The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 3, 2013, 12:28 AM   #1
Pops1085

Need advice on finishing first AR build

Hey I was wondering if some more experienced individuals could give me some advice here. I have an AR that I have been slowly accessorizing and have gone back and forth with so many fun but useless accessories but I figure now it's time to really figure out my optics situation. I only plan on shooting out to a maximum of 300 yards and I really do enjoy shooting irons and want a setup where I could still switch to those out at the range. I have a beat up old leapers 22 scope that I just threw on some high rings but when I tried to mount it with my Magpul Mbus rear sight on the flat top it wouldn't work. I don't want to sacrifice the rear sights but I don't want a red dot or something that I could probably leave on and kill the battery. How have you guys set up your scopes and how would you recommend a college student on a budget set up his.
Ps. I have the fixed front A2 sight and am probably gonna keep it so I have to figure out a way around that too.

Last edited by Pops1085; January 3, 2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old January 3, 2013, 01:36 AM   #2
Metal god

I had that same issue when I mounted a scope to one of my flat tops . What I had to do was adjust and remount the rings and scope . I had to put the back ring all the way up against the turrets . That gave me just enough room to put my flip up sight under my scope between the back ring and the eye piece of the scope . It's tight but it worked . I did not take pictures when it was set up like that and have taken the scope off since . The sight would fit under the scope between the rings as well but would have shortened the sight radius and changed the sight picture as well .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 4, 2013, 11:13 PM   #3
raimius

Well, if you go with an Aimpoint, you'll probably have at least a year or two of battery life, even if you do leave it on permanently.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:45 PM   #4
Marquezj16

I used some Leupold Rifleman Extra High See through rings to mount a 3-9x scope on my M&P 15-22. The MBUS fits under the scope. Of course if I wanted to use the iron sight, I have to take off the scope.

I also have a set up using a Nikon M-223 1-4x mopunted on a Nikon one-piece mount. My Troy sight fits under the scope. Same thing of taking off the scope to be able to use the iron sights.

Thinking of gettting a quick discopnnect scope mount like the Burris PEPR for another AR to see if that will work better.

Tags
accessories , ar-15 , ar-15 optic , optics