The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 12, 2001, 10:44 PM   #1
TCW

Need advice on a mag follower problem for an 870...HELP!!

Hi,
I just Installed a new Choate 7rd extension on my 870. The plastic orange follower that came with it is getting hung up inside magazine at the last remaining round (when only 1 round is loaded in the mag). In other words it's not sliding completely forward so that I can see the orange. Almost like the plastic material is not slick enough. I would use the original follower, but it's a different shape than the Choate follower. The Choate has a 2 inch tail and the factory has no tail.

Is this "tail" needed for the extra long 7 round spring?

Suggestions?

Thanks!
TCW
Old July 13, 2001, 06:10 AM   #2
Tom B

No the tail is not needed. Go back to the stock follower. Scattergun,Vang and choate all use a different follower and all will work with any mag ext as well as the stock follower. I have the Scattergun in mine.
Old July 13, 2001, 07:50 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The followers in my "Serious" 870s are steel, original parts. No problems to report in maybe 20 years of use.

I would suggest you take a look in the mag tube and see if anything's burred, or maybe a touch of corrosion. Both probs are easily fixed.
Old July 13, 2001, 01:10 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

The purpose of the "tail" is to prevent trying to force too many rounds into the magazine, and fouling the mag spring. I've never been able to get this to happen, so I'm not sure if it's necessary.

I would check the inside of the tube, and check the follower for deformation or oversize. Try putting it down the tube with the extension off and no spring. You should be able to spot the problem.
Old July 13, 2001, 10:29 PM   #5
MiniZ

I have always used the stock follower with extensions, with no problems. I would still take the advice and check out the inside of the tube, just to make sure it is the follower.

Zane
Old July 15, 2001, 11:52 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

As mentioned above, the original followers used by Remington in their 870s were steel. They later went to plastic as they found it to be cheaper and problems with corrosion were avoided.
Old July 16, 2001, 06:49 AM   #7
AC's & 45's

How old is the 870 design. I have been told alot of them were used in Vietnam. Does it go further back than that.
My recently inherited fathers 870 has the plastic follower.
It was purchased new in 1972.

I have a new 870 express. It is alright, but it ain't as sweet as the old one.
Old July 16, 2001, 06:59 AM   #8
DAVID NANCARROW

The 870 came out in the late 1940's-I want to say 1948 but I may be a year or two off.
Old July 16, 2001, 08:21 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

870 production started April, 1950,IIRC. My oldest one was made that November.

There were lots of shotguns in Nam, most acquired outside normal channels. 870s were among them.

The biggest difference between the "feel" of new vs old 870s is quite simple. It takes some usage to smooth up the action. SO, when you shuck a new one and say"Darn, this isn't as slick as Uncle Jeb's", remember Uncle Jeb's 870 probably felt just like that when new. Run a case of shells through it and try it again. Repeat frequently...