The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 2, 2012, 04:39 PM   #1
smayberry

Savage 10 fcs-k

I am having a hard time reloading for this rifle. Does it have a "Palma" chamber or what? Empty cases with bullets run into the lands at book reloading length and extract with no problem. I have to load a SMK 175 at 2.700, a SMK 165 at 2.750, same for a 155. A-max 168 and 155 at 2.775 and extraction for all of the above is difficult. Short throat or what? I need help.

All reloads tried so far shoot .75 to 1.25 MOA. I know the rifle can do better.

Any help would be appreciated, Stu
Old November 13, 2012, 11:30 PM   #2
davery25

did you figure out this problem?
Old November 14, 2012, 09:23 PM   #3
Rimfire5

Sorry to hear you are having a problem with your Savage.

I have a Savage 10FP (hidden mag) and one of my buddies has a 10 FCP (detachable mag) and my son and another buddy have 10 FCP-K with the detachable mag and the muzzle brake.

All these rifles chambers will easily take a 2.820 168 SMK and the nominal specs for them are 2.800.
I load Noslers out at 2.830 in mine without a problem and I am still more than 0.050 off the rifling. The only limit on seating depth with the mag fed models is the internal length of the magazine. My hidden mag is actually a bit longer than the detachable versions.

If you still haven't gotten to the bottom of your problem, I would call Savage and talk to them.
It sounds like they might have set the barrel a turn too deep into the receiver.
It doesn't take much to eat up 0.1 inches or more in final seating. Your chamber seems to be less than 0.1 inch from what I would have expected it to be, but it also seems like it is more shallow than it should be.

Savage has a really responsive customer service group.
My buddy with the new 10 FCP-K was having trouble with the scope mounting screws. His scopes were way off to the right (8 inches at 25 yards).
After trying two different scopes and three sets of mounts, he called Savage and they had him sent it back to them. They tested it and sent him a new rifle because they could see it wasn't right. Because it would have taken quite a while to refit it, they just gave him a new one and took his rifle through the quality control process to see if the misaligned mounting holes might have resulted from a manufacturing problem.
Old November 14, 2012, 09:52 PM   #4
ricklaut

+1 for contacting Savage. I have a 10 FCP-K in .308 and seat to 2.823 with 175 SMKs.
Old November 15, 2012, 11:25 AM   #5
hounddawg

I bought one of these, worth it's weight in gold if you use more than 1 bullet per caliber

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-...Curved-1-Each/

BTW you can get these for around 30 bucks from retail outlets

there are other methods of doing the same thing, size a case whose neck was split using a hacksaw or dremel then slip the bullet in and chamber it and accomplish the same thing. http://www.larrywillis.com/OAL.html

Edit: see forum policy on positing copyrighted materials; needs express permission from the source. If you get that permission please say so in caption or introduction.

Last edited by Unclenick; November 16, 2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old November 16, 2012, 04:28 AM   #6
thump_rrr

My 10BA will touch the rifling at 2.810 using 180 gr SMK's.
If the store you purchased it from has a gunsmith maybe he has a set of go no go gauges to check if your chamber is within spec.
Otherwise call for an RMA number.