The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 14, 2012, 02:20 PM   #51
Terry A

I have four different .45ACPs and the two favorites (tied) are the Glock 21SF and the Springfield XD-45.

I don't own one, but the Sig 220 is also a great choice. Shoots real nice.

I've never shot the H&K or the FN/FNP, however, if I were to get another .45, I'd get the FN/FNP. I've handled them in gunshops and from everything I've read, they're a real solid weapon.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old September 14, 2012, 09:00 PM   #52
KyJim

Like a 1911 but don't trust it for carry? The answer is a single action only Sig P220. My review and thoughts here: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493802
Old September 15, 2012, 07:57 AM   #53
vito

Another vote here for Ruger. I recommend you look at the 345 which is still in production. I have an older P97 which has never, ever, given me even a single case of a problem. It fires everything I put in it. The 345 is essentially the same gun, including having a decocker which for me makes carrying in condition 1 much more reasonable. To me, the only advantage of some other guns is capacity, but I believe that 8+1 are enough for any foreseeable situation.
Old September 15, 2012, 08:08 AM   #54
Bentonville

Another vote for the HK45 or HK45C depending on carry intentions. At least shoot one before you buy something else. They are not that new. I have had mine for several years. There are many out there and with no issues afaik. Good Luck!
Old September 15, 2012, 09:25 AM   #55
ScotchMan

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old September 15, 2012, 09:56 PM   #56
wheelyfun

Sig P220 Compact SAS gen2:

Old September 15, 2012, 10:55 PM   #57
LockedBreech

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelyfun View Post
Sig P220 Compact SAS gen2:

Niiiice
Old September 16, 2012, 11:02 AM   #58
Al Swearengen

Springfield XDm-45 5.25.

Hickok45 likes them well enough to buy one (the 9mm):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7tUb...feature=relmfu

I have the .40 and put 300rd/wk through it. 1,000s of rds and not a single problem. With Powder River's sandpaper grip and match trigger people rave about the thing shooting steel. Its the only gun I shoot anymore.
Old September 16, 2012, 12:37 PM   #59
M1Rifle30-06

I bought a 226 last year and it had to be sent back to the factory twice. I ended up selling it. Idk if I'm willing to risk getting a new SIG, with my experiences and reading about the apparent QC problems with SIG lately.

I've heard the older West German 220's are top of the line in quality. After reading into them though, apparently the early West German 220's had issues with frame cracking. Plus, I'm not sure how I feel about an aluminum frame. I want something that'll last my grandkid's, and I shoot a lot. I know SIG USA makes an all stainless steel 220, but again, I just can't make myself trust SIG USA. At least a polymer frame has steel rails for the slide to ride on.
Old September 16, 2012, 12:55 PM   #60
USMCGrunt

I have always been a big fan of the .45ACP in most any form. However, I have yet to find a pistol that is going to knock my beloved USP-45 off the "king of the .45 hill". It's quality, accuracy, modular ability to built it into several variants that suit me, reliability and ruggedness are what I really appreciate about it. As far as the higher bore axis, yes, the Glock does get in faster split times...about .02-.03 seconds faster so it's not really all that much of an improvement and besides, when I tested this years ago (I really ought to redo these tests again with the newer additions to my collection) using a Virginia count scoring method on an El Presidente course of fire, the HK still scored higher than the Glock because while it was slightly slower, it was more accurate, thereby effecting the score when both speed and precision were being measured. Here's the collection as it stands today:

Two the I did have before that went down the road and aren't pictured here are a S&W 45 Chiefs Special and a S&W SW99. The Chiefs Special went down the road because I thought it was a bit more bulky than some of the other handguns I chose to carry and I didn't really use it all that much. The SW99 was a total dog that didn't shoot all that well, had an awkward manual of arms with the decocking plate, had a magazine release that abraded my trigger finger and just wasn't really all that great of a trigger either.
What I do want to add to this collection one of these days is an HK45, S&W 6045 an an FH FNP45. The Ruger P345 was considered years ago when I got my P90 but went with the P90 instead becuase I prefered the wider decocking levers of the P90 rather than the flatter levers on the P345. Might consider one of them someday but it's not really high on my want list.
Old September 16, 2012, 01:09 PM   #61
ESI Agent

Another vote for the Ruger P345 or a used P90. Have both and both have been 100%. Durable/reliable, made in the U.S.A. and a life time warranty.
Old September 16, 2012, 09:48 PM   #62
jolly roger

Gotta say that for carry and accuracy my M&P 45 Compact is probably the best 45 I have had. Better than Glock 30 width wise. Zero issues. 1911s just don't do it for me either.

My Sig 220 ST though is a magical tool...but HEAVY.
Old September 17, 2012, 07:42 AM   #63
gp45acp

I have several 1911s (Remington Rand, Kimber, RIA, Metro Arms), but the Ruger 1911 tops them all. There is just something about that gun.
Old September 17, 2012, 10:13 AM   #64
vba

Absolutely no problems with my 1911's (Colt 1991A1 and Les Baer Concept V). Both have given me no problems and feed everything including 255 grain SWC designed for the 45 Long Colt.

Have been shooting 1911's since 1982 and have rarely found a gun that is not reliable, that is not related to a bad magazine. There are just TOO many 1911 manufactures out there with varying degrees of quality.
Old September 17, 2012, 05:15 PM   #65
federali

Recommend the S&W 1911 or the M&P .45

My S&W 1911 has been 100% reliable, even with semi-wadcutters, right out of the box. My M&P is also 100% reliable with factory loads. I got a bit careless and ended up with some slightly high primers in my hand loads which the M&P does not like at all. Once I identified and fixed the problem, the M&P has been 100% reliable with both factory and hand loads.

I would not hesitate to use either in a self defense mode. The M&P is my home defense gun
Old September 17, 2012, 05:28 PM   #66
Patriot328

HK45 and 45c. Get the LEM trigger. One of the best shooting pistols in their respective class.....
Old September 17, 2012, 06:26 PM   #67
Tactical Jackalope

Scotchman -____- I'm jealous. I want your Hk45. I want your Hk45 and I want it now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old September 17, 2012, 11:55 PM   #68
DHart

Much as I love 1911's (and I have a bunch of them), my go-to .45acp models are the G21SF and the G30. You should seriously consider these... they are fantastic, reliable, accurate, durable weapons.

Old September 18, 2012, 12:01 PM   #69
sailskidrive

The Hk45 in the middle is my favorite, followed by the Browning BDA (SIG P220) on the far right... The USP 45 Expert, is by far the most accurate hand gun in my collection.

Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old September 18, 2012, 01:01 PM   #70
drfroglegs

Best 45

In my opinion, Glocks feel terrible and shoot very stiff. I shoot the XD45 the best with the least "felt" recoil (which is why I own one, tactical 5" barrel).

That being said, if I could buy one right now i would probably get a S&W 45, they feel sooooo good in my hand. I work at a gun shop part time with over 1,200 pistols so I've pretty much felt them all (not shot them all though).

If you looking for self defense I would suggest XD (shoots best), then S&W (shoots 2nd best, feels best), then Glock (great reputation for not breaking, shoots terrible IMHO).

I attached 2 groups I shot at 20yrds with my XD45 free handed. That's as good as I care to shoot...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-03-07 14.50.40.jpg (52.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-03-07 14.50.47.jpg (57.4 KB, 33 views)
Old September 18, 2012, 10:18 PM   #71
jfrey

Best 45

You have basically 6 choices: Les Baer, Briley, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, and a truely made to order custom gun from a few highend smiths. None of these choices are cheap but if you want the best you have to pay for it.

Certainly less expensive guns will serve you well. I like my Glocks, but it is the old Chevrolet vs Mercedes thing. When you talk about the "best",there is just something special about owning a truely custom 1911 that runs like a Swiss watch.
Old September 19, 2012, 07:42 AM   #72
Lucky 7

As much as I love my 1911s or Tanfoglios, the .45s that never failed me and offered reliability, accuracy, durability, and shootability are the S&W 4506-1 with the ugly-as-sin adjustable sights and my carry 4513TSW (first production run). They are completely over-built (the 4506 can take .45 Super with a recoil spring swap after all) and completely trusted.

3 cheers for S&W for discontinuing these great guns.

-Lucky
-PMI Sgt. Hopkins, USMC
Old September 19, 2012, 07:54 PM   #73
OldSchool59

As others have said, its a pretty individual thing this "Which gun?" question. In my own experience I have become attached to my FNP 45 Tactical as my full size choice and my Glock 30 as my carry. Both shoot dead to point of aim and eat everything I feed them.

Having said that, my next .45 will be a classic style custom like a Wilson, Les Baer or similar because the OldSchool part of me needs some steel, some wood and the liability of putting an idiot mark on a $3k piece of art.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:34 PM   #74
iMagUdspEllr

The weakness of most 1911s are the magazine (especially the factory ones). However, if shoddy assembly is to blame you could always buy an Ed Brown, Les Baer, Wilson Combat, etc. Or, you could buy a Colt, Springfield, or a S&W and (if it ends up having problems) send it back to them so they can make it right. Other 1911 manufacturers might not be as helpful.

I have never heard of Glock 21s kabooming. I have heard about plenty of Glock 22s kabooming. I believe this is mostly due to using reloads that are too hot. AND, you can always buy an aftermarket barrel with a fully supported chamber (and lead-friendly rifling).

I like the CZs. I was considering buying a 85 Combat. They are hard to find, though. I haven't been able to pick one up to see how it feels.

The HK USP 45 and the HK45 seem to have a similar distance from the bore to the hand, so I wouldn't bother looking at the HK45.

My XD(M) in .40 doesn't seem too snappy for me (especially after I put a solid guide rod in) despite the high bore axis. But, yeah it definitely doesn't sit as low in the hand as a Glock.

S&W M&Ps are good guns. However, they have a horrible trigger. And, the .45 caliber variants carry fewer rounds than XDs, Glocks, FNPs, etc. It can be greatly improved with aftermarket parts, though. I would recommend it if you don't mind buying the aftermarket parts. I would also wait before you bought one, though. Supposedly, S&W is putting an upgraded trigger in their M&P line of pistols (similar to the S&W Shield's trigger).

I had an FNP-45 Tactical and it was awesome. However, I had to get rid of it because it was too large for me (I have small hands *shrug*). I just wish the safety wasn't made of plastic and felt more positive to engage, disengage, and decock (still an awesome gun).

I am not a fan of DA/SA. I'm not a fan of guns that have the safety installed on the slide (makes clearing malfunctions un-fun and you can accidentally engage the safety). Therefore, I do not recommend the Beretta PX4.

IMHO if the 1911 and the Glock shoot fine and you are on a budget I would go with the Glock. Don't shoot reloads. If you have money to blow and don't mind the lower capacity, get a Wilson Combat/Les Baer/Ed Brown/etc.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:42 PM   #75
WVsig

For me if I am looking at a 45 ACP I look at 1911s and then the Sig P200. I have owned a HK45, shot the FN45 extensively as well as the Sig P245 and many others.

I have smaller hands and the 1911 is the best 45 I have ever shot for me YMMV. The P220 is next but it is a distant second.

If you have had issues with 1911s reliability I would suggest a semi-custom like a Les Baer, Dan Wesson, Ed Brown, Wilson etc.... For the money I personally think Dan Wesson and Les Baer are the best value. If money is no option I like a full custom job.

My 3 best 1911s are a Les Baer TRS, followed by a Wild West Guns Custom Colt CCO and then a Dan Wesson CBOB. I trust my life to any of these guns early and often....