The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 7, 2000, 07:06 PM   #1
huntschool

Harley:

I recently saw an ammo order form which listed a 300 Imperial and I think one or two other "Imperial" rounds.

Help...I thought I knew a bunch of stuff but I have never heard of these. Can you give me history or perhaps a URL

Thanks

Huntschool
"single hot shooters only shoot once"
Old March 7, 2000, 10:00 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

HUNTSCHOOL:
I am in the same boat you are. I don't have it in my cartridge file nor in my memory. Sorry.

HJN
Old March 8, 2000, 01:47 AM   #3
Daniel Watters

The Imperial cartridges were part of the current non-belted Magnum trend. I believe that the loaded ammo was coming from Canada, but the rifles were being made in the US. If I do some more digging, I should be able to find some additional info.
Old March 8, 2000, 10:29 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

As I recall, the Imperial line was a line of proprietary cartridges much the same as the Dakota line of cartridges. I don't have the book handy but Cartridges of the World would probably have some info on them.
Old March 8, 2000, 01:33 PM   #5
huntschool

Hey ya all...

Thanks for the looking...if anyone turns some specific info please post or email me.

I have been looking at the Dakota line of cartridges but would like something in "270" that is available through at least a custom loading house. Want to build a real sporty rifle in the traditional style on an 1885 or Ruger #1 action.

thanks

Huntschool
"single shot shooters only shoot once"

[This message has been edited by huntschool (edited March 08, 2000).]
Old March 8, 2000, 02:46 PM   #6
Daniel Watters

In Cartridges of the World, 8th Ed, there is no listing for the Imperials; however, there is a listing for the 'Canadian Magnum' proprietary cartridges. I suspect this is just the earlier name for the same cartridge family, and even the editor notes the similarity. The Canadian Magnums share the same body diameter as the Dakota cartridges, but have rebated rims and longer bodies.