The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 30, 2016, 12:49 PM   #26
jimbob86

The one with the best and most established track record for long term storage of firearms is cosmoline ..... just sayin' ....
Old October 1, 2016, 05:57 AM   #27
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Barricade
Old October 1, 2016, 06:01 AM   #28
fourbore

Quote:
It still leaves me with some questions. My guns are stored outside in a hot garage (Houston). It is not ideal but I literally have no other choice. I run several dehumidifiers in the safe and keep the RH at 30-40% year round. The safe obviously gets rather hot for a good portion of year.

The optimum RH for gun storage is 50%. Museums like NRA are setting the RH to 50%.

I have used RIG in a very humid environment with 100% satisfaction and this was a situation where I had mold growing on the wood. Obviously that was more like 90% humidity not 50. I dont get the comments on cost. A small jar of rig will last you years and years and fits neatly in a gun kit tool box. Penny foolish.

While I am satisfied with RIG another excellent option is Renaissance wax that can be applied to both wood and steel. Again, the NRA museum used this product. Google to read more. Top of the line treatment. I have started using this, not enough years passed to say any more. This stuff seems expensive but a small containers looks like it will also last for years.

If you want to experiment you could try LPS III. It is a synthetic wax and has done an excellent job of long term protection on machinery and should be safe on the wood. This 'should' be more pleasant and easy to clean off, equivalent of cosmoline for deep storage. I prefer to stick with one of the two proven products (RIG, R Wax) or just oil the metal for short term.

Last edited by fourbore; October 1, 2016 at 06:47 AM.
Old October 1, 2016, 06:32 AM   #29
fourbore

I am posting again on wood. The wood is less understood and often left unprotected.

FIRST: No oil, No grease and NO SILICON. Google silicon if you like. Or take my word for it. My mildew problem on the stock was due to grease and oil on the wood.

The 50% RH is due to the wood content of firearms. If your guns have no wood (synthetic) then 30% is fine.

The wood will benefit from waxing and renaissance is the gold standard. Waxing a new gun is a good idea to add a layer of protection over the finish. New finishes are pretty good, but; more is better IMHO. Wax is also excellent (best in fact) for metal so that is a big stroke of luck.

Do not apply wax over a dirty, human oil, or gun oily stock. Clean that all off first.