The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 15, 2014, 11:51 PM   #1
Gary L. Griffiths

Any Easy Way to Convert Berdan-Primed Cases?

I just bought 1,000 rds of Carl Gustav 5.56mm 62-gr LAP rounds (the equivalent of M-855 bit with better bullets) and was surprised and disappointed to discover they are Berdan primed. I know its (1) possible but difficult to reload them using Berdan primers, and (2) possible to drill out a central flash hole so they can be used with Boxer primers.

Does anyone know a relatively easy way to do the latter? While I like the thought of being able to shoot them in the field without worrying about losing good brass, I really hate just throwing away such beautiful brass cases. Thought I'd see if any of the experts here have a quick and easy way to convert them. Any suggestions?

Thanks, folks!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old August 16, 2014, 10:01 AM   #2
Mike40-11

It's possible but there is no easy way. I've done it experimentally with 8mm but it's more trouble than it's worth. Especially for something as common as 5.56. You can get once fired Lake City from Widener's for $62/1000.

The only way I would bother with it again would be for some obscure caliber I couldn't find boxer brass for.
Old August 16, 2014, 11:37 AM   #3
Bucksnort1

Berdan Primed Cases

I agree with Mike40-11; however, there are some You Tube postings of converting. I recall it requires drilling the Berdan pocket and using large rifle primers.
Old August 16, 2014, 12:02 PM   #4
Jim243

There are u-Tube videos on how to do it. First pop the bedan primer out with a doll rod and water in the case. Then take a boxer primer and carefully remove the anvil and place it in the primer pocket and seat it.

It's best if you watch the videos on how it is done.

I was going to do it for a bunch of 7.62x39 cases, but decided better on it since I have a lot of brass cases already loaded and can just shoot these and reload them.

But it can be done.
Jim
Old August 16, 2014, 08:39 PM   #5
Marco Califo

Quote:
First pop the bedan primer out with a doll rod and water in the case. Then take a boxer primer and carefully remove the anvil and place it in the primer pocket and seat it.
I like this idea better than drilling, but, if you are just going to remove the primer . . . then Berdan primers are available here:
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/ Click on Primers, then Tula. They are not any cheaper, but they are in stock. I do not know if the two items they have in stock would fit OP's Berdan brass.

Here is the tool to remove Berdan Primers (not using the water and dowel method):
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/245...decapping-tool
I watched someone use one once, and would not say it looked easy. More like a knuckle buster (when you punch the wall in frustration).

From Midway description:
">Primer-removal process is significantly slower than decapping boxer-primed cases.
>Replacement pins are available, product number 134-121.
>RCBS does not recommend using this with crimped-in primers (military crimp)."

Last edited by Marco Califo; August 16, 2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old August 16, 2014, 08:44 PM   #6
kostner

Don't waste your time just consider it emergent ammo and buy some good ammo or some once fired brass.
Old August 19, 2014, 04:15 AM   #7
TimW77

Berdan Primed Cases

The best way to convert these cases is to convert them to SCRAP brass...
Old August 22, 2014, 10:54 AM   #8
Smokey Joe

EASY way??

Short answer: No.

If there were, people would do it as a regular thing. There isn't, so it's only done with rare/expensive/irreplaceable cases.

Every time this question arises, somebody proudly states that they do it as a regular thing, rather than using available Berdan brass. (Shrug.) Well, it's a free country.

My thought: Unless you actually LIKE doing putzy, difficult, expensive activities which could be easily and inexpensively avoided, forget it.

You only have just so much time on this Earth, and most of that isn't hobby time. Don't waste your hobby time.

--Smokey Joe
Old August 22, 2014, 01:30 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

I did it with some foreign brass once.

It was tedious.

I put a mandrel into the case, and a punch into the primer pocket, and flattened the Berdan anvil.

I then put the case into a centering chuck on a drill press and drilled a new flash hole.

Time per case, about 3 minutes.

My suggestion is scrap that brass and get some with Boxer primers.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 22, 2014, 01:32 PM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Then take a boxer primer and carefully remove the anvil and place it in the primer pocket and seat it."

The only problem with trying that is that most Berdan-primed brass is made in countries that use metric sized primers.

Standard US small and large rifle primers won't fit.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 22, 2014, 01:46 PM   #11
Jim Watson

There was a gimmick shown for converting 7.5 Swiss. Their Berdan pocket is only a LITTLE larger than Boxer LR, so the procedure included peening the edge of the pocket enough to hold a LR. After the anvil was hammered down/drilled out.
Old August 22, 2014, 09:06 PM   #12
Gary L. Griffiths

Guess the bottom line is, "No!"

Thanks for all the info, guys!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)