The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 13, 2014, 08:23 AM   #1
Blaked3

H335 and .308?

Hi guys. Second post here. Always reading what you guys have to say!

Have a quick question. Would it be the BEST choice to use h335 reloading .308 with a 150gr barnes tsx bullet? Remington 700 sps tact. 1:12

Reason being.. Is a ball powder and flows like a dream.I also reload quite a bit .223 and would be very convenient for them both to be the same in the powder measure...
Is there a better powder I should be considering like varget?

Am open to any comments and suggestions!
Old August 13, 2014, 08:27 AM   #2
jwrowland77

H335 is great in .223, but wouldn't be my first choice for .308.

If you like a ball powder, try and find some Alliant Power Pro 2000-MR. It's like a squished ball powder. I get great accuracy and velocity from it.

Everyone seems to use Varget. I haven't yet. Haven't really seen a need to.

Another great powder is IMR 4064. I use A LOT of 4064 every year
Old August 13, 2014, 08:41 AM   #3
AllenJ

H335 would not be my first choice but the only way to know for sure is to load up some test rounds and try them in your rifle. Since it sounds like you already have the powder what could it hurt?

What type of accuracy are you looking for?
Old August 13, 2014, 09:27 AM   #4
Bart B.

Ball powder has never been popular for best accuracy with any bullet weight in a .308 Win case; nor any case for that matter. For 150's, IMR4895 or Varget are popular.

A 2/10ths grain spread in extruded/stick powder charges typically produces better accuracy than a zero spread with ball powder.

Last edited by Bart B.; August 13, 2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old August 13, 2014, 09:41 AM   #5
Clark

If I were to work up until loose primer pockets and back off a safety margin and call that my load, H335 will probably produce the highest velocity of any powder with a 150 gr bullet in 308.

If I were to hunt out to 500 yards with a 308 and 150 gr bullet, I would use H4895, because of that powder's temperature stability.

But if I were only hunting to 300 yards, I would probably use the H335 to get the extra power.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 13, 2014, 10:17 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaked3
Have a quick question. Would it be the BEST choice to use h335 reloading .308 with a 150gr barnes tsx bullet? Remington 700 sps tact. 1:12
"Best" can mean a lot of things. Most accurate? Highest velocity?

I think we all have this secret fantasy that we can use one powder for every cartridge we load. You'll just aggravate yourself in the long run.

As long as you can find data for both cartridges, you certainly could use it for both. However, it is often less optimal for one than the other. Notice that Hodgdon's data for H335 and 150gr Nosler E-Tip (essentially the same bullet type as TTSX) has the lowest velocity of any powder tested.

On the other hand, I might suggest CFE223 as an alternative, if you can find any. It is also a spherical powder but is close to max velocity in both of those cartridges.
Old August 13, 2014, 03:51 PM   #7
Paul B.

When I bought my first .308, a Remington 660 woth 20" barrel, my one and only loading manual showed H335 as giving the highhest velocity. THis was early 1973 BTW. I worked up to what I felt was maximum and went hunting. The load was spectacular in many ways. First off I actually killed a deer with it at 427 paces. So doggone it, it would really reach out and touch something. That light M660 was a replacement for a very heavy 1903 Springfield that weight a ton. Sorry as I have no idea what the velocity was but the load was accurate considering my then shooting skills. Some caveats. One, the muzzle blast was extremely loud and the flash from the muzzle was very bright. Brighter than the sun at noon on an August day in Nevada. After the move to Arizona, shooter at the range would move down several benches to escape the muzzle blast. Bullet was the 150 gr. Sierra Pro-hunter although they did not call them that back then. Brass was Winchester with IIRC CCI standard primers. I'm not sure of the charge but for some reason 50.0 gr. sticks in my head so I wouldn't use it. A couple of boxes of stuff never made it to Tucson during the move including the one that held the binder with all my loading notes.
Personally, if I wanted to stick with a ball type powder, I believe I'd go with W748 at least with 150 gr. bullets. The other powders people have recommended are very good as well. I haven't done much with the .308 in a long time as my hunting these days is strictly for cow elk and shooting on paper is with several aother cartridges I'm interested in working with. All I can add is H335 served me quite well when I was using it. I do believe the version I had may have been milsurp at the time.
Paul B.
Old August 14, 2014, 11:04 AM   #8
Jim243

Quote:
Reason being.. Is a ball powder and flows like a dream.I also reload quite a bit .223 and would be very convenient for them both to be the same in the powder measure...
H335 is an excellent powder for bullets ranging from 40 grains to 55 grains in the 223. For heavier bullets I find that H-4895 does a better job in delivering performance because of it's slower burn rate.

If you are looking for a single powder for all applications you maybe disappointed but H-4895 can be used for many calibers with decent results. It has been impossible to find any of it around here lately, but if you can find some jump on it.

Good luck and stay safe.
Jim
Old August 14, 2014, 11:38 AM   #9
Marco Califo

I load both 223 and 308. And prefer bulk powders that will work in both. "Best" means different things to different people. If I had to choose one it would be Varget.

The Sierra 308 load guide includes H335 for many bullet weights. For lightweight bullets it is capable of the highest velocities they publish. This powder is also excellent for 223. So, I will be trying H335 in 308 loads up to 165 gr. Above that weight, Sierra still list loads, but they begin falling 100+ fps behind better suited powders.

Other dual purpose (223 and 308) powders are Varget and AA2460, AA2520, and TAC.

http://www.6mmbr.citymaker.com/f/Sierra308Win.pdf
http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads...223rembolt.pdf
http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...ec_1-23-14.pdf
Old August 14, 2014, 06:39 PM   #10
Blaked3

Tested and approved!!

First I want to thank every for all of the comments and help that was provided!
My .308 reloading equipment finally arrived in the mail today! Was so eager to rip this box to shreds and start loading!
Found some mins and maxes on internet for grn capacity
Leaving tomorrow to go deep sea fishing and had to make a quick analysis
Boy did I have the right decision on this one!
Loaded 3 of the following -
39gr
42gr
45gr
Here's what I got!
http://s30.photobucket.com/user/Blak...tml?sort=3&o=0
So excited! Any comments on if my barnes ttsx 150gr will react the same way?
Old August 14, 2014, 09:31 PM   #11
Bart B.

Any one of those loads may be the most accurate. Statistically, they're all the same size.
Old August 15, 2014, 06:19 AM   #12
mags2079

i use h335 in my 708 and works to my liking. so i see no reason why it would not be good in a 308.
Old August 15, 2014, 08:49 PM   #13
Mobuck

20" barrel, my one and only loading manual showed H335 as giving the highhest velocity

That would be expected. Slightly quicker powder for short barrel.
H335 is a little fast for mid-weight bullets in .308 but will work. I prefer to choose a powder in the middle of the normal burn rate(or slightly slower) if it's available.