The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 3, 2007, 08:58 AM   #1
rem33

front sight heigth

I have a Remington 512 that shoots 2 inches high at 25 yards with the rear sight at the lowest setting. How many thousands higher of a front sight should I buy to correct this? Or at least get close, a tad to high and I can raise the rear a bit.

It is a nice older rifle we picked up at a gun show that has a nice reblue job. I did a good lindseed/tung oil finish on the stock and she came out nice, good or better than new. no idea why is shoots high unless the heat of the bluing ( which I doubt) had something to do with it, or this is not the original front sight.

I rebarreled a old Winchester 67 and it shot considerable high after and the guys said all re barrels do that. New sight and it shoots like a new gun.

Last edited by rem33; April 3, 2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old April 3, 2007, 09:11 AM   #2
5whiskey

What do you want the zero to be, 25?

Without turning a simple question complicated... I don't know. I do have some form of help, however. Some of the ammunition makers have downloadable ballistic programs that cover darn near everything, including trajectories and sighting information. I have federal and I'll play on that thing for a bit and see if I can find anything to help out. I'm not sure if it will cover the line of sight angle or not, but I will try. What's the sight radius?
Old April 3, 2007, 09:16 AM   #3
5whiskey

One more thing...

ballistic programs, or most of them, are free downloads. Most of them only cover the factory ammo that the program supplier makes, though there are some out there (mostly for sale) for reloaders. These would definatly help with your problem, most likely if the federal download can't, but even the free factory downloads has alot of helpful info...
Old April 3, 2007, 10:05 AM   #4
rem33

Quote:
What do you want the zero to be, 25?
Hey Thanks Wheeler, but I kinda think you have misunderstood.
I can't move the rear sight low enough to get the bullet to hit on the bulls eye. I just want the gun to hit where I aim.
To lower a point of impact you lower the rear sight. I can put the rear sight as low as it will go and the gun still shoots high, so I need a higher front sight.
How much higher is the problem.
I am guessing about 20 thousands but at $13.50 for nice gold bead sight it would be nice to be right the first time.

To sight in a firearm, with iron sights, you move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go and the front the opposite.
Old April 3, 2007, 12:35 PM   #5
tINY

Do you remember trigonometry from school (or at least ratios)?

You need to move the sight line 2-4 inches at 25 yards?

That's 25x36= 900 inches. So measure the distance between the sights and figure it out.

3 / 900 = (front sight height difference) / (distance between the sights)

-tINY

Old April 3, 2007, 12:36 PM   #6
Scorch

I am assuming you have about 24" sight radius (2 feet), and you want to hit 2" lower at 25 yds (75 feet). So you answer is 2/75ths of an inch X 2, or .054" higher sight for the front. Since it may be hard to find a .054" higher sight blade, try buying a 1/16" (.063") higher blade.
Old April 3, 2007, 02:06 PM   #7
rem33

Thanks guys.

I had gone to the local shop yesterday with the sight still in the gun( duh) he measured as best he could told me I needed a .030 higher sight as that would shoot 30 inches higher at 100 yards.
Sold me a sight but last night when I removed the old sight and measured the new one was only .006 higher than the old. Ah oh, I knew that would not do it and ask here. As in most cases my ignorance shows but I know where some knowledgeable fellas hang out. Thanks again.