The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 2, 2015, 12:45 PM   #1
std7mag

Rossi R243 Heavy barrel throat...

So I got a heck of a deal on a Rossi R243 single shot, heavy barrel for my g/f to use for target shooting.

Got some Sierra 100gr. SPBT GameKings. (decent BC for the weight).

Placed bullet, just starting in the neck of an empty(read previously fired, spent primer, no powder) casing to get a judge on the Cartridge length.

Throat is WAAAY long. As in bullet is pressed into the case neck just past the boat tail. Barely any area to grip the bullet. If I seat to Sierra's Max length of 2.710" the bullet is gripped by the full length of the neck. But this leaves a Huge jump...

Any suggestions???
Just so we are clear, I'm leaning towards using Sierra's reccomendation, even though it's a single shot, and I don't have to worry about magazine length.

Std7mag
Old August 2, 2015, 03:18 PM   #2
243winxb

Jump is ok. When you go to lighter bullets, you will still need to keep a lot of bullet shank in the case neck.
Old August 2, 2015, 05:34 PM   #3
snuffy

Quote:
Throat is WAAAY long. As in bullet is pressed into the case neck just past the boat tail. Barely any area to grip the bullet. If I seat to Sierra's Max length of 2.710" the bullet is gripped by the full length of the neck. But this leaves a Huge jump...
They do that to reduce pressure. The lonGER throat gives the bullet time to move before encountering the rifling which tends to slow the bullet . It also gives the powder a bigger chamber to burn in, further reducing the pressure.

You'll just have to live with it. Some long jump chambers shoot quite well.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 2, 2015, 09:15 PM   #4
WVMountaineer

Load up some based on the Hornady manual. Crimp at the manual length if the bullet has a cannelure. I'm betting it shoots great. I know my dads two Rossi's are the same and they shoot factory stuff lights out. God Bless
Old August 3, 2015, 05:00 AM   #5
hooligan1

Use longer bullets.
Old August 3, 2015, 01:20 PM   #6
snuffy

Quote:
Use longer bullets.
Such as;;??¿¿

The only bullet that I know of that's longer is the 105 grain speer RN. One of the problems with the Sierra HPBT IS the BT. A standard 100 grain bullet would have more shank for the neck to grip with that long throat.

The main problem is; the Rossi single shot action is only capable of handling lower pressures. As I said before, the long throat limits the pressure build up so that weak action doesn't get stressed too much.

Another potential problem with your 100 Sierra HPBT is how long that bullet is. Remember that it's not how heavy a bullet is, it's length is also important. Most .243's have difficulty stabilizing any 100 grain bullet. Now Rossi limits the pressure with their long throat, which of course also limits velocity.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 3, 2015, 05:21 PM   #7
std7mag

Hmmm, interesting.... Very interesting....

With the single shot, aka lots of metal around the chamber, I wouldn't think pressure would be such an issue...

If I go to a longer bullet, which usually entails a heavier bullet, then I would possibly have stabilization issues. Due to the standard 1:10 twist. That or I would have to crank up the velocity...

Thanks all for your replies!!!

Keep em coming!!

Std7mag
Old August 4, 2015, 02:09 AM   #8
snuffy

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting.... Very interesting....

With the single shot, aka lots of metal around the chamber, I wouldn't think pressure would be such an issue...
Pressure affects all parts of a firearm equally. That means the breach gets as much pressure as the chamber walls. The standing breach in the case of the Rossi is very weak in the lock-up of the barrel to the action. This will cause it to strain the locking bolt until it won't keep it closed upon firing. Break-open single shots have always had problems handling high pressure.

Old August 4, 2015, 05:09 AM   #9
hooligan1

I would yhink that Barnes has a 100 grain bullet and that it would be longer than a cup and core of same weight..??¿¿¿ Yes pressure will be different with longer bullets, that why Nosler slips a little yellow reminder in their E-Tip bullet boxes...chek those as well.