The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2012, 06:09 AM   #1
rebs

die not fully ejecting the primer out of the case ?

I load 223 rounds using LC brass, when I size and deprime the die doesn't always fully eject the old primer. Si I have to pull the handle again to get the primer all the way out and remove the case from the shell holder. I have adjusted the depeiming rod all the way down and still have the same problem. What could I be doing wrong ?
Old November 9, 2012, 06:55 AM   #2
mehavey

The tip of the depriming pin is sticking in the primer anvil.

Take a file and blunt the pin a bit more so it literally won't "stick" into the relatively soft metal, and instead just push it out.
Old November 9, 2012, 06:58 AM   #3
rebs

Thank you I will definitely give that a try.
Old November 9, 2012, 08:14 AM   #4
Sport45

I agree, but I'd use a stone to blunt it. Unless you have a pretty fine file you stand a good chance of bending it.

How far past the mouth of the die is the decapping pin protruding?
Old November 9, 2012, 03:14 PM   #5
mehavey

Doesn't EVERYone have a set of jeweler's files in their gunbox?

Old November 9, 2012, 03:18 PM   #6
gwalchmai

I just opened up a new RCBS Universal Decapping Die last night and its instructions said to make sure the pin protruded at least 1/4" through the case when used. That should leave no room for error, I guess.
Old November 9, 2012, 05:31 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I just opened up a new RCBS Universal Decapping Die last night and its instructions said to make sure the pin protruded at least 1/4" through the case when used. That should leave no room for error, I guess.
I never follow instructions for decapping pin protrusion. I set it out just far enough for the primers to clear the case head, with maybe 1/16" more. I've had a few 'incidents' with cases that had extra thick webs, and bent the decapper/expander.

Rebs, the primers are probably sticking, because they're crimped and require extra force to push them out of the primer pocket. Blunting the tip of the pin may help, but it's no guarantee. Just be sure to clean up or remove the crimp. It'll make future primer seating and decapping much easier/smoother.
Old November 9, 2012, 07:09 PM   #8
3kgt2nv

wondering if the issue is you are not removing the primer crimp properly and are having to push them out with the rod.
Old November 9, 2012, 07:46 PM   #9
moxie

Rebs,

Be sure to check that the decapping pin extends ~3/16" from the end of the die. More than that and you'll have problems, including breaking the pin.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old November 9, 2012, 08:18 PM   #10
Sport45

Quote:
wondering if the issue is you are not removing the primer crimp properly and are having to push them out with the rod.
How would he remove the crimp before removing the primer?
Old November 10, 2012, 07:25 AM   #11
rebs

My problem is with 223 LC cases that I have removed the crimp. I have tried adjusting the de priming rod all the way to where the pin is way past the case. I am going to try filing the pin flat and see if that takes care of it. If not then I'll look into if I have the crimp removed completely. I have used two methods to remove the crimp, one is with a deburring tool and the other is with an RCBS pocket primer swager. I doubt it is a swager problem since I have had this primer problem before I used the swage on cases that I had used the deburring tool on.
Old November 10, 2012, 08:09 AM   #12
Sport45

With a case in the shell holder and the shell holder pressing against the die at the top of the stroke, lower the decapping rod until it is setting on the case web. Raise the decapping rod about 1/16" ( .065" to .075") and lock it in place.

That should leave it protruding enough to work and allow room for thick webbed brass.
Old November 10, 2012, 09:21 AM   #13
BPowderkeg

Quote:
I am going to try filing the pin flat

most decaping pins are hardened steel, a file won't touch them, you will need to use a carborundum stone.
Old November 10, 2012, 04:06 PM   #14
3kgt2nv

Quote:
How would he remove the crimp before removing the primer?
im an idiot i deleted most of my post. I hate posting from my phone. I usually use a lee universal decapping since its a much stouter design than the rcbs and then i use a dillion swagging tool to properly remove the crimp.