The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 16, 2000, 06:31 PM   #1
Brian R

I have a double barrel 12 gauge that I have had for a while and would be interested if you knew anything about it.

It is a double barrel 12 gauge made by Geo. Worthington, Clevland OH.

There is a faint stamp on it that reads April 20, 1945.

Do you know anything about it? I was thinking of selling it, but didnt know if it was rare or valuable.

Thanks.
Old February 16, 2000, 08:08 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Brian:

I cannot locate in any of my crossovers, or mfg's any information on this shotgun. Possibly someone else can help out.

HJN
Old February 16, 2000, 08:21 PM   #3
2shots

Brian,
Go over to gunshop.com and check the doublegun forum. The place is a repository if information about doubleguns. I suspect that your Worthington will be called a JABC (just another Belgian clunker). But I hope I'm wrong. How about describing the shotgun.
Old February 16, 2000, 08:23 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

It might be an Iver Johnson according to the crossover list at the bottom of this page:
http://www2.arkansas.net/~sws1/iver01.htm
Old February 17, 2000, 02:11 AM   #5
Steven Mace

Brian, the George Worthington Company of Cleveland, OH contracted to have their shotguns made Crescent Fire Arms Company. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

------------------
After today, its all historical
Old February 17, 2000, 06:16 AM   #6
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Brian:

Steve is corrict in his determination and this shuld clear up some of the information you requested.

CRESCENT ARMS

This Company mfg’d good quality, inexpensive side by side and single Bbl shotguns and was founded in 1883. They were bought by the H&D Folsom Arms Company of New York, importers and distributors of firearms and sporting goods.

After the purchase of Crescent, the Folsom Company was able to offer a complete range of shotguns, imported English French, Belgium and American made Crescents. By the turn of the century Crescent Arms produced huge quantities of “Hardware Guns” it produced guns under direct contract to distributors, mail order housed and hardware distributors with any brand name the customer requested. Crescent also produced guns for its parent company, as Folsom house brands that were sold to customers that did not want their own brand name.

By the lat 1890's Crescent was producing basically five grade of dbl bbl shotguns offering a model for most tastes. The Crescent /Folsom Arms Company continued this type of business until 1930 when it merged with Davis Warner Arms Corp and became the Crescent-Davis Arms Corp. In 1932 it assets and machinery were bought by Stevens Arms Company, a victim of changing tastes and the depression

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited February 17, 2000).]
Old February 17, 2000, 08:48 PM   #7
Brian R

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate your time.

Has anyone found any $$$$ value for a shotgun of this type?

I would say its at about 50 or 60% condition.
All the blueing (if there was any) is gone, but the stocks are in good shape and it is not loose in any of the mechanisms.

Thanks.
Old February 18, 2000, 11:43 AM   #8
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Brian:
From your description, I would not hesitat on a $150.00 to $200.00 figure.

HJN