The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2009, 09:53 AM   #1
fhwiggins

Primer Crimping

Since Military Spec. 5.56 primers are crimped, I'm thinking that this is due to the increased pressure and the crimping is designed to prevent the primer from backing out. My question is that if I am trying to reload as close to the military specs as I can, should I be crimping the primers. If so, where would I find a primer crimper and where could I obtain information regarding military specs for 5.56.
Old July 21, 2009, 10:13 AM   #2
ilbob

Nothing to do with pressure.

It is to prevent the primer from backing out and jamming.

I think it is mostly an anachronism these days as the tolerances on the primer pocket are quite adequate to keep the primer in place. But once something gets into a mil spec, it is all but impossible to get it out.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old July 21, 2009, 10:56 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

It's more a necessity in automatic weapons where inertia, pressure, and the opening of the action while there's still a fairly high amount of pressure in the system could back the primer out.

As I understand it, the faster the rate of automatic fire, the more likely this is to happen.

Unless you're shooting a SAW or Minigun, there's no need for you to crimp your primers.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 23, 2009, 08:47 AM   #4
fhwiggins

Thanks for the information! I am just shooting semi-auto and did not want to crimp unless it was necessary to be safe!
Old July 23, 2009, 08:57 AM   #5
Sevens

And if you are loading for a SAW or minigun, I highly recommend you look at a progressive press!
Old July 23, 2009, 09:50 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Nope, not a safety issue at all.

I have heard that primer crimping truly became a necessity and common when aircraft began to mount guns where the pilots couldn't clear jams. A primer popping out of the case during cycling has a pretty high liklihood of causing a stoppage within a few rounds, if not immediately.

I've seen several belts of US machine gun ammunition from World War I where the primers were not crimped.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.