The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 13, 2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Mark Miles

Mystery Double Barrel

I am wanting to identitfy an old double barrel my grandfather purchased in the 1920's. It has not been seen since the late 1930's, but my father can remember a few things about it. It was hammerless, had auto ejectors, 32" full/mod barrels, engraved with ducks or pheasants, and 2 triggers. I do have a photo of the bottom of the gun while it was leaning against a tree. Another photo shows a leg-o-mutton case. He lived in southern Illinois and probably nevered traveled outside of this area. My Father also said there was no brand name on it, but the barrels said Krupp. I tried to attach the photo, but i'm not sure it will up load. If you have any ideas I would greatly appriciate the help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg double 2.jpg (166.1 KB, 139 views)
Old December 13, 2009, 01:08 PM   #2
the rifleer

i dont know much about old double barrel shoguns, but i can tell you it will be very difficult for anyone to identify it with the given picture. try to take pictures of any stamps or markings as well as a good photo of the overall gun. that would be best.
Old December 13, 2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Grof

I am guessing if it said Krupp could be German made
Old December 13, 2009, 01:39 PM   #4
oneounceload

If it said Krupp, then we can assume that at least the BARRELS are German-made. Krupp made barrel blanks for many firms, both foreign and domestic. It could easily have been one brought from overseas.
Old December 15, 2009, 08:13 AM   #5
twice barrel

I agree with oneounce. However, the features you list would make it a better than average offering for the day.

TB
Old June 11, 2011, 02:08 AM   #6
jtmoyles

Old double

I have a book called Arms of the World-1911. If you can get a copy you may be able to find it in there. I also have a reproduction copy of 1940 Shooters Bible. If you can find a copy of it you may be able to identify it also. Try the referance section of your local library and ask the referance librarian to try to find you a copy. They may be able to buy or borrow a copy from somewhere in their system. There were many shotguns that came from Europe that didn't have a manufacturer's name on them because they were custom made.

Last edited by jtmoyles; June 11, 2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: not clear