The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 4, 2013, 02:49 PM   #1
ZentetsukenVII

Federal .45 misfire

Not sure if this is called a misfire, but I was shootign at my land saturday and let my buddy put a few rounds downrange. After a few shots one round just went "POP" like a cap gun and I heard a sizzle sound. I told him to keep the gun pointed down range and had him hand it to me. I waited about a minute before racking the slide to remove the round. Finally I took a look at the round and this is what I saw:

(Btw this is federal .45 230gr roundnose fmj)

What should I do about this? Should I contact federal? I still have the boxes that I shot, i'm not positive which one the round was in.
Old November 4, 2013, 02:54 PM   #2
ZentetsukenVII

i'd also like to add that the Federal .45 hardball I have seen mostly is slightly tarnished and does not shine like polished copper/brass. I bought a few boxes from walmart before I went up and one box was polished/shiny rounds, the other was the tarnished ones. I know for a fact that the misfired round was out of the tarnished ones.
Old November 4, 2013, 03:23 PM   #3
car

I would assume the case of this round does not have the flash hole punched in it.
Old November 4, 2013, 04:38 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Can you use a flashlight to check for a flashhole. I can't tell for sure from the pictures, but it might also have been a "flipped" primer (loaded upside down), something that almost never happens, but not totally unknown.

Jim
Old November 4, 2013, 05:26 PM   #5
madmo44mag

The primer appears to have been seated in the correct orientation.
If the bullet never moved and the powder is unburned I would say no flash hole.
Old November 4, 2013, 05:34 PM   #6
polyphemus

Quote:
I told him to keep the gun pointed down range
The right thing to do,hangfire flag up.
Contact Federal,they need to know this.
Old November 4, 2013, 10:07 PM   #7
IdahoG36

This type of stuff does happen, although it is rare. In the thousands of rounds that I have fired in my life, I have only had an issue with one round. It was a 9mm WWB round.

I suspect it is becoming more common as ammo companies scramble to produce as many rounds as possible.

I currently have four 100 round boxes of Federal bulk pack .45 awaiting the return of my XDs .45 from Springfield Wednesday. This is my usual range fodder because the 100 round packs are $38 at my local Walmart. I have never had an issue with Federal pistol ammo before.

If you can, try and remove the damaged primer if possible, or remove the bullet and dump the powder out. As others have said, see if a flash hole is present in the casing.
Old November 4, 2013, 11:37 PM   #8
gyvel

I have had this occurrence several times with Federal ammo, but it was all back in the 1980s.

Also, out of that particular box of ammo, about 15 of them left the primer walls inside the primer cup when I tried to decap them for reloading. I assumed at the time that the primers themselves were too soft.

Have had other problems with Federal, notably rims that were too thick and out of spec on revolver cartridges, improperly sized rifle cases, and mass duds in .22 rf.

Since then, I avoid Federal ammo. YMMV

Last edited by gyvel; November 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old November 5, 2013, 01:22 AM   #9
Dragline45

Quote:
but it might also have been a "flipped" primer (loaded upside down), something that almost never happens, but not totally unknown.
I had this happen to me, I cant remember which brand it was but I know I put the round aside and I can take a look at it tomorrow.