The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 26, 2012, 07:22 PM   #1
hounddawg

1953 GI issue 45 case, first reload

Was cleaning and pre priming a bunch of pistol stuff today and found a GI issued WCC (Western Cartridge Corporation) made in 1953, still had the crimp

Last edited by hounddawg; December 26, 2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old December 26, 2012, 09:23 PM   #2
Shotgun693

There's a very good chance it was a corrosive loading. I don't have the dates with the change from corrosive to non-corrosive. I'd either toss it or keep it as a conversation piece.
Old December 26, 2012, 10:25 PM   #3
hounddawg

WCC 53 was non corrosive ammo and even if it were the primer would have been the only corrosive component. I just thought it was interesting that I came across an almost 60 year old round that was only recently fired for the first time.

If you ever do run across a good deal on some ammo that is corrosive ammo dont be afraid to jump on it. Just scrub the barrel really well after you get back from the range, preferably with soap and water. That is how I clean all my pistols and my AR anyway. My wife is convinced I am the only person in the world that takes a shower with a AR15

Last edited by hounddawg; December 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old December 26, 2012, 11:49 PM   #4
Sport45

Cool. I didn't know they crimped .45acp. But they did have submachine guns that used the stuff so I suppose it makes sense they would.

I kick myself for not buying cases of the WWII surplus (steel cased?) corrosive stuff they were selling 15 or so years ago for a few cents a round...
Old December 27, 2012, 06:11 AM   #5
hounddawg

Quote:
Cool. I didn't know they crimped .45acp. But they did have submachine guns that used the stuff so I suppose it makes sense they would.
the primer had the full ring crimp and there was a series of small indented dots around the case which I assume were there to prevent bullet set back

Last edited by hounddawg; December 27, 2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old December 27, 2012, 03:17 PM   #6
RickB

WWI-vintage stuff has a "stab crimp" on the bullet, while late G.I. ammo has a glue/sealer on the bullet. No obvious bullet crimp or cannelure on the steel-cased rounds I have, but they do have a non-standard primer, peculiar to Frankford Arsenal, IIRC.
I have handloaded .45 cases with headstamps throughout the '60s-'90s, but do occasionally find one from the '50s, or even the '40s.
I am familiar with a '53 case that's crossed my bench a couple of times, perhaps having been picked-up and loaded by someone else between trips "home".
Not to get too far afield, but have you ever seen G.I. .45 Auto cases with narrow, .30-06 extractor grooves? I knew that the case-head dimensions of .45 and .30-06 were similar, but I have some .45 cases that appear to have been formed more completely than usual on .30 tooling. I set them aside, thinking that they may be stronger than standard .45 cases, due to the additional material.
Old December 27, 2012, 06:20 PM   #7
hounddawg

Rick first noticed this on when I went to prime it and the primer would not go in. First thought was I had a small primer .45 but upon examination it was large primer, retried inserting the primer and no go, got my primer cup tools out and had to remove a bit of the edge the cup to get the primer to start. That is why I assume it had a full ring crimp and has never been reloaded
Old December 27, 2012, 06:32 PM   #8
m&p45acp10+1

I have some of the 1955 vintage once I removed the crimps they shot just like any other.
Old December 27, 2012, 08:21 PM   #9
burrhead

I have about 2000 pieces of WCC 63 that are full ring crimped. They're stashed on the "ya never know" shelf.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.

Last edited by burrhead; December 27, 2012 at 08:26 PM.