The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 13, 2013, 01:18 AM   #1
marineman

835 Barrell

Hey guys, I've been using a Mossberg 835 for Turkey and might need to add a deer setup to it. I'm losing access to my private hunting land and the area around my house is shotgun only. I would like to get a smooth bore barrel and use rifled slugs just because they're easier for me to get in bulk and I will be shooting a lot to get it sighted in and ready to go. Looking through brownells and midway there are quite a few replacement barrels but I have no idea which ones are normal barrels and which ones have the swell up to 10ga like the factory barrel. Anyone have a recommendation for me?
Old April 13, 2013, 01:30 AM   #2
big al hunter

I have an 835 with a rifled barrel. It shoots rifled slugs better than my other smooth bore guns. You have to let it cool between shots when sighting in or you can't hit the paper. On a cold barrel It is very accurate compared to smooth bore.
Old April 13, 2013, 03:29 AM   #3
marineman

I thought you could only shoot sabot slugs with a rifled barrel??
Old April 13, 2013, 07:36 PM   #4
big al hunter

Rifled slugs were designed for smooth bore to impart spin. They work just fine in my rifled barrel. No different than shooting cast lead bullets in a revolver or muzzle loader.

I have found sabot slugs to be more accurate than rifled slugs. But rifled slugs are still accurate enough for deer at 100 yards or less. With some sabot rounds in my TC encore the range can be extended to 200 yards for deer.
Old April 13, 2013, 09:59 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Rifled slugs are safe in a rifled bore and there is much contention whether there is excessive leading of the grooves and if polishing might diminish this as we all know lead bullets in rifled bores are common...

But I must clarify the following...

Quote:
Rifled slugs were designed for smooth bore to impart spin.
Actually spin is not intended nor needed with a traditional "rifled slug"...
What you see are actually just there to give a good seal in the barrel knowing shotguns have such variation to dimensions... The limited surface area raised in the form of the rifle grooves allows the slug to swage through various constrictions up to and including old fashion "full" choke but maybe not a "turkey full"...

They got called "rifled" as a marketing ploy by the first ammo house to put an angle to the lines...

These slugs do not need spin because they fly with the badminton shuttle cock physics...

They have a hollow butt and heavy nose...

Brent
Old April 14, 2013, 12:52 AM   #6
big al hunter

I learn something new every day. Thanks Brent
Old April 16, 2013, 03:17 AM   #7
bamaranger

Here's something else

I think they (Mossberg) make a Moss. 835 smooth bored slug bbl that is actually NOT overbored and is intended for 12ga slugs. The 835 barrels are not "swelled up" but bored out to about 10 ga dia. If I've got it right the barrels intended for slugs are normal 12ga dia. Also seems like two lengths are out there, 18" and the more common 22(24?).

Finally, I recall reading an article about standard Foster rifled slugs many years back, where the author speculated that at extreme range Foster slugs slowed down enough that the flutes actually did impart a degree of rotation and improved accuracy. Way out there, like 300 yds. Which as we know, is not slug range or practical, but this was the guys observations.
Old April 18, 2013, 12:59 AM   #8
big al hunter

My Mossberg 835 slug barrel is rifled.