The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 9, 2007, 03:44 PM   #1
Mainah

New Barrel?

I'm looking forward to my second deer season, and I'll be hunting with my 870 Express Magnum again this year.

I was at Dick's yesterday and I thought about getting the 20" rifled barrel for about $170.00, but I didn't pull the trigger.

I figure that the money would be better spent on the Henry that I'm lusting after, but I'd welcome any feedback.
Old September 9, 2007, 04:53 PM   #2
jrothWA

what are you state requiremnts?

Can you use get double use?
Can a good muzzleloader cover more seasons.
Rifled barrel with sabots and scope give you good accuracy and increase in range.
Need more infor.
Old September 9, 2007, 05:24 PM   #3
Mainah

I hunt on 75 acres of pretty brushy land, I can't imagine many opportunities for a shot beyond 50 yards. I like the increased range and decreased length of the deer barrel.

I appreciate the heck out of muzzle loaders, and those who hunt with them. But to be honest I can't see investing in a new activity when I'm already involved in several that eat money.

I don't need a new barrel or a new rifle. But I'm wondering if I should invest more in the 870 to increase my range, or simply save a little for a rifle.
Old September 12, 2007, 11:38 PM   #4
jrothWA

Does your present shotgun..

have choke tubes? If sso, then consider one of the aftermarket rifles tube to use sabot to increase range and accuracy.
also get a receiver side-mounted scope mount and put a 1.5 to 3X scope on improve accuracy further.
That would consume most of the 170 you are looking at for a barrel.

With the acreage you own, I assume you can put up permament tree stands,
if so then a good rifle would be appropriate as you are shooting downward.
Used rifles would be a 350 -500 range. something about a .243 or 7mm bolt action w/ scope. Any of the Rem 700, 788, 742, Win 70, Ruger 77, etc.