The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 14, 2001, 03:41 AM   #1
TCW

Fiasco at the gun shop (true story)

Thanks for the replies regarding the magazine follower problem.

The inside of the magazine is pretty dirty (I bought this gun used and the guy did not take care of it!). I think I'll also order the Brownells steel follower just for the heck of it.

What a fiasco at the gun shop where I got this extension installed on my 870 express! After they had taken two weeks to install it instead of the "one week" they promised, and after they charged me $35.00 instead of the $20.00 they quoted over the phone, I went down to pick up the gun. I noticed that the new Choate plastic orange follower was sticking when I pushed it in. One of the gunsmiths took of the extension right there...and when he unscrewed it, the spring shot out like a bolt of lightning, flew across the counter and nailed me right between the eyes. I got a one-inch gash that was instantly bleeding! "Sorry...I'll get you a band-aid", he said as he was still messing with the gun.

While he was still trying to get the spring back in, I was standing there with blood dripping down my nose! I noticed that my new mag extension now had fresh scrapes where the spring had made contact on the way to my forehead . One of the other employees eventually got me a band-aid. He put the old follower in, followed by the new plastic follower, followed by the rabid spring, handed me some shells and let me try shooting it in their range "on the house" . Well, it jammed and I went back and told him to just use ONE of the followers, so he took it to his bench and I took cover.

I could still see him behind my barricade when he was unscrewing the extension. When he finally got the extension loose, the spring launched it like Apollo 11! Up into the wild blue, striking metal tools, bouncing on the cement floor and landing safely in a pile of cobwebs. One small step for gunsmiths, one giant leap for my insanity.

After mangling my gun further, he put the factory follower in without the second follower behind it. This led to more atrocities in the firing range, but I won't get into that right now.

Before I left, I bought a bottle Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to repair the damage inflicted to my gun.

Hope you enjoyed my story!
TCW
Old July 14, 2001, 03:59 AM   #2
PreserveFreedom

Oh my!
Quote:
Before I left, I bought a bottle Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to repair the damage inflicted to my gun.
I think I would have made that purchase elsewhere.

Old July 14, 2001, 06:02 AM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

TCW - I would never let them work on anything I have again. That's waaay beyond the pale.

Giz
Old July 14, 2001, 07:33 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Find a real smith and let these Keystone Cop imitations alone.

Anyone smart enough to feed and dress themselves know those springs are compressed, and will SPRING out when released. Get away from these lackwits before they qualify for a Darwin Award.

Aluminum black works on aluminum,what part of an 870 is aluminum?
Old July 14, 2001, 07:41 AM   #5
hksigwalther

Just curious. How come you didn't install the mag extension yourself?
Old July 14, 2001, 07:44 AM   #6
hksigwalther

Never mind, just saw your original post on another thread.
Old July 14, 2001, 09:20 AM   #7
Ledbetter

This is why I won't let others do things I can learn myself

This is not a criticism of you my friend. In the time I have spent waiting for shoddy work to be done on my guns, I can generally buy the right tool and learn to do the job myself with the help of others or from a book. (But no machining, etc.) I have found that no gunsmith cares nearly as much about my guns as I do.

Regards.
Old July 14, 2001, 02:39 PM   #8
TCW

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I do feel pretty stupid letting the scenario continue as it did. They will never touch my guns again. That spring dang near took out my eye!

Dave, you made a good point about the Birchwood "Aluminum Black"...the mag extension is a matte black finish STEEL. Any suggestions for touching-up matte steel? Doesn't Brownwells have some kind of balck paint?

Keep your safety glasses on,
Tom
Old July 14, 2001, 07:18 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It's been a long time since I cold blued anything, but here goes....

In a well ventilated area:

Clean the surface to be touched up with alcohol.
Using a piece of old T shirt or similiar, daub on the bluing until the area is covered. Wait the time prescribed on the bottle, and flush with cold water. Clean it up and oil lightly.

The finish never quite matches, but usually runs close enough. How glossy it is depends on the finish on the metal.

Read the directions and cautions carefully. This is a potent chemical.

Time and use has added a few "Character Marks" to my shotguns. Mostly I just live with them....
Old July 14, 2001, 09:44 PM   #10
C.R.Sam

TCW, good grief ! Have you by chanced discussed this fiasco with the store owner ? Not the manager, the owner. Or was it the owner who scarred both you and your gun ? If that had happened in my place I would be wettin myself and doin all possible to appease the injured customer. That "gunsmith" would be getting remedial training, or job shopping.

Sam
Old July 14, 2001, 10:54 PM   #11
blades67

Quote:
Aluminum black works on aluminum,what part of an 870 is aluminum?
The receiver.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old July 15, 2001, 12:41 AM   #12
DML

Excuse me, but the receiver on the 870 is steel. Depending on the age and model, the only aluminum part is the trigger housing.

TCW:

You didn't pay this Bozo did you? If I damage a part like a magazine tube extension, I install a new one. Sometimes a scratch on a guns finish is difficult to prevent, but what you described is inexcuseable. :barf:

Geez! What would they say if they blew your head off? Oops just doesn't seem to cut it.
Old July 15, 2001, 03:58 AM   #13
Point Blank

Sorry bout you gun,got a good laugh at your story telling though!!!!
Old July 15, 2001, 10:42 AM   #14
Cosmoline

I've seen that one!

Isn't that the one where Larry get his head stuck in a reloading press, then Curly tries to nail up a picture with some nice pointy cartridges?
Old July 15, 2001, 11:48 AM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

Must be a salesman pretending to be a gunsmith. They read a few Duncan Long books and then they think they know what they're doing.

It's outrageous that they even charge you after what happened. I'd think they'd give you it for free considering the injury you suffered due to their negligence.
Old July 19, 2001, 09:46 AM   #16
xraymongral

Most defintly talk to the store owner and have them get you a new extension, sans scratch marks, and have them pay for it to be installed by a compitent gunsmith.

Please be kind enought to post name/location of this smith so we can be for warned.
Old July 19, 2001, 10:13 AM   #17
Alleycat

"Give me my gun. NOW. And the parts. NOW. Give me my money, NOW. Goodbye."

Steve