The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 27, 2015, 09:49 AM   #51
sirgilligan

Well if he gets the SCAR 16 tell your friend to make sure he uses STANAG magazines.
I have been told that D&H mags are the same as the FN mag that comes with it.
If you use P-MAGS they have to be the right generation/version, if not the bolt catch
can not correctly go down far enough and therefore the bolt catch will come in
contact with the bolt face and there will be dings on the bolt lugs. If anyone ever
buys a used SCAR 16 make sure you pull the bolt carrier group (BCG) and look at the
bolt lugs.

This is what the bolt should look like:

Here is the bolt catch, notice the notch in the magazine where you can see the back
of the follower, that is the area that has to be correct.

Last edited by sirgilligan; March 27, 2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old March 27, 2015, 09:53 AM   #52
sirgilligan

And here are some images I made during the Olympics when someone was trying to decide which to get:

Old March 27, 2015, 05:10 PM   #53
HKFan9

I just can't wrap my head around the XCR, and I think its why it basically gets brushed aside by the SCAR and most other guns.

Even if you look at their website, their claims are either purely fictional opinion, and not any different from virtually any other rifle on the market.

Taken from their website:

Quote:
Reliability

Designed specifically for the most demanding military, law enforcement, and recreational users, the XCR-L offers a level of reliability offered by few other rifles.

XCR-L incorporates heavy duty components such as a sturdy oprod, a beefy three-lug bolt, a locking extractor, and a fixed ejector. These elements and others ensure reliable performance with minimal maintenance.

So they designed for... everyone who uses firearms... and it uses an op-rod like any other piston system, and it generally runs reliable under adverse conditions.... Sound familiar?

Quote:
Ergonomics

The XCR-L is the most ergonomic rifle available anywhere. Professoinal users report that the XCR has the fastest magazine change and clearing times of any rifle.

Whether the rifle is supported by the right or left hand, the operator can manipulate all the controls while keeping his eyes on target and index finger near the trigger.

Our new Fully Adjustable Stock not only folds but is adjustable for length and height ensuring unparalleled shooting comfort.
Most ergonomic ANYWHERE, thats really somthing Bob! "Professional users report.... WHAT PROFESSIONAL USERS.... fast mag changes ever.... are you sure they watched Travis Haley's dynamic mag change DVD box set??

Right hand.. left hand.. eyes.... its Ambi... again... sound familiar?

Quote:
Configurable

Many rifles claim to be modular weapon systems just because they have a 1913 standard rail system used to attach accessories. The XCR-L is truly modular.

With one XCR-L Lower Receiver (the serialized part), the operator can configure the XCR as a shorty for close quarters combat, a light weight carbine, or a longer marksman's rifle.

The XCR-L's quick change barrel system is unmatched in terms of ease of use and repeatability. Barrel and caliber changes can be made in less than 5 minutes.

What?! you say you can change from a carbine, to a rifle, to a PDW, to a toaster oven??? My Ar-15 cant do tha..... wait a minute Bob... IT CAN!

I can change the barrel in under what.... 5 minutes... im sorry... what? 5 minutes is THAT ALL!?. Not even changing an upper I can take a standard AR and swap a barrel in 5 mins. I am sure the bad guys will give you 5 minutes to swap your barrel.... oh wait thats right... that feature only really matters when you are on base or at home, or standing by your car during competition where time really aint all that important.

Quote:
Armorers who are familiar with the XCR-L find it the easiest rifle to inspect, maintain, and service resulting in lower overall maintenance costs

The true beauty of the XCR-L is the simplicity of design and durability of its parts.
Again... WHAT ARMORERS.... they MUST be talking about their warranty repair guys.

NOW, most companies do this.... and really everything is always the same the same the same. As I said, buy whichever you'd like they all preform the same functions.
Old March 27, 2015, 11:05 PM   #54
Justice06RR

Money is no object eh?? Must be nice..

In that case, the top 2 rifles I recommend are

1. SCAR16 - if he wants different looking rifle (non-AR). Very lightweight and reliable.

2. HK 416 (MR556)

I'm sure there are plenty other options out there, but it will boil down to what he likes in the end.
Old March 27, 2015, 11:52 PM   #55
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice06RR View Post
Money is no object eh?? Must be nice..

In that case, the top 2 rifles I recommend are

1. SCAR16 - if he wants different looking rifle (non-AR). Very lightweight and reliable.

2. HK 416 (MR556)

I'm sure there are plenty other options out there, but it will boil down to what he likes in the end.

Yea. It must be. Like I said. Doctor and doctor wife. They aren't making bank JUST yet, but projected income between the 2 is ONLY $800,000
Old March 28, 2015, 12:52 AM   #56
Justice06RR

Lucky bastards... lol.

In that case, why not just step it up to the SCAR17, throw a suppressor on there, and a Trijicon optic. I'm sure ammo won't be a problem. Have him handle a SCAR17 at a gun shop and see what he thinks.
When I held one at a LGS it felt so lightweight for a 308 rifle it almost felt like an air gun.
Old March 28, 2015, 01:25 AM   #57
Theohazard

I know this is off-topic a bit, but with all this talk of doctors making tons of money, I feel I should clear a few things up. Doctors eventually make good money, but it takes a huge amount of work and a lot of years until they do.

My wife is a doctor. A surgeon to be exact. She has both an MD and a master's degree in public health. She went through 4 years of college, 1 1/2 years of post-baccalaureate (she wasn't pre-med in college), then 4 years of medical school. She racked up $250,000 in student loan debt during that time. Now that she has her MD, she's in her third year of a five-year surgical residency program. Doctors in her residency start at $45,000 a year in their first year, and end up at $55,000 in their fifth year.

My wife's salary is based on a 40-hour work week, but she ends up working 80+ hours a week. She's usually on call 24/7 and often gets only two full days off a month. She just finished a stretch of almost 60 days where she didn't get a full day off.

We recently did the math and realized that if she quit her job and worked the same number of hours making minimum wage at McDonald's, she'd make more money. And yet I constantly have to hear people ask me, "Why do you have to work, your wife is a doctor, aren't you rich?" It gets tiring.
Old March 28, 2015, 09:16 AM   #58
jackmoser65

Quote:
Lucky bastards...
Do you really think that luck has anything to do with it???

Quote:
And yet I constantly have to hear people ask me, "Why do you have to work, your wife is a doctor, aren't you rich?" It gets tiring.
I can imagine. People who don't know any better obviously equate being a doctor to winning the lottery. As if the effort expended and result were the same.
Old March 28, 2015, 10:03 AM   #59
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmoser65 View Post
Do you really think that luck has anything to do with it???

I can imagine. People who don't know any better obviously equate being a doctor to winning the lottery. As if the effort expended and result were the same.

Maybe a little luck. Depends on the person. I was roommates with the guy in college. He skipped 98% of a class and made a 98. Yea. That's luck...having a class that you can skip that much

But no. I know. It takes hard work and dedication. He is an intelligent guy who already makes plenty of money.
Old March 28, 2015, 11:05 AM   #60
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewall50
Maybe a little luck. Depends on the person. I was roommates with the guy in college. He skipped 98% of a class and made a 98. Yea. That's luck...having a class that you can skip that much
I can promise you he didn't do that in medical school. After college, it took your friend at least 7 years of extremely long hours and very hard work until he started making decent money. And for many doctors it's upwards of 10 years. And the really good money usually doesn't start until well after that.

Last edited by Theohazard; March 28, 2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old March 28, 2015, 11:45 AM   #61
Moomooboo

Was it a 101 class or upper division? My bet is on 101 which isnt uncommon as you simply need to read the textbook
Old March 28, 2015, 02:25 PM   #62
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomooboo View Post
Was it a 101 class or upper division? My bet is on 101 which isnt uncommon as you simply need to read the textbook

Senior level immunology. He got offers from Georgetown for med school.
Old March 28, 2015, 02:34 PM   #63
Moomooboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
Senior level immunology. He got offers from Georgetown for med school.
Slightly hard to believe as they usually take attendance in upper division. But maybe they didnt in that class. Just all depends on professor, some taught straight from book others added in only atuff from lectures. Either way im sure he was talented.
Old March 28, 2015, 06:32 PM   #64
ttarp

Money no object and a range toy, the HK93 might fit the bill as something a little different.
Old March 28, 2015, 10:16 PM   #65
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomooboo View Post
Slightly hard to believe as they usually take attendance in upper division. But maybe they didnt in that class. Just all depends on professor, some taught straight from book others added in only atuff from lectures. Either way im sure he was talented.

Online lectures. It was a huge class lol.
Old March 29, 2015, 04:14 AM   #66
Moomooboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
Online lectures. It was a huge class lol.
: / I dont think upper division science classes at good schools are much larger than 40 or 50. Atleast ive never heard of any, all mine were smaller thab 30 as most had labs associated with it. I know lower division is packed in big schools but upper division usually has a good ratio. Are you sure you named the right class?
Old March 30, 2015, 09:26 AM   #67
Loronzo

HK 93. They make clones in the 600-1200 range but with his kind of income he could get the real deal. Very reliable, pretty accurate, and defantly unique.

Last edited by Loronzo; April 2, 2015 at 11:24 PM.
Old March 31, 2015, 09:40 AM   #68
Willie Lowman

Reliable? Expensive?

Get a Galil.
Old March 31, 2015, 07:00 PM   #69
juntau

AK?

In the AK category, have you checked out Molot Vepr Pioneer with 20 inch barrel? Molot Vepr’s are known for being one of best AK style rifles in the world for accuracy and reliability.
Old March 31, 2015, 08:31 PM   #70
Tucker 1371

If I had oodles of money I'd be looking into NFA items. Probably an M16 lower and a piston upper. Can an MR556 upper be bought by itself?

If he hadn't specified 5.56 then I would say a 7.62 belt fed
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old March 31, 2015, 09:34 PM   #71
HKFan9

Tucker,

You can buy a HK MR556 upper by itself... however you need to keep in mind which parts you use in your lower, some hammers won't work with the HK upper due to a rounded shoulder on the hammer face, needs to be a squared face.

They work pretty well, I fired one we did for a customer on an Aero Percision lower.

Downside is the upper kit is like $2000 + so at that right, I'd probably just buy the whole rifle.

Last edited by HKFan9; March 31, 2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old April 1, 2015, 09:56 AM   #72
doofus47

$ no object?

Valmet, Daewoo, Galil
Old April 1, 2015, 07:28 PM   #73
Jo6pak

If money is no object. Go to a range that has a huge variety of rifles and SHOOT THEM ALL.
Then pick the one that puts the biggest smile on his face.

This thread can go on for 100 pages and not accomplish anything that a day at the rental range can.
Old April 2, 2015, 11:02 AM   #74
SR420

Quote:
doofus47 Valmet, Daewoo, Galil
All three are excellent suggestions.
Old April 2, 2015, 11:55 PM   #75
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo6pak View Post
If money is no object. Go to a range that has a huge variety of rifles and SHOOT THEM ALL.

Then pick the one that puts the biggest smile on his face.

This thread can go on for 100 pages and not accomplish anything that a day at the rental range can.

We are limited. Our range rents out plenty of handguns. And ARs. Yep. I guess ARs are the only .223 on the market lol. But seriously...he already owns one and wants something new.

I talked to him about nfa...he wants an mp5. But that is later.