small box stamping you will find letters or roman numerals, that is a date code telling when the gun was made.

You may also find a small oval with letters in it that will be the makers stamp.
Stamped into the barrels very faintly you may find the importers stamp, mine is "Cape Outfitters".

Left side of the barrels near the breach the barrels are stamped A. Zoli
to the left of that stamp there is R.F.M.- Brescia-Italy-
The barrel choke markings are upper *** lower ****, it is a 20 gauge.

Sometime after Angelo went bankrupt "RFM, Rota, Luciano" aquired the assets of A. Zoli, they built guns marked A.Zoli and RFM. The date code on my gun is 1991 four years after Zoli closed their doors.

If you look on the butt plate there are circles/bullseye or a target moulded into the plastic, A. Zoli's trademark.

My gun is also marked "MICHIGAN DUCKS UNLIMITED"
Old February 10, 2022, 10:39 AM   #14
klcm54a

55.jpg

47.jpg

51.jpg

You guys have any info on Antonio Zoli/Fiocchi of America, Ritmo #179661, shotgun, 12ga., over and under, single trigger, 28" barrels that are heavily ported, choke tubes, vent rib with two bead sights extra fancy checkered wood stocks, factory scroll work. I bought it for $1495 at auction the other day. Stamped CAM 70 184 and KGL1500
Old February 16, 2022, 09:02 AM   #15
klcm54a

Someone mentioned in another forum that this might be a Ritmo skeet gun from the 1990s. Blue Book has top value at $1250. Any other info would be awesome.
Old February 16, 2022, 09:12 AM   #16
jaguarxk120

On the bottom of the barrels where the proof marks are is a Roman Numeral stamping.
Those letters "XXX" are the date code when the gun was made.
You can lookup the year of Mfg. on Shotgunworld.com, I think the forum
is the Franchi Shotguns.

I doubt it is a skeet gun since the choke markings on the barrels are
* Full and *** Modified.

Last edited by jaguarxk120; February 16, 2022 at 09:19 AM.