The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 9, 2010, 02:25 PM   #1
JMF0486

Upgrades for Savage Edge??

I looked around but didnt see anything specifically for the edge series. Might just be really bad at looking tho. Or that this rifle is to low end for companies to manufacture anything for it.
Old November 9, 2010, 02:47 PM   #2
Scorch

It's a new model, released just a few months ago; it's a budget model, so buyers who were looking for the "bottom of the barrel" found it. No upgrade parts yet.
Old November 9, 2010, 02:52 PM   #3
JMF0486

Yea i figured that. Just figured maybe since its been getting alot of good reviews and is making a pretty good buzz for low end rifles. That there might have been someone trying to come out with something. Thanks for the answer tho

JMF
Old November 10, 2010, 08:22 AM   #4
dodge

There are aftermarket triggers available for them. Rifle Basix offers one and I think that Timmeny also.
Old November 10, 2010, 10:54 AM   #5
JMF0486

Alright thanks, ill check into that

JMF
Old November 10, 2010, 12:18 PM   #6
TMackey

I wonder why they changed the name?

Quote:
Axis Series - Previously "Edge"
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
Old November 10, 2010, 12:20 PM   #7
JMF0486

whoa when did that happen?? I was just on their website prolly a week ago and it still said Edge?????
Old November 10, 2010, 12:33 PM   #8
4runnerman

Having had one in a 223. I can honestly say it will out shoot 90% of guns out there costing 5 times as much. Totally awesome gun. Only reason i got rid of it was to get into extreame long range shooting and that gun has a 1 in 9 twist,not good for extreame long range. Other than that very,very accurate gun all around
Old November 10, 2010, 12:35 PM   #9
JMF0486

o yea i like it for sure. im new to the whole hunting/target scene. i spent 5 yrs in marine corps infantry so not new to shooting. but could you explain what the twist rate stuff means?? i know its probaly a dumb question but im lost when ppl talk about that. im kinda in sponge mode right now soaking up as much info as i can. thanks tho.

JMF
Old November 10, 2010, 12:50 PM   #10
precision_shooter

Quote:
but could you explain what the twist rate stuff means?? i know its probaly a dumb question but im lost when ppl talk about that. im kinda in sponge mode right now soaking up as much info as i can. thanks tho.
Most every barrel in any caliber is available with different rates of twist. The twist rate refers to the rifling inside the barrel and how many inches a bullet must travel down the barrel to make a full revolution.

1 in 9 = 1 full revolution for every 9 inches of barrel length.

The twist rate will lend itselft to accuracy by whether or not it can stabilize the bullet weight you are firing. a 1 in 9 .223 barrel will stabilize the light 40-45 grain rounds as well as up to about 62-65 grain rounds. Sometimes, depending on the gun, it will allow you to shoot the heavier 70+ grain loads but usually the 1 in 9 twist is too slow of a twist rate to stabilze the heavier bullets and this is where a 1 in 7 twist rate is favorable.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old November 10, 2010, 01:37 PM   #11
JMF0486

So the bigger the bullet the higher the twist rate you want then, right??? i know this is getting off topic of my original post but, that was actually really helpful to me, if i am understanding it correctly
Old November 10, 2010, 01:50 PM   #12
precision_shooter

Quote:
So the bigger the bullet the higher the twist rate you want then, right
Technically, but remember, it's not a higher twist rate, it's a faster twist rate.

1 in 9 is slower than 1 in 7 because the bullet spins faster as it makes a full revolution within 7 inches instead of 9 inches. The heavier the bullet the faster you want it to spin to remain stable in flight.

So just remember, when talking about twist rates the lower the number the faster the twist.

But, there is no magic formula to tell if your rifle will like any certain bullet weight. The only way to find out is to try several different ones until you find the one that shoots the best.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old November 10, 2010, 01:53 PM   #13
JMF0486

Sweet thanks alot for that info. That cleared things up alot for me!!!

JMF
Old November 10, 2010, 02:17 PM   #14
4runnerman

But, there is no magic formula to tell if your rifle will like any certain bullet weight. The only way to find out is to try several different ones until you find the one that shoots the best.

Could not have said it better..Guns are like Females(oops did i say that).They are very finicky ha ha
Old November 10, 2010, 05:02 PM   #15
sc928porsche

If you contact some of the quality barrel makers, they can usually advise you on what twist rate to use for cartridge/bullet weight.
Old November 10, 2010, 05:28 PM   #16
sc outdoorsman

I found this guideline http://stevespages.com/page8e.htm for bullet length and twist rate that is really informative.
Old November 12, 2010, 04:16 PM   #17
Bird Dog

I have one in 7-08. Like the Stevens 200 before it, I bought it cheap as a project gun - not a 1st string out of the box hunting rifle.

The action and barrel are Savage through and through. Accurate, not silky smooth, but rugged. Savage barrel swaps are possible (same locking system).

The trigger can be safely and rather easliy re-worked to a crisp 3 1/2 to 4 lbs, but only by a qualified individual. It is non adjustable and heavy out of the box (about 5 1/2 lbs). Mine now breaks nice and smooth at a touch over 3 1/2 lbs (which is fine for hunting).

The stock is as flimbsy as you will ever find. This is the gun's most glaring deficiency. You cannot rest the fore-end on anything and apply any down pressure what-so-ever and get it to shoot tight groups.

After a considerable break in period (normal for Savage barrels) I was able to get consistent 1" three-shot groups with 150 gr Partitons and H 4350 (so long as I rested the gun back on the receiver area and not forward). Still I have $275 in it (not counting optics) and I'm getting great groups with a load that will kill just anything I'd ever want to shoot in North America. In a year or two, when they become available, I'll get a Boyds or Hogue aftermarket stock and this gun will be a great member of the battery for decades. I may even get into that barrel swapping habit someday. Although, once I get a hunting gun shooting well with a pet load, I like to leave it alone.
Old November 12, 2010, 05:26 PM   #18
Kmar40

Quote:
It's a new model, released just a few months ago; it's a budget model, so buyers who were looking for the "bottom of the barrel" found it.
Bottom of the barrel? It's a Remington 770 in disguise?
Old November 12, 2010, 07:31 PM   #19
jhgreasemonkey

Here is a trigger upgrade that will work on the edge model. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=254387
Old November 12, 2010, 07:39 PM   #20
bhannah

Twist rate

If you want to be technical about twist rate it is not the weight of the projectile it is the length. Yes longer projectiles are generally heavier but not always.
Old November 12, 2010, 07:47 PM   #21
HKFan9

I find it hilarious when people buy basic entry level guns than look for after market upgrades for them.... Why not save your money and buy a rifle with a little bit more cost but a lot more quality? A Rem 70 ADL is roughly the same price... and its still a 700...

Yes the 770 is a terrible terrible rifle, but the edge is pretty much on par with it. Hollow stock included.
Old November 12, 2010, 08:42 PM   #22
Bird Dog

Quote:
I find it hilarious when people buy basic entry level guns than look for after market upgrades for them.... Why not save your money and buy a rifle with a little bit more cost but a lot more quality? A Rem 70 ADL is roughly the same price... and its still a 700
Because, whether you spend $1000 for a new "higher grade" bolt gun, or $275 for and Edge, you are not quaranteed to get a MOA shooter. However, based on my previous experience with a "cheap" Savage, a Stevens 200 I picked up for $199, Savage barreled actions do have that potential. So, you buy it, work up a pet load and see what you got. If it is a shooter, as both of mine have proven to be, you don't mind paying for a nicer stock. My Stevens 200 .30-06 for example cost $199. It shoots no $h%^ 3/4" groups with 165 grain Noslers. So yeah, I didn't mind dropping another $145 for a Hogue overmolded stock (my favorite). I'd say if you can find any new Remington on this planet with a Hogue stock that shoots legit 3/4" keyhole groups for $345, you should buy it. Good luck with that! You'll likely be looking for a long time.

I hope to duplicate the same with the Edge/Axis. I am not at sub MOA, but consistent 1" to 1 1/4" groups with 7mm 150 grain Partitions ain't bad. Now I just need Hogue to offer the stock! Maybe I got lucky twice. Or, maybe Savage is just that good. Why should I spend $500+ for a gun with a stock I don't like as well, when it isn't quaranteed to shoot MOA (or close) any more then the Edge or Stevens 200 is?

As for Remington being better quality then Savage, we won't even go there. 3/4" groups with the 200 and 1" with the Edge is fine quality in my book.

Last edited by Bird Dog; November 12, 2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old November 13, 2010, 12:27 AM   #23
HKFan9

See I wasn't going for Remington vs. Savage, I own both, both are amazing shooters, however I don't consider their bargain brand junk econo rifles such as the 770 and the edge part of that equation. I see both come back with with problems (mainly the 770's with the bolt grinding into its own receiver.) If you wanted a cheap gun to tinker with for groups as a hobby.... but a 100$ Mosin.

For the same money as a new Edge you can get a used Savage 10/12/110/111 you name it, and they are much better.

As far as spending a little bit of cash and guaranteeing MOA, the Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA rifles come to mind.

Savages ARE shooters, and ARE very affordable, why even try with their "more affordable" line. It's just asking for trouble, then putting upgrades into it? That to me, is like putting lipstick on a pig.

As far as your $1000 option... Kimber rifles look pretty, but I would never buy them for their accuracy. Savage 10 and Remington 700 have had more than their fair share to gloat about, and if you look around, you can pick one up for about the same price at an Edge or 770.

Plus based on the after market alone I recommend people go with either of the two.

I should say the Edge is a step above the 770, just based on almost half the 770's we sell have issues, where the edges is less. The 770's main problem is the terrible fitting with the both, they stick, or gouge, its not pretty.

Last edited by HKFan9; November 13, 2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old November 13, 2010, 12:39 AM   #24
ndking1126

Quote:
a 1 in 9 .223 barrel will stabilize the light 40-45 grain rounds as well as up to about 62-65 grain rounds.
As previously mentioned, each barrel will be a little different, but in my experience 1-9 is entirely too fast for 45 grain bullets. Even 55 grain bullets don't shoot as well as the 62-69 grains do in a 1-9 twist. 55 grains usually do better with 1-12. 45 maybe 1-14?? Probably 1-12 would work too.

I'd be interested to see if others have had the same experiences as me.
Old November 13, 2010, 12:42 AM   #25
Buzzcook

I'm not knowledgeable about the Edge. But buying a bottom end rifle in order to modify it into a high quality shooter doesn't make a lot of sense.

Buy a used high end rifle and rebuild that.