The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 13, 2014, 01:40 PM   #1
blfuller

Arbor set screw size?

Planning on putting a set screw in my arbor on my Uberti 2nd Dragoon and I was wondering what size of thread is recommended. Thanks.
Old September 13, 2014, 05:50 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

Just curious . . . why?

If your talking about your cylinder arbor . . . is this not supported on one end in the recoil shield and on the other end by the barrel? Just curious as to why you feel it needs to be done?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 13, 2014, 07:27 PM   #3
Hawg

Probably to correct a short arbor.
Old September 13, 2014, 09:37 PM   #4
45 Dragoon

I assume you will be using it as a front bearing surface for the wedge ( so you will have an adjustable wedge key way)? I use a 1/4 inch 28 thread set screw for Walkers /Dragoons.
Old September 13, 2014, 10:00 PM   #5
45 Dragoon

As a side note:
I have heard of folks loosing the end of the arbor after doing this type of thing. The reason is because of the arbor being too short (as Mr. Hawg mentioned). You see, this is something you would do to enhance a short arbor fix.
If there is room at the end of the arbor hole for the arbor to stretch, it will. Even to the point of breaking. If the short arbor has been taken care of ( now dead ends into the end of the hole), the arbor has nowhere to stretch to, allowing this adjustability for the wedge.
I post often about this very set up but it is in conjunction with the arbor fix. Once the set up is done, the vibration travels through the revolver as a whole. If a space were still available in the arbor hole, it would interrupt the transfer and that's when bad things happen with open tops.
Old September 15, 2014, 07:30 AM   #6
blfuller

Quote:
Just curious . . . why?

If your talking about your cylinder arbor . . . is this not supported on one end in the recoil shield and on the other end by the barrel? Just curious as to why you feel it needs to be done?
To correct the short arbor as Hawg mentions.
Old September 15, 2014, 09:53 AM   #7
45 Dragoon

It would be best to shim it with metal shims. Im not sure a set screw is the best way to go.. Are you closing the gap? It may require removing some material from the barrel/frame area ( to keep it square).

Last edited by 45 Dragoon; September 15, 2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old September 17, 2014, 07:48 AM   #8
blfuller

Quote:
It would be best to shim it with metal shims. Im not sure a set screw is the best way to go.. Are you closing the gap? It may require removing some material from the barrel/frame area ( to keep it square).
Care to elaborate on shim placement?
Old September 17, 2014, 05:13 PM   #9
45 Dragoon

I use steel washers of appropriate size and thickness. I use steel to fill in the arbor hole and use set screws in the arbor to keep the wedge keyway the correct size. It would be easier to explain on the phone. I will pm you my number and you can call if you like.

Mike (the goon)
goonsgunworks.com

Last edited by 45 Dragoon; September 19, 2014 at 08:16 PM.