The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 15, 2011, 06:01 AM   #26
Hawg

Bill the ROA and brass frames are allowed because they're traditionally styled guns, which I think I already stated. We're not a hard line thread counting forum.We just want to keep a historical aspect to it. As to your ideas we'll discuss it and get back to you.
Old September 15, 2011, 08:49 AM   #27
wogpotter

Awww Jeeez, here we go again..........

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old September 15, 2011, 09:38 AM   #28
Hawg

Whacha talkin bout wog?
Old September 15, 2011, 10:40 AM   #29
wogpotter

The brass/ROA discussion.
I guess it should be listed a bit like SASS as in "Designed before the cutoff date, &/or a copy/reproduction of a design originally made before the cutoff date, or a modern replication of it!" Wow, that's a mouthful.

Old September 15, 2011, 10:53 AM   #30
Fingers McGee

Thanks for the jpeg steve.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 15, 2011, 11:12 AM   #31
Hawg

Well Wog, you know I'm not fond of unoriginal brass frames or ROA's but like I said we're not a hard line thread counting reenactors forum. We're trying to give the bp community something they don't have a lot of. A place to talk about their traditinal guns in a more structured setting with a more laid back atmosphere. Whether I like it or not brass frames and ROA's are part of that community. There won't be any animosity shown towards these guns, maybe some light hearted teasing Come check it out for yourself, see what we're about.
Old September 15, 2011, 12:40 PM   #32
orangello

Seems nice so far.
Old September 15, 2011, 04:03 PM   #33
wogpotter

That's good to know.
I was more concerned with it becoming a place to argue loudly about what is acceptable, rather than picking on you.
I have modern repro, not brass, but there could be an argument that gets silly & it becomes another of those forums (forae???) where they exclusive themselves out of existence.

Old September 16, 2011, 08:07 AM   #34
W. C. Quantrill

What Hawg is sayin is, if you can document that an original was made before the year 1900, and used black powder, and you have one or an accurate replica of one, then bring it on. Actually, I think that there was an early design of percussion rifle made in the 1840's or 1850's that was in fact, an inline, it had a center hammer with the percussion nipple on the back of the breechplug. There is a patent that was issued for it, however only a dozen or so were made. Colin Stoltzer or Mike Lange built one from the patent drawings and found out why it was not successful. The blow back from the nipple hit the shooter right in the face, so it doesnt take long to discuss that.

Actually there was a great lot of really neat designs in the last half of the 1800's. A lot of them havent had a lot of ink time, so this new forum is to discover as much of that as we can and learn from it, as well as history of the westward expansion of the US. I lived on the Santa Fe Trail for 20 years, that era interests me. Some like the earlier stuff. Its all a part of us.

We particularly enjoy stories and pictures of building projects, so if you are building rifles, or pistols or guns or cannons, that will be very popular threads.

In research, failure is just as important as success. That prevents someone else from making the same expensive mistakes. Starting in the 1960's, there was a flood of replica rifles hit the market. They were almost all called a "Hawken". The funny thing is, that the mother of that tribe was listed in the 1875 Tryon catalog as the Tryon Indian Trade Rifle--half stock, brass trim, single key, and a patch box in the stock. Trivia is good.

If you have something really neat and original, or have a copy of an original, then bring it on. Arguing for the sake of arguing kills threads. There will be some gals in the forum and possibly kids of the forum members, so the only rule that really stands out is that. Keep it family oriented.

So, Bill, I say, build one of those Browning designs, do a tutorial on it, and a You Tube of you firing it, and by golly, we will make you your own forum for that. Hows that?
Old September 18, 2011, 12:32 AM   #35
Bill Akins

Quote:
W.C. Quantrill wrote:
So, Bill, I say, build one of those Browning designs, do a tutorial on it, and a You Tube of you firing it, and by golly, we will make you your own forum for that. Hows that?
Sounds great W.C. I'd like to accomplish that.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old September 18, 2011, 08:27 AM   #36
oilcan72

Hey everyone,

I suggest joining the new site so far there is a lot of good info but not a lot of topics yet. It seems like there is new discussions everyday, I'm trying to get the camera working so I can post pics of my toys.

oilcan72
Old September 22, 2011, 11:49 PM   #37
Hardy

Just to keep thread going. I got something I need a little advice on. I hope Fingers and Hawg read this. 2+ years ago I bought an orignal 49 pocket and an original 1862 38conversion police from an antique dealer in GA. I could not sell them quickly in store and called him back to see if he could sell them (now remember i paid cash for them He answered that he had buyers and to send them to him. Out of trust I did and he traded those guns and gave me a 50 dollar gift. I told him nicely many times that i just wanted to get back my $1500 dollar investment, He said times are hard and he would try. I was nice. But he said he got caught up in trades and was trying to figure out to disburse funds. But when July came around I had a lawyer(didn't want to) send him a 30 day letter and saying he was in breach of contract. He never responded. Would you go after him? I never knew that the older you get that you get too much on your plate. I never did anyone one on this thread or anybody either that wanted something from me that I couldn't deliver THIS IS HE
James W King/ Antique Guns/ Albany ,GA

Any advise? Or was I fool posting this. I don't think so
WBH
Old September 23, 2011, 12:23 AM   #38
kwhi43

So pistols like this that are around 170 years old are taboo but Ruger's OK.?
This is a Belgium copy. There are several models of this.OK, I understand
Old September 23, 2011, 01:27 AM   #39
DG45

I understand why you'd want to limit the scope of the new forum to the 95% who are interested in traditional BP guns, and I'd include Rugers in that, but I wouldn't try to muzzle anybody or turn anybody away who wanted to express himself in a civil way. What I would do though, is to set up a "Looney Toons" category, actually I'd probably call it "Miscellaneous" although I'd think of it as "Looney Toons", and I'd allow the moderator of the forum the latitude to determine whether someones thread starter about a semi-auto black powder laser gun should be in the "Loony Toons" category or in one of the traditional categories.
Old September 23, 2011, 04:17 AM   #40
Hawg

kwhi, due to it's age it would probably be allowed. What I'm keeping out are the modern inlines unless somebody posts one and we get a lot of flack for allowing it and not new ones. You have to admit those are not the norm for muzzleloading.
Old September 23, 2011, 04:25 AM   #41
Hawg

DG45 it's a forum for traditionalists. There's plenty of places to talk about inlines. Some of our members do have inlines but they also have traditional guns. There's not many forums dedicated to traditional firearms. Ours is. I personally wouldn't own a Ruger Old Army but it is a traditional design is the reason it's allowed. Our forum may not be for everybody, we don't expect it to be. Not allowing inlines may cost us some members we could otherwise have but I think it's a better forum for it. It is what it is and it will sink or swim on it's own merits.
Old September 23, 2011, 04:28 AM   #42
Doc Hoy

Just finished...

...completing the registration.

I am going to give it a try.

But I must confess that I had to drop to one online forum because of the time involved. I was routinely reading and posting on two and then stopped visiting one of the sites resticting me activity to this forum.

I thought my job (just changed jobs) would afford me a little more time. Silly me.
Old September 23, 2011, 04:35 AM   #43
Hawg

Welcome aboard Doc. Your registration was approved before I could even get back in there.