The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 11, 2012, 08:23 PM   #1
adhollow46

James River 1903A3 Competition

I bought a James River Competition 1903A3. Was going to buy a M1 Garand to.
The 1903A3 looked great. It would not shoot single shot from the magazine. If you loaded five rounds. The first four worked fine. The fifth locked up action. I had emailed them telling of problem. They said I needed to inlet stock. He said it worked fine during test fire. That is BS.
There was a 1/8 gap between the receiver and magazine well. Follower was locking into said gap not letting round come up to be pushed into chamber. It took me two full days of cutting out wood to remove the gap. I had taken action out of stock and put it together to see how far the longest bolt need to go , so I would not cut out too much wood. It works fine now, but the trigger housing is now 7/16 below stock. Not happy at all with the half a## work done on the rifle. James River never answered my last email about I was going to have to cut out so much wood. I got the opinion that it was my problem. I took care of it and they will not get anymore of my money!
Old September 13, 2012, 06:30 AM   #2
Mobuck

Obviously an inletting problem with the aftermarket stocks the refurb place is using. Your only recourse is to whittle/rasp/sand the stock down to meet the metal. A thin piece of soft wood cut to fit the gap between action and magazine metal would maybe have served the purpose.
I've seen this company's ad in SGN or someplace but now I'll know not to look there.
Old September 13, 2012, 09:10 PM   #3
griff383

Thanks for the heads up, I might be in the market for an 03A3 and will definitely cross them off my list. Customer service is very important to me and companies that take care of me get my money